Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/8/2022 at 8:57 AM, Avenger 2.0 said:

Just got a broken Nikon ED AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f2.8 D for €99 (The Bourne Lens) that was easy repair  😎 

Best lens deal of the whole thread. Though i got a set of Tevidons, 10, 16, 25, 35, 50 and 15-150 zoom for about 150USD. All like new from the factory. I call that the second best deal of this thread. 🙂

Haha, I know. But he screwed me pretty bad too in a way, like many others, getting me good deals to spend my money on and making me spending and spending...

Today I found two LX15, one without a battery, but both for so little money, it´s not even funny! If it is not a scam, that would mean two 4K s16sensor cameras for the price of a used GH2, lol! 🙂 Leica branded zoom lens with 1.4 fstop on the wide end included. Just sayin to get the referrence to the topic of this thread.

These Tevidons are hard to mount. You need the Tevidon to C-mount adapter, for which you first unscrew the original mount and exchange it with the adapter. Then you need a c-mount to mft fi. which needs to be deep enough to get the lens to infinity. So basically two adapters, which I got but the mft-cmount one not beeing deep enough.

Only thing I got mounted was the 35mm on my Lumix S1. Well..

I´m thinking, who knows who you bought some tasty treats from for little money. I bet you will might have a big smile on your face right now. 🙂 @webrunner5

Tasty.:) I remember Matthias Burling loved his EF 35mm F2 dearly. Looking intense! But what is with the other awesome talent? I know it´s is a good thing to work with different talent. Still, how could you? 🙂 @mercer

How is the manual focus, hard stops at least, sufficient long focus throw. If so, a must buy it seems for stabiholics.

I bought a FD 35mm f2 silverring a couple weeks ago, the version without the radioactive elements though, but still with that unpractical but very pretty silver ring.:)  I love the rendering a huge deal when I used it on my Bmmcc with a 0.71 focal reducer giving it standard mft sensor size crop. Will have to give it a ride with my S1 soon.

Tasty.:) I remember Matthias Burling loved his EF 35mm F2 dearly. Looking intense! But what is with the other awesome talent? I know it´s is a good thing to work with different talent. Still, how could you? 🙂 @mercer

How is the manual focus, hard stops at least, sufficient long focus throw. If so, a must buy it seems for stabiholics.

I bought a FD 35mm f2 silverring a couple weeks ago, the version without the radioactive elements though, but still with that unpractical but very pretty silver ring.:)  I love the rendering a huge deal when I used it on my Bmmcc with a 0.71 focal reducer giving it standard mft sensor size crop. Will have to give it a ride with my S1 soon.

On 4/14/2022 at 4:21 PM, webrunner5 said:

Marty how can you sleep at night screwing that person so bad lol. 😮

Still cracking me up big time! 🙂 You still have not told us how many great deals you made with best of concious:)

4 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Still cracking me up big time! 🙂 You still have not told us how many great deals you made with best of concious:)

Well I am the person that is usually the one that is selling it for half what I paid for it 1 week later. Someone has to be the dumb ass for there to be a great deal.

On 4/21/2022 at 6:12 AM, PannySVHS said:

Thanks Panny. The 35mm is a great lens and it's decently priced. Of course, I think Canon recently discontinued it, so the used ones seemed to have went up in price a bit, but you can sometimes find a refurbished one on the Canon site for a reasonable price and a warranty. Canon USM lenses are a mixture of mechanical and electrical, so the focus ring will keep spinning around externally, but if you pay attention to your focus, you can feel the hard stop internally. So... it kinda has hard stops.

My other actor is still around... I think he was holding a reflector in one of those shots and he's in the Grim Reaper costume in the other.

If you're dying to see some shots of him...

Here he is in a test I was doing with the older Sigma 50mm 1.4... such a great lens... with one of the worse focus rings I've ever used...

5FFEDF4D-D8B2-4F35-A05E-2D900D26CAD4.jpeg

1C616678-CF86-4DE8-8DE5-79780A217141.jpeg

My fellow lens nerds, I need some lens advice. I just got the GH5 again, and I was toying around with the nifty focus transition (focus pulling) feature with the only native MFT lens I still have: the Panasonic 25mm 1.7. I love it so much I want to fill out a set of native maybe 3 native lenses so I can use this feature in narrative film projects. I have a nice set of FD lenses and a follow focus, but I love the idea of just being able to tap the screen to pull focus.

So I was thinking of getting more Panasonic lenses, but I'm not a huge fan of the 20mm focal length, and I've gotten sick of 14mm. So I'm also considering Olympus lenses. I prefer 17mm (35mm FF equiv is my favorite FOV) and it does have a longer lens at the tele end at 45mm. But I honestly kinda want longer a longer focal length than 45mm or 42.5mm (something closer to 150-200mm FF equiv) and the only options there are more pricey zoom lenses.

Does anyone know if the focus transition feature in video only work with native lenses, or could EF lenses with an electronic adapter/focal reducer also work? I'm just trying to consider all options.

On 2/28/2022 at 10:47 PM, PPNS said:

not sure if anyone gives a shit, but since there's a new MFT camera out, i thought this could be useful for some people. a little 1 minute field of view comparison test from the same camera position using some of the nicest cine lenses for the money, the meikes, with only available light:

excuse my lack of acting abilities and general laziness, but i think they look nice, and they match really well. 

it's the long awaited sequel: man taking a hat and looking out the mfin window

• 2 weeks later...

New Sirui FF cine lenses...  Caleb describes them as being like rehoused vintage lenses, combining the optical properties of vintage glass (flares and haze) with the solid build of rehouses, but for significantly less cost / hassle than the "real thing". 

More benefits from cheap Chinese manufacturing responding to the vintage lens craze.  Good stuff IMHO.

Anyone got any suggestions for tiny travel lenses? Looking for something I can put on my Sigma FP that doesn't make it not "pocketable".

I was looking at the helios 33 which is 35mm f2 (good focal length imo) but it only covers S35 🥲

• Super Members
4 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Anyone got any suggestions for tiny travel lenses? Looking for something I can put on my Sigma FP that doesn't make it not "pocketable".

I was looking at the helios 33 which is 35mm f2 (good focal length imo) but it only covers S35 🥲

If you pick up an M to L adapter then it opens up a lot of affordable compact M mount options that will cover full frame.

These are from the sub $250 7Artisans 35mm f2 on my FP.

7Artisans35mm_COMP.thumb.jpg.4e428cbe58ece6ab267bd0da478866c8.jpg

It adds minimally to the weight and size when on the FP even with the adapter.

1536510499_FPOUT001.thumb.jpg.ad4e1ed25f309e86c7958a8886c71ffc.jpg

Dear friends, So here is my recently aquired Canon Fd 35mm F2 in action, along with the 50 1.4 scc, and the Vivitar "Bokina" 90mm F2.5. Cameras rented Gh5 and my own S1. Gh5 on a Speedbooster was ACam, which is still a fantastic camera and has much better menues than the S1 btw.

Anyway, the 35mm was in use on both cameras for the shots inside. Outside it was Gh5 with a rented Canon L 24-105 plus S1 with the Canon FD 35. It's always a pleasure to put ones own lenses into action for a shoot. I really like the 35 , the rendering and feels great in hand. The S1 and the 35 give a pretty looking outfit together.

So here is the video, shot, directed and edit by me. Finushed just yesterday:

• Super Members

Bit of background....

I've been doing stuff on and off for a while with the FZ2000 in pursuit of it being the modern equivalent of my Dad's old cine camera. 

Something to take on holiday as an integrated system without any other accessories.

Also something that I could shoot in with a single profile and then create a single "development" step for it so it would be the equivalent of my Dad sending his exposed Kodachrome cartridge off and getting the finished product back from Kodak, with the goal of that single consistent look without noodling about in post. 

The FZ2000 has an awful lot going for in that respect as it has internal ND, decent codecs, v-Log and of course the stabilised 24-480mm lens, hence it being in here.

Had an opportunity to give it a go in the tourist cine camera role this weekend at the F1 Classic Grand Prix in Monaco and here are some frame exports from the footage, shot in v-Log using the 200mbps all-i HD codec.

MonacoCollageRedux.thumb.jpg.405d7a24518bbc6f1133e90ca6c3bd90.jpg

These days, of course, I'm on the punter side of the fence rather than the press side of it so its a lot more restrictive in terms of shooting but that is where the massive range of the lens on the FZ2000 comes into play in enabling you to get a lot of shot sizes quickly and maximising the coverage you can get.

When shooting in HD, the very clean digital zoom extension gets you out to around 1000mm equivalent and the image stabilisation makes hand holding at that range realistic. Shot in 180 degree shutter as its more about the event itself (and is purely for motion rather than for stills extraction) than the cars so the motion blur on the cars is not a defect 😉 

The lens itself is very sharp so I've got a 1 strength Glimmerglass filter on it permanently to take some of the edge off.

On 5/18/2022 at 3:33 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Bit of background....

I've been doing stuff on and off for a while with the FZ2000 in pursuit of it being the modern equivalent of my Dad's old cine camera. 

Something to take on holiday as an integrated system without any other accessories.

Also something that I could shoot in with a single profile and then create a single "development" step for it so it would be the equivalent of my Dad sending his exposed Kodachrome cartridge off and getting the finished product back from Kodak, with the goal of that single consistent look without noodling about in post. 

The FZ2000 has an awful lot going for in that respect as it has internal ND, decent codecs, v-Log and of course the stabilised 24-480mm lens, hence it being in here.

Had an opportunity to give it a go in the tourist cine camera role this weekend at the F1 Classic Grand Prix in Monaco and here are some frame exports from the footage, shot in v-Log using the 200mbps all-i HD codec.

These days, of course, I'm on the punter side of the fence rather than the press side of it so its a lot more restrictive in terms of shooting but that is where the massive range of the lens on the FZ2000 comes into play in enabling you to get a lot of shot sizes quickly and maximising the coverage you can get.

When shooting in HD, the very clean digital zoom extension gets you out to around 1000mm equivalent and the image stabilisation makes hand holding at that range realistic. Shot in 180 degree shutter as its more about the event itself (and is purely for motion rather than for stills extraction) than the cars so the motion blur on the cars is not a defect 😉 

The lens itself is very sharp so I've got a 1 strength Glimmerglass filter on it permanently to take some of the edge off.

That explain Leclerc's accident.

"That guy is not using a full frame, really!!!???? ...oh shit" (bang)

Interested in getting one of the FZ's as a concert camera (security in stadiums tend to hate cameras that changes lenses).

On 5/19/2022 at 2:33 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Bit of background....

Wow - hugely impressive results (as usual).

I must admit that the allure of a zoom lens has entered my thoughts of late, just through the sheer convenience of being able to see something and then capture it without delaying so much that the composition has evaporated.

The FZ2000 really is something!

On 5/21/2022 at 3:44 AM, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

And one more note: that newer anamorphic Laowa Nanomorphs are amazingly cute.

Yeah, first time I've seen an anamorphic offering with enough squeeze and low-enough weight that I'd even contemplate it for guerrilla hand-held work.  I was hoping that the cheap Chinese manufacturing would eventually make anamorphic glass affordable and then accessible and it looks like it's finally happening.  Super interesting!