Lenses

Andrew Reid

I can relate to that pretty well, Glenn. In six and a half years I have not built a set nor have I really thought about it. 🙂

Lenses are a hobby and recreational pleasures as well to me as being tools for my short films and corporate videos. So I am buying and trying them (ideally) and selling them if not satisfied (ideally:).

I still have an used set of Tevidons of 10, 16, 25, 35, 50, 18- 90, 15- 150 which is as good as brandnew. Also have some doubles and roughed up 70ies. I was only able to rig the 35mm to my S1 in S35 mode. So trying out lenses to me is not as profane sometimes as it should be.

I just bought a Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm Sonnar F3.5, which is supposed to be a beautiful image taker, as many 135s are indeed. My sample has a spot of fungus in it. So that cools the passion to test it down a bigger deal. The 35- 105 I put on ebay the same day I received because of the faulty focus.

Still it is very relaxing to play with cameras and lenses it is a great pleasure. It gives me so much joy and good spirits. But my "collection" of lenses is pretty chaotic. 🙂

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 hours ago, mercer said:

That's a great lens. It's rumored that Canon was so impressed by it that it had been considered to receive the L moniker.

@PannySVHS I read somewhere that early on Canon were much pickier about which lenses got the 'L' designation and there are a number of non-L lenses that would have been given the L status if released decades later.

In that sense it's really down to reading the reviews and looking at sample images.

The Canon L 20-35 F3.5 should be a hell of a lens by your account. It´s one I have had my eyes on for a while. @kye

The 35-105 could have been a dream zoom lens for a full frame video camera. But the plasticy quality but foremost the problem with the bearings keep me from trying another one. Maybe I should keep my sample to start practicing some lens doctoring. But I think I am to nervous for stuff like that.:)

I think with the prices of the FD 20-35 3.5 L for about the same or maybe less, can get the later EF 20-35 2.8 L and while I am a fan of FD L lenses in particular, and I am not a huge fan of zooms, there is just something about the old EF 20-35 2.8 L that i hang onto mine (the alternative is throw it in the trash since it is very battered and the MF/AF switch cover is gone and I use a piece of coloured electrical tape in its place).

not sure if anyone gives a shit, but since there's a new MFT camera out, i thought this could be useful for some people. a little 1 minute field of view comparison test from the same camera position using some of the nicest cine lenses for the money, the meikes, with only available light:

excuse my lack of acting abilities and general laziness, but i think they look nice, and they match really well. 

7 hours ago, noone said:

I think with the prices of the FD 20-35 3.5 L for about the same or maybe less, can get the later EF 20-35 2.8 L and while I am a fan of FD L lenses in particular, and I am not a huge fan of zooms, there is just something about the old EF 20-35 2.8 L that i hang onto mine (the alternative is throw it in the trash since it is very battered and the MF/AF switch cover is gone and I use a piece of coloured electrical tape in its place).

Yeah that was a misread on my part. I'm looking for the EF L version. Samples on Flickr look really nice and seem to have a similarity to my FD 50mm 1.2 L.

9 hours ago, noone said:

DO NOT EVER THROW AWAY A WELL REGARDED LENS WITH GOOD GLASS IN IT!!!

Seriously, I'm on the VLFV Facebook group and there are people constantly on the lookout for vintage lenses to re-house, and if it's a classic zoom then that may include those models too.

Even if the front element is scrap there's probably another copy somewhere else where the rear element is scrap and together they'd made a great finished lens.

These things aren't being made any more and are only going to get rarer.  As the price of Leica R and CZ sets go through the roof people are talking about other lens lines more and more, eventually they'll get around to EF and zooms I'd imagine.

7 hours ago, PPNS said:

not sure if anyone gives a shit, but since there's a new MFT camera out, i thought this could be useful for some people. a little 1 minute field of view comparison test from the same camera position using some of the nicest cine lenses for the money, the meikes, with only available light:

excuse my lack of acting abilities and general laziness, but i think they look nice, and they match really well. 

Cool test - thanks for posting.

If acting ability was critical for lens tests then I'd be sitting at my desk looking worried and compulsively drinking coffee too!!

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

You did great considering how many cups of Coffee you drank! Thanks for the work you put in.

Especially considering that it looked like espresso shots with every sip being a bottoms-up situation!

It´s said to be a great lens, version 2 and 3 supposely the best. Though some say all three are very close. I was hunting for low super low prices, since I´m a sucker for 35-70 zooms. But they go for around 70- 100 USD, which is great for what they are but not in the super low territory.:) @Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

Not sure, but I even think it was a Minolta design adopted by Leica. I might be wrong and some research would clearify. 🙂

On 3/2/2022 at 7:07 PM, PannySVHS said:

It´s said to be a great lens, version 2 and 3 supposely the best. Though some say all three are very close. I was hunting for low super low prices, since I´m a sucker for 35-70 zooms. But they go for around 70- 100 USD, which is great for what they are but not in the super low territory.:) @Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

Not sure, but I even think it was a Minolta design adopted by Leica. I might be wrong and some research would clearify. 🙂

Yep, indeed a lot of people say that the Leica Vario-Elmar 35-70mm f/3.5 is the same lens reshoused (the controls of both lenses are very similar).

I have the version III, I guess (the one with macro). Some time ago I took some shots with my GX9 and it was VERY sharp; since my old lenses are looking sharper in my X-S10 (probably because of the thinner sensor stack, and increased resolution), I will take a spin when I can.

On 1/19/2022 at 5:25 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Contax-Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f2.8 on Sigma FP

Shot about 25 mins apart on a very changeable weather wander!

CY_135_FP_reduced.thumb.jpg.e05795e3b3e07c75e5c803fdc2d6db71.jpg

Sometimes dreams come true, because I just picked one of these up for $40 CANADIAN DOLLARS at a pawn shop. I'm happy to add it to my 28mm 2.8, 35mm 1.4, 35-70mm, and 50mm 1.4 Contax Zeiss set, which all cost me a hell of a lot more.

I've never had a 135mm lens, and find it a little odd, but I think it's going to make an awesome intermediate lens for filming events with a tripod.

• 3 weeks later...