Lenses

Andrew Reid

I can not believe that Ebay "thinks" my ancient Canon 24 1.4 L FD is worth more than my Canon 17mm tilt shift?

This photo with the TS (with a lowly 12mp "non photo" camera) got a highly commended at the Mono awards 2020 (Australian B&W photo competition that attracts thousands of entries) and highly commended means it got past the second short list but not the final thirty.

IF live music ever starts up again, I look forward to getting back to using the TS for both video and photos of full bands from next to the stage.

DSC03614sm.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

you should shoot more mono no0ne. Thats rather good 🙂

I'm on my third russian lens. This one is interesting in the fact, there's no play anywhere, its quite smooth to turn and it came with an ef adapter that has the tiniest amount of play i have experienced in any adapter so far. putting on the 60d it seems to focus on infinity going to try it on the p4k tomorrow. The orchard near me is out in flowers so i want to capture it with the p4k.

Downside is the last few days have been 60 km an hour winds. Which isn't really conducive to me videoing anything outside.

p4k-russian-lens.jpg

On 8/18/2020 at 9:07 PM, noone said:

They make the constant for many reasons and I am glad they do (not crippling).

I would prefer if they left out the baffle / secondary aperture to artificially stop down the lens at the short end. The whole point is that this property is added in addition, the glass for the brighter wide end is already there.

Here is the secondary aperture in action:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/01/finally-the-nikon-z-24-70mm-f2-8-s-lens-teardown/

"There’s a cam that inserts into the zoom barrel, changing the size of this secondary aperture as you zoom."

And without it, that lens would not be 24mm f/2.8 but something like 24mm f/2.0, without any other changes to its construction. If you like not having that extra stop, that's fine with me though.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:48 PM, leslie said:

you should shoot more mono no0ne. Thats rather good 🙂

I'm on my third russian lens. This one is interesting in the fact, there's no play anywhere, its quite smooth to turn and it came with an ef adapter that has the tiniest amount of play i have experienced in any adapter so far. putting on the 60d it seems to focus on infinity going to try it on the p4k tomorrow. The orchard near me is out in flowers so i want to capture it with the p4k.

Downside is the last few days have been 60 km an hour winds. Which isn't really conducive to me videoing anything outside.

p4k-russian-lens.jpg

That lens looks familiar....

I think I paid $20 for it, including shipping.

there's probably a million of them out there.  My other two russian lenses are modded i think, to get infinity. One the helicoid is worn out and there's a real loose spot in the middle the other dosn't quite reach infinity.  i have 3 different brands i think, been trying them out but i think i'm done with russians, not real interested int the helioses , not a fan of the swirly bokeh thing. Might just save up for a modern next like a voightlander 17.5 mm or a proper tripod. Yesterday on sunset i noticed the moon is back but 60km an hour winds straight of bass straight aren't really exciting me to go outside.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Been browsing through this thread looking for info on zoom lenses. Does anyone know of some good manual zoom lenses? Looking for something in the $500-$1000 range. I just want something with a manual aperture. 

What focal lengths and sensor size are you looking for?  and what 'look' do you want, ie, the modern look with lots of contrast and sharpness, or a softer rendering?

1 hour ago, kye said:

What focal lengths and sensor size are you looking for?  and what 'look' do you want, ie, the modern look with lots of contrast and sharpness, or a softer rendering?

Full frame preferably tho S35 is fine too. Something that is reasonably sharp wide open, the faster the better.

1 hour ago, TomTheDP said:

Full frame preferably tho S35 is fine too. Something that is reasonably sharp wide open, the faster the better.

What focal length are you looking for? Namely at the wide end? Plenty of good telephoto zooms, it's the wide angle ones that are hard. 

19 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

What focal length are you looking for? Namely at the wide end? Plenty of good telephoto zooms, it's the wide angle ones that are hard. 

24-35 probably, and I'd rather avoid Nikon as I don't like the opposite focus direction. 

On 9/1/2020 at 3:44 PM, JordanWright said:

Id love to hear your thoughts on the Voigt, ive been eyeing up the 40mm & 28mm EF pancakes as travel lenses on the P6k

The 40mm and 28mm along with the 20mm 3.5 and 90mm 3.5 is my favorite set of lenses. Great separation, smooth rendering, and extremely light. Highly recommend them. With low light performance getting better and better I think they will become more and more useful. 

On 10/27/2020 at 3:39 PM, Geoff CB said:

The 40mm and 28mm along with the 20mm 3.5 and 90mm 3.5 is my favorite set of lenses. Great separation, smooth rendering, and extremely light. Highly recommend them. With low light performance getting better and better I think they will become more and more useful. 

Now, that tip is here for eternity. Thank you. Wish me happy hunting. 🙂

24-70 on RF mount: Sigma vs Tamron?

Replacing ageing Tamron 24-70 VC for something with smoother AF - the focussing can be jumpy and jarring. Looking for decent in-lens stabilisation.

Using EF lenses on RF mount + drop in ND adaptor (so not looking at the awesome and expensive RF 24-70).

Was originally thinking the Tamron G2 but the stabilisation looks sticky for panning. Thoughts / experiences? Anyone using the Sigma 24-70 Art on Canon and can comment on the stabilisation -is it sticky, is it jerky? Mixed reports on internet, some say it’s not effective at all, some say it’s better than the Tamron. Limited footage out there - what I’ve seen looks ok...

Will probably rent both the Sigma and Tamron to test, but only for a day or two, so would be grateful for long term opinions going into this upgrade. Will likely be my workhorse lens for years to come. Cheers. 
Paul