Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, kye said:

I do like a 35mm lens.  I have chosen a 35mm prime as my default lens, and don't even own a 28mm.  I find it's tight enough to focus on a subject but wide enough to still get the environment in the portrait.

even with a crop ?

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I had a quick look at the group for it and once I'd got past the 28294 B&W images one contributor has submitted of his girlfriend I've got to say this particular image might have had me looking on eBay if I didn't already own enough 35mm lenses to start my own travelling exhibition.

793908155_ScreenShot2019-07-10at11_44_40.thumb.png.0a0ccae61596c6b05e5c1e534fb1dcfe.png

Haha, I can’t seem to get away from concert photos on Flickr. 

That sample from the 35mm looks great. I’m gonna keep a look out for one. I prefer 35mm lenses over 28mm but I can only justify so many... right now I have the Canon 35mm and the Nikkor 35mm 1.4. I’m thinking about upgrading my Canon to the 35mm 1.4 L if I can find one for a reasonable price. That lens seems to be on a different level. If I do find one, I’m going to sell the Nikkor 35mm 1.4 and then maybe build a small “D” set or a set of ai-s f/2 lenses. 

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, mercer said:

I’m thinking about upgrading my Canon to the 35mm 1.4 L if I can find one for a reasonable price. That lens seems to be on a different level. If I do find one, I’m going to sell the Nikkor 35mm 1.4 and then maybe build a small “D” set or a set of ai-s f/2 lenses. 

I've never used the Canon but I do have an F mount version of the Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART that in an EF mount might give you enough saving to help build a bigger set of Nikkors.

There are quite a lot of comparisons around but I think this one is pretty interesting from a long time user of the Canon.

https://johncarnessali.com/camera-lens-tests/sigma-35mm-1-4-art-lens/6141

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I've never used the Canon but I do have an F mount version of the Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART that in an EF mount might give you enough saving to help build a bigger set of Nikkors.

There are quite a lot of comparisons around but I think this one is pretty interesting from a long time user of the Canon.

https://johncarnessali.com/camera-lens-tests/sigma-35mm-1-4-art-lens/6141

Thanks for the link. Honestly, I found it to be a wash with no clear winner between the two. If I had to pick one, I think I preferred the Canon. So far on Flickr, there’s hundreds of pages and I’m only a dozen in, Canon is clearly better in my opinion.

With that being said, I don’t know if I can justify the cost of the Canon when the f/2 is half the price and affords me IS.

Thw Sigma is interesting me. I recently contacted the fella that made that ML Raw video I posted a while back... the one at the WW2 re-enactment and he said the lion share of that video was shot with the Sigma Art 50mm 1.4. So, I am contemplating trying the older EX version and then possibly getting the 30mm 1.4... or testing the 30mm 1.4 first and then later on picking up the 50mm.

Also, I paid so little for the Nikkor 35mm 1.4, it doesn’t make much sense for me to sell it... especially since I like it so much...

6C9F0C3D-EEBD-42ED-A811-3042362C7C1A.jpeg

5BC0F224-3EB0-4419-99AC-BD440238BB68.jpeg

Just now, thebrothersthre3 said:

Sigma lenses tend to be wonderfully perfect. I think color rendering also plays a role in how pleasing a lens is. 

I do miss my 18-35 but now being able to get a full frame look with my XT3, vintage Nikons were simply way more affordable. 

I agree. The 18-35mm is a beautiful lens and if I was shooting S35, I’d own one. Honestly though, I’d never use a speedbooster with S35. Super 35 has such a rich cinematic history that I don’t really see the need to deviate from it.

With that being said, Nikkors are awesome lenses and are the cheapest path to a “cinematic” image IMO. Even the Series E lenses aren’t bad. In fact, the 50mm and 100mm Series E lenses are downright excellent.

For me, I’ve learned that I only really use 3 focal lengths... 28mm, 35mm and 50mm in FF terms... so I’m trying to build One/Two lens sets by a few different lens makers to give me some options for the upcoming slate of films I’m shooting over the next year. 

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thw Sigma is interesting me. I recently contacted the fella that made that ML Raw video I posted a while back... the one at the WW2 re-enactment and he said the lion share of that video was shot with the Sigma Art 50mm 1.4. So, I am contemplating trying the older EX version and then possibly getting the 30mm 1.4... or testing the 30mm 1.4 first and then later on picking up the 50mm.

I have the 30mm 1.4 APS-C ART version for the Sigma SD Quattro, which these ones from a few months ago were taken on.1198470753_Sigma30mARTcomp.thumb.jpg.0f20caa9f358a717f75dab9de0fa23d8.jpg

I use it for product shots and it is a good all rounder.

85mm-1.thumb.jpg.503c55ec6f041dd903f4a47731e96b6c.jpg

24 minutes ago, mercer said:

Also, I paid so little for the Nikkor 35mm 1.4, it doesn’t make much sense for me to sell it... especially since I like it so much...

6C9F0C3D-EEBD-42ED-A811-3042362C7C1A.jpeg

I'm definitely going to have to do a merry go round shot when I go back to the UK as the place I'm going pretty much has an identical one.

If I take the SL then I can use the F mount Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART on it so that we can have a true comparison !

1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

I have the 30mm 1.4 APS-C ART version for the Sigma SD Quattro, which these ones from a few months ago were taken on.

I remember those shots... they’re beautiful. I wish I had half of your talent!

When I read that that lens covers the FF sensor of the 5D3; I became instantly intrigued... there’s a slight vignette but I often add one anyway with fast wide angle lenses... my lazy exposure cheat. 

5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm definitely going to have to do a merry go round shot when I go back to the UK as the place I'm going pretty much has an identical one.

If I take the SL then I can use the F mount Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART on it so that we can have a true comparison !

Please do! Of course, now I have to go take new shots so I can try and make it a fair comparison... maybe I should just send you the Nikkor. Ha.

• Super Members
Just now, mercer said:

I wish I had half of your talent!

Nah, I'm just an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of 35mm lenses. Law of averages says that I'll eventually get something in focus and composed properly.

1 minute ago, mercer said:

When I read that that lens covers the FF sensor of the 5D3; I became instantly intrigued... there’s a slight vignette but I often add one anyway with fast wide angle lenses... my lazy exposure cheat. 

Thanks to the wonders of the MC21 SA>L adapter and some electrical tape over the contacts I can actually try that for you on the SL just to see how much it covers.

Be right back ;) 

36 minutes ago, mercer said:

I agree. The 18-35mm is a beautiful lens and if I was shooting S35, I’d own one. Honestly though, I’d never use a speedbooster with S35. Super 35 has such a rich cinematic history that I don’t really see the need to deviate from it.

With that being said, Nikkors are awesome lenses and are the cheapest path to a “cinematic” image IMO. Even the Series E lenses aren’t bad. In fact, the 50mm and 100mm Series E lenses are downright excellent.

For me, I’ve learned that I only really use 3 focal lengths... 28mm, 35mm and 50mm in FF terms... so I’m trying to build One/Two lens sets by a few different lens makers to give me some options for the upcoming slate of films I’m shooting over the next year. 

The speedbooster is really more of a money saver for me as generally wider fast lenses are more expensive. 

I could probably get away with doing 17mm, 50mm, and 100mm in regards to full frame. With more complicated lighting setups its sometimes nice to have a longer lens so you can get the shots you want without becoming a shadow on your subject. 17mm is also nice to get a wide shot in tight spaces. 

• Super Members
41 minutes ago, mercer said:

@BTM_Pix here are some shots I found online from it...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1541382

Right, I'm back with the results.

The bad news is that in a photo aspect ratio its, erm, quite noticeable ;)

1698864104_SL_35mmf1_4001.thumb.jpg.e8c79c7193a9c82cdef6b8b5aab2990f.jpg

The good news (aside from the fact it is sharp) is that in 2.35:1 you can get away with the worst of it if you go for a centre crop :)

1571713698_SL_35mmf1_4002.thumb.jpg.43665560d2cae9873d609b02ca0899da.jpg

And when you aren't shooting white(ish) walls, it makes reasonably OK pictures.

1336404529_SL_35mmf1_4006.thumb.jpg.69b0259e050bf84d9efa52e1bab5b357.jpg

11 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Right, I'm back with the results.

The bad news is that in a photo aspect ratio its, erm, quite noticeable ;)

Yeah that is quite noticeable...

11 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The good news (aside from the fact it is sharp) is that in 2.35:1 you can get away with the worst of it if you go for a centre cro:)

But since I shoot 2:35 with my 5D3, it could just work...

12 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

And when you aren't shooting white(ish) walls, it makes reasonably OK pictures.

This could just work. I actually like the vignetting and imagine it would be great in a b&w noir. And yeah, it’s pretty sharp. 

At more than half the price of the 35mm 1.4... this definitely is an option. Thanks for running the test for me! 

I wonder how well it would match with their 50mm...

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, mercer said:

I wonder how well it would match with their 50mm...

If Leica hadn't have totally fucked everyone over by not supporting the MC21 I could have answered that question as it was on my list to get a cheap used SA mount one !

34 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The speedbooster is really more of a money saver for me as generally wider fast lenses are more expensive. 

I could probably get away with doing 17mm, 50mm, and 100mm in regards to full frame. With more complicated lighting setups its sometimes nice to have a longer lens so you can get the shots you want without becoming a shadow on your subject. 17mm is also nice to get a wide shot in tight spaces. 

That’s a good point. I’ve already forgotten about wides on a crop sensor. On FF, 2.8 or even an f/4 can give reasonable separation and bokeh.

As far as ultra wide angles, why not look into a zoom... Tokina makes a few... or even a Rokinon 14mm?

1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

If Leica hadn't have totally fucked everyone over by not supporting the MC21 I could have answered that question as it was on my list to get a cheap used SA mount one !

Yeah, that does suck. I really don’t like this triumvirate between Panny, Leica and Sigma. I was hoping Sigma would eventually make a video centric camera but the likelihood has dropped now that they’ve joined forces. I think Panny probably had to make a deal with the devil to get Leica to go along with their FF plans.

To back pedal a sec... that shot of yours looks pretty amazing in FF. I love the background separation... minus the aspect ratio difference, this reminds me of old VistaVision films.

Hmm...

@BTM_Pix

27 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said: