Lenses

Andrew Reid

Yeah the new Spyders are really quick to use, and most of it is just push a button and let it do it's thing. The old ones took Forever to calibrate, and like 20 steps at that.

I am not familiar with other brands. They may be as good or better? I have for some reason always used Spyders.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, mercer said:

Here are some more test shots from the Zeiss 25mm 2.8 ZF “Classic” lens...

D9BA3EDE-91EC-4F70-9E54-71E1EC176AA1.thumb.jpeg.9b9a49f0d979eae62cac0930b8f3218b.jpeg

E94AEF14-720B-4BDD-8330-750414867619.thumb.jpeg.2ea6831e3c41f78e210609272389b095.jpeg

348B1BC9-6DD1-4CC3-9744-7E935EAFEDFB.thumb.jpeg.9631e6ce5bdbd6670a339b9fba5aff49.jpeg

I’m in the process of picking out a new monitor, can anyone suggest the best/easiest/quickest color calibration tool... Spyder?

you wanna check the xrite i1, more professionnal than the spyder and the only calibration accepted by some brands like benq to calibrate monitors. must be about the same price

6 hours ago, thephoenix said:

you wanna check the xrite i1, more professionnal than the spyder and the only calibration accepted by some brands like benq to calibrate monitors. must be about the same price

+1 for compatibility.  I have a Spyder and an extended colour 99% Adobe RGB monitor but can't calibrate it in anything but sRGB, despite both products claiming compatibility with the standard.

Buy the monitor (or at least choose the monitor) and buy the calibration device they have "partnered" with.

17 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Xrite i1 display pro IME is best cheap calibrator but the stock software lets it down and you can get much better results with DisplayCal.

DisplayCal is a great software, free and open source, plus it's more powerful than the stock softwares from Spyder and Xrite.

I calibrated my display with it and did the calibration with the Spyder's stock software to compare.

The software DisplayCal applies a driver level correction while the software from Spyder did like an overlay which glitched in certain applications and was visually much less accurate.

19 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

@Volumetrik I use DisplayCal with a Spyder as well. Do you happen to use Resolve? Do you know the process to creating a color correction LUT from DisplayCal to use in Resolve? I am not particularly confident that I did it correctly.

???? DisplayCAL is used to get your screen to show accurate color. Nothing to do with Resolve and LUT creation.

Another with my Voigtlander 40mm. This time on the Z6 in Neutral

z6 test_1.6.2.jpg

@Geoff CB As far as I can tell, Resolve on Windows doesn't use the ICC profile that DisplayCAL (or other calibration software) generates, so you need to create a 3D LUT to have the calibration applied to Resolve's viewers. See: https://hub.displaycal.net/wiki/3d-lut-creation-workflow-for-resolve/ however, some of the information that I found about it is very confusing and contradictory.

6 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

@Geoff CB As far as I can tell, Resolve on Windows doesn't use the ICC profile that DisplayCAL (or other calibration software) generates, so you need to create a 3D LUT to have the calibration applied to Resolve's viewers. See: https://hub.displaycal.net/wiki/3d-lut-creation-workflow-for-resolve/ however, some of the information that I found about it is very confusing and contradictory.

That is only if you are using a external monitor with resolve. If you are using it on your desktop monitor there is no issues.

20 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

That is only if you are using a external monitor with resolve. If you are using it on your desktop monitor there is no issues.

There are two sections in that wiki, one for using it with a Decklink monitor, and one for using it with a desktop monitor. Seems pretty clear in this conversation with DisplayCAL's creator that you need both the ICC profile and LUT (which I just found today, and seems to be a strong confirmation of what I was doing). https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/resolve-lut-for-gui-viewer-profile-loader-both-needed/

"I want my (directly connected) display to be calibrated for the work in Davinci Resolve. I’m using Windows 10. In your guideline “Creating a 3D LUT for the GUI color viewer” I’m advised to install the profile on the system basis – so being loaded via the profile loader and in addition to this using the created 3D LUT in Resolve for the “3D Color Viewer Lookup Table” entry. I just wanted to ask, if that is really the correct way, as I thought that would then apply the profile twice?"

Yes, this is correct. The 1D calibration will be applied system-wide in that case, which is why the 3D LUT must not include it (untick “Apply calibration (vcgt)” on the 3D LUT tab).

This implies monitor calibration will apply to Devinchi as well. Seems that if you do a separate 3D LUT calibration in resolve it will look a bit better according to him. So you are correct if you want flawless calibration.

Another one from my new Z6. Nikon 24-70 2.8G wide open, lighting fill added from camera left.

myface_1.17.3.jpg

On 6/22/2019 at 12:08 PM, KnightsFan said:

@Volumetrik I use DisplayCal with a Spyder as well. Do you happen to use Resolve? Do you know the process to creating a color correction LUT from DisplayCal to use in Resolve? I am not particularly confident that I did it correctly.

I don't have experience with LUT creation in Resolve unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Volumetrik said:

I don't have experience with LUT creation in Resolve unfortunately.

I meant making a LUT in DisplayCal so that the calibration is used in Resolve. AFAIK, the only system-wide calibration that software like displaycal can do is adjust the VCGT, which is gamma and doesn't effect color. So if you calibrate your monitor, you have to follow the steps in that wiki page I linked to earlier. However, it does seem that on Mac, Resolve uses the ICC profile and thus you don't have to go through those steps. I'm not completely sure, and probably a lot of my confusion is from reading contradictory information without realizing that the OS's behaved differently.

On 6/23/2019 at 5:30 PM, Geoff CB said:

This implies monitor calibration will apply to Devinchi as well. Seems that if you do a separate 3D LUT calibration in resolve it will look a bit better according to him. So you are correct if you want flawless calibration.

Thanks, I have since learned that on Mac, Resolve actually uses the system's ICC profile, and thus you wouldn't have to go through those extra steps. It's quite a big difference with the LUT and without, very noticeable on my system. The "1D LUT" he mentions is just a gamma adjustment, while the 3D LUT provides the same color adjustments as the ICC profile does for programs that use system color management.

• Super Members
11 minutes ago, mercer said:

Love the mood. Are those stills or video frames?

Thanks.

They're just jpegs off the SL as I only used the lens for about an hour after I got it before resuming holiday mode so today has been the first chance I've had to look at what I did with it so I was just pushing them to make a LUT with for when I do some video with it.

I want to use it on the Pocket4K (or my newly acquired Micro ;) ) but I don't know whether its just me but I don't seem to be getting much joy with M mount lenses on MFT.

I picked up a dirt cheap A7Rii a few days previously to use with the TechArt to have a poor man's AF high res Leica M but only got chance to have this quick go with the 7Artisans 50mm f1.1, which I love on the SL, but the jury is out with it on the Sony although, again, I'm just pushing jpegs about so need to have closer look when I get more time.

7Artisans50mmf1.1.thumb.jpg.a014c1cc186b0cb7c3bb0ac6c7dec4f2.jpg

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

want to use it on the Pocket4K (or my newly acquired Micro ;) ) but I don't know whether its just me but I don't seem to be getting much joy with M mount lenses on MFT.

Yeah I’d be curious to see that lens on the P4K. Have you had a chance to use the Micro... or any inspiration/ideas for a grip?

• Super Members
21 minutes ago, mercer said:

Have you had a chance to use the Micro... or any inspiration/ideas for a grip?

I'm waiting on a couple more parts to arrive next week but I've picked one of these cheap RC transmitters up as a starting point.

You can connect the receiver to the Micro and assign controls to each channel of it so a full turn of the wheel will take the focus from near to far etc.

This one has 3 channels (the wheel, the trigger and a switch) so probably looking at focus, aperture and record but I'll need to modify it to remove the springs so that the wheel and trigger don't return to the central point when you let go.

Its more or less the same size as those cheap LANC handles so is size appropriate and will be quite neat to have a wireless control handle.

51Vshlm61vL._SX466_.jpg.87b9c4695f13a71f1fc651b04daa7322.jpg