Lenses

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
25 minutes ago, kye said:

Yeah, that lens is a pretty good match for that situation.  The lack of fast / cheap / stabilised lenses is what pushed me from the P4K to the GH5, and while that lens isn't fast, it's probably the best compromise I've seen for that purpose.

I'm expecting it to fare better on the P4K with its greater sensitivity as it was getting fairly marginal on the OG Pocket that I was using it on at times in lower light.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@BTM_Pix those look great. I love the way you color your work with those cool tones. Did you have to use an IR Cut filter?

I was seriously considering the P4K, but after some serious thought, I’ve decided to slowly build a Micro rig that is cine camera based but also as compact as possible.

How do you think the OG Pocket holds up against the P4K?

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, mercer said:

@BTM_Pix those look great. I love the way you color your work with those cool tones. Did you have to use an IR Cut filter?

I was seriously considering the P4K, but after some serious thought, I’ve decided to slowly build a Micro rig that is cine camera based but also as compact as possible.

How do you think the OG Pocket holds up against the P4K?

Thanks.

No IR cut filter, unless there was one built in to the cheapo vari ND that I had on there !

I'm actually actively keeping an eye out for a cheap Micro now. The Pocket needs an EVF/Loupe anyway so I don't see the Micro needing one as an issue and the extra things it offers over the Pocket are worth it. The expansion port for external switch control is appealing in terms of building a custom handle. I've already made some development steps in preparation for that so it might be something that might be of interest to you when I find a camera. The expansion port also has a composite video output which gives some possibilities for cheap wired and wireless monitoring.

With regard to the Pocket4K comparison, the OG has less of everything and obviously isn't going to win a game of Top Trumps against it.

But...well we know thats not the whole story.

In some respects, I don't actually care how it stacks up as long as it is good enough for the situation I need it for.

On this trip, I had the OG Pocket in a small side panel of my bag with a couple of spare batteries and the 12-60mm lens. The whole thing weighed hardly anything, wasn't bulky and was discreet enough to take shots without alarming anyone.

That just wouldn't have been the same at all with the Pocket 4K so in that situation for me it won hands down because it produced a standard and style of output that was acceptable in a more practical package.

I would undoubtedly have been able to potentially do more with the Pocket 4K and done it in lower light but that potential is worthless if it not practical to actually shoot with it.

If I only had one or other of them then I wouldn't be crying into my beer about what comes out of them even if one of them is "only" 1080p.

I think someone on here was supposed to be doing an A/B comparison ?

• Super Members

Looks like its the rise of the Micro :)

Im super happy with mine. Have settled in on the Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC as my standard lens (on the speed booster).
I stuck on a $10 Fotga variable ND because I couldn't find a step ring for my normal ND. I know from an A/B I made that it is a quite soft filter. But all it seem to do on the Micro is remove moire and make skin look more flattering. So its still on and Ive stopped looking for the step ring :)

My Panasonic 12-35 is going on sale today. Don't see myself using it. Got it as a small option but in reality it isn't all that small. 
Instead my old kit zoom from the GM1 will act as my small zoom. 

A bonus with the 17-50 is that it works perfectly on my EOS-R if I ever need too shoot 4K or for some other reason want to shoot video with a zoom in s35 mode.
I had it with me on a 5 hour run-n-gun but ended up using my old trust worthy 28mm f1.8. Which of course also is quite nice on the Micro.

Looking forward to see you guys build your rigs. Mine is pretty much complete accept a controller thats been stuck in customs for over a week... pissed is an understatement..

9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm expecting it to fare better on the P4K with its greater sensitivity as it was getting fairly marginal on the OG Pocket that I was using it on at times in lower light.

Yeah, the low light from the P4K would be lovely on the GH5 :) 

7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

On this trip, I had the OG Pocket in a small side panel of my bag with a couple of spare batteries and the 12-60mm lens. The whole thing weighed hardly anything, wasn't bulky and was discreet enough to take shots without alarming anyone.

That just wouldn't have been the same at all with the Pocket 4K so in that situation for me it won hands down because it produced a standard and style of output that was acceptable in a more practical package.

I would undoubtedly have been able to potentially do more with the Pocket 4K and done it in lower light but that potential is worthless if it not practical to actually shoot with it.

If I only had one or other of them then I wouldn't be crying into my beer about what comes out of them even if one of them is "only" 1080p.

I think someone on here was supposed to be doing an A/B comparison ?

Completely agree that it's about tradeoffs in getting the shot.

I'm up for the comparison, but grading it is much easier than shooting it (and I don't own the cameras, so...), which is where it's currently at.  In good time :) 

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Looks like its the rise of the Micro :)

Indeed it does!

It's good to see people sensibly trading things off against each other instead of just going for the latest thing.

And speaking more generally about older tech still being good, tradeoffs in size, accessibility, and usability, I thought I'd re-share this 720p video.. 

???

• Super Members
52 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I have that Tamron as well, it is an absolute steal for the price they go for.

Which controller are you getting as a matter of interest, a basic LANC one or something more dedicated to the Micro ? 

Yeah it cost almost nothing on the used market.

Im getting the One Little Remote V4.
I already have a breakout box and the URSA mini handle with start/stop, auto iris and AF through LANC.
With the V4 I will be able to use both.

14 minutes ago, kye said:

And speaking more generally about older tech still being good, tradeoffs in size, accessibility, and usability, I thought I'd re-share this 720p video.. 

Looks very nice.

9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm actually actively keeping an eye out for a cheap Micro now. The Pocket needs an EVF/Loupe anyway so I don't see the Micro needing one as an issue and the extra things it offers over the Pocket are worth it. The expansion port for external switch control is appealing in terms of building a custom handle. I've already made some development steps in preparation for that so it might be something that might be of interest to you when I find a camera. The expansion port also has a composite video output which gives some possibilities for cheap wired and wireless monitoring.

Yes, keep me updated. I am definitely looking for some type of handle that at least has a trigger start/stop via LANC but if it can work the menus and other functions that would be great also... I’m more worried about size than anything. I said ad nauseum when I originally owned the Micro that it was a shame that such a tiny camera needed to be rigged out so much to be useful but that was before a lot of these accessories became available. So, when I finish the eventual rig, tiny is the main priority... c-mount lenses or small native primes/zooms... maybe that old PZ zoom could be useful for a light run and gun native option.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your samples from the OG... I’m actually a little surprised about the lack of IR Cut, I had a lot of issues with IR contamination when I had the Micro and Pocket. 

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yes, keep me updated. I am definitely looking for some type of handle that at least has a trigger start/stop via LANC but if it can work the menus and other functions that would be great also... I’m more worried about size than anything. I said ad nauseum when I originally owned the Micro that it was a shame that such a tiny camera needed to be rigged out so much to be useful but that was before a lot of these accessories became available. So, when I finish the eventual rig, tiny is the main priority... c-mount lenses or small native primes/zooms... maybe that old PZ zoom could be useful for a light run and gun native option.

For a cheap (just over £20) handle with start stop, these are OK I think.

61cSEa6NUjL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.70d27ea116f6f0096cd2149c92cd4551.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-HR-DV-Remote-Handle-Pistol/dp/B00MRNP2LA

16 minutes ago, mercer said:

Anyway, thanks for sharing your samples from the OG... I’m actually a little surprised about the lack of IR Cut, I had a lot of issues with IR contamination when I had the Micro and Pocket. 

Well, I was in Tokyo so maybe the smog takes care of it automatically ;)

• Super Members
1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

For a cheap (just over £20) handle with start stop, these are OK I think.

61cSEa6NUjL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.70d27ea116f6f0096cd2149c92cd4551.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-HR-DV-Remote-Handle-Pistol/dp/B00MRNP2LA

I had that, works fine.

This is also a cheap option that lets you mount it on other types of handle.

D3980-1-7b95-zJNq.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lanparte-BMPCC-LANC-Controller-Video-Remote-Control-Box-Camera-Recording-Switch-/191659274715

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Well, I was in Tokyo so maybe the smog takes care of it automatically ;)

Been to India?

I know the Og Pocket is a great camera and all, but after being enamoured for months and months with the soft painterly light in the video I posted I eventually went there and discovered that about 70% of the look of that film is visible with the naked eye and is caused by the horrendous air pollution.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I first get there and saw it myself - it was like stepping into that film.  You can look directly at the sun without even getting trails in your vision, I'm talking the actual sun itself and not just the bright area around it, and not even limited to sunset, you can do that at 5pm.  

With diffusion like that even an iPhone happy-snap looks like a high DR cinematic beast! 

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Bought the old 17mm f1.8 again. Must have had it five times already. Got for a stills camera but it will definitely come in handy on the Micro as well. 

R0000072-01.thumb.jpeg.f1f40ef4c565f390fc3d64baf93cc4cd.jpeg

I had that lens nearly glued onto my BMPCC. ? Not too big on big rigs on cameras that were designed to be small to start with. Sort of defeats the purpose.

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Bought the old 17mm f1.8 again. Must have had it five times already. Got for a stills camera but it will definitely come in handy on the Micro as well. 

R0000072-01.thumb.jpeg.f1f40ef4c565f390fc3d64baf93cc4cd.jpeg

Nice little set up... all I would add are some lugs to attach a strap to. I find if you have a camera hanging from your neck by a strap, nobody even notices you. I could probably dangle an Alexa Mini around my neck and nobody would look at me twice at the locations I’m shooting at. 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Nice little set up... all I would add are some lugs to attach a strap to. I find if you have a camera hanging from your neck by a strap, nobody even notices you. I could probably dangle an Alexa Mini around my neck and nobody would look at me twice at the locations I’m shooting at. 

Does it give the "tourist with huge camera" look?

form-57373-tropical-tourist-funny-novelt

All joking aside, I’ve always found that a camera hanging from a strap lets you shoot from the hip and inconspicuously so. With the SmallRig screen mount that Mattias has, he can turn the monitor vertical with the screen facing up and get some great shots without anyone the wiser. I’ve shot some great in public shots for my film from the hip... only without the luxury of looking or glancing at the screen. 

Interesting for sure, though... a little iffy without any history? I suppose not the same folks that were behind the VM Lens... http://anamorphicshop.com/product/vm-lens/

Shame Veydra called off their anamorphic endavours. Or any endavours right now... looks like they haven't been up to anything in recent years... there's a couple of Facebook posts sort of denying they've closed up shop for good, but that's actually what seems to be the case here.