Lenses

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, mercer said:

Hmm... are you talking right above his head, or further out to the right? I believe it’s just a darker portion of the cloud but now I’ll have to check to make sure. Thanks (he said sarcastically)

The red one here.

The cluster in blue looked suspect to me as well.

20190430_014336.jpg.d56e9db4765c1a88eb592d36cfa48b80.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, mercer said:

That’s pretty much my assessment too. The FD is a better built lens with better color separation, naturally, but the Samyang seems sharper, naturally, with possibly an easier path for me to get a more neutral modern look. 

Another plus of the Samyang, which seems overlooked in lens tests, is that it has some focus leeway between 15-30 feet... making it much easier to track your subject.

Also, for the price of the Canon, I can have the Samyang 50mm 1.4 and 24mm 1.4... that has to play into my decision a little. Or a lot. 

Btw, here’s another shot from the Samyang that was taken at the same time of day, with a more similar grade...

FBBA6401-1BF9-49A8-B42C-977A4398D2FD.jpeg

Sounds like you're talking yourself into the Samyangs, with their ease of focus, more flexible look, and greatly reduced cost.  Plus, if you get a set of them then cutting shots together will be so much easier.

51 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Do I need to clean my glasses or do you need to clean your sensor?

Neither - those damned beaches are haunted! ?‍♀️?‍♂️???

love that bird shot,  have to google that locally and see if we have something similar happen here. maybe just a toss a box of hot chips around and wait for the seagulls to descend ? might have to buy a couple more fd lenses before people see what mercer is doing with them ?

On 4/29/2019 at 7:29 PM, BTM_Pix said:

I was fine with the ones over water in the other shot being birds but it was the one in the cloud at about 1 o'clock to your actor's head that had me convinced it was dirt

I checked the file and it seems to be a bird. Here’s a lighter grade from the same shot...58DD26EF-DCDB-406A-98D9-114BF5031196.thumb.jpeg.fcea8f6c52cbe0a9681ca6993d3c057b.jpeg

It’s higher in the clouds now. I wish this lens was a touch cheaper... I really do like how it renders. 

• Super Members
30 minutes ago, mercer said:

It’s higher in the clouds now. I wish this lens was a touch cheaper... I really do like how it renders. 

I'm now wondering whether the sensor cleaning frenzy I went on a few weeks ago was actually just out of focus birds in the images ;) 

I have a plastic fantastic coming in the mail today... the Canon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5. I paid less than $60 for it. I’m hoping it matches well with my Canon 28mm 1.8 for a two lens set up. 

The flickr samples look pretty good, has anyone ever used it?

Is anyone else having issues with this thread?  It seems like there are posts I swear I've seen (and posts I swear I wrote) missing.  For example, as I am typing this, the thread shows no posts between the post by Zach with the text " New picture that I took with FD 35-105 F/3.5" and the post by Mercer from Monday beginning with "I have a plastic fantastic coming in the mail today" but I swear there were posts between these.

Or am I getting confused between threads?

@Andrew Reid I've been intermittently getting an error message about connections failing between different databases.  I didn't screengrab it at the time, but will next time it happens.

23 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I get a "gateway is busy" thing a lot if I go back a page sometimes. Never did that before until about a month ago??

That sounds like it's the one I was getting.  Next time anyone notices it maybe take a screenshot in case Andrew hasn't seen it at his end.

Here’s a shot from the Nikkor 28mm f/2. It’s the older non-ai version. I can’t stress enough how much I love wide angle close ups. I’ve been spending some time trying to find the best 50mm but I think I should be on the lookout for a great 28mm. Any suggestions?

E8959769-2F56-42EA-A79E-EC265A687C45.thumb.jpeg.8594e9cb8918094bc39edfde0f030acf.jpeg

• Super Members
45 minutes ago, mercer said:

I think I should be on the lookout for a great 28mm. Any suggestions?

If it wasn't for it being entirely the wrong mount for you, I'd definitely say have a look at the 7Artisans 28mm f1.4 which has been on my radar for a while but been waiting for more reviews.

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-7artisans-28mm-1-4-fe-plus/

The other lens I've been looking at that might be worth a look even though it is a zoom is the Sigma ART 24-35mm f2 

I was definitely going to buy a (cheap) used EF mount one of these for my SL later this week when I'm in Japan but this whole Sigma MC21 fiasco has thrown a spanner in the works for that but with it being EF it won't go to waste if I see a cheap enough one.

One of the shops I know has the 7Artisans 28mm f1.4 in stock so I'll be having a look at that in the flesh.

So expect some sample images from one of these two roughly this time next week.

Or both ;) 

• Super Members

I have the 7artisans 28mm f1.4. Definitely in the same league as their 50mm. I like it.
Have used it a little for video on a Fuji but will give it a go on my BMMCC or BMPCC4K soon, just need to find my adapter. Will order an adapter for the EOS-R as well.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:41 AM, mercer said:

That’s pretty much my assessment too. The FD is a better built lens with better color separation, naturally, but the Samyang seems sharper, naturally, with possibly an easier path for me to get a more neutral modern look. 

Another plus of the Samyang, which seems overlooked in lens tests, is that it has some focus leeway between 15-30 feet... making it much easier to track your subject.

Also, for the price of the Canon, I can have the Samyang 50mm 1.4 and 24mm 1.4... that has to play into my decision a little. Or a lot. 

Btw, here’s another shot from the Samyang that was taken at the same time of day, with a more similar grade...

FBBA6401-1BF9-49A8-B42C-977A4398D2FD.jpeg

Looks great Mercer, glad you are still rocking the 5D III. There is something special about that camera! Only wish it had more DR, as we arent always able to shoot at great shooting times/weather conditions.

Where is this location? I once had a weird dream, and this location looks exactly as my dream however I never been to it. Maybe picked this up unconsciously in a movie or something?

2 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Looks great Mercer, glad you are still rocking the 5D III. There is something special about that camera! Only wish it had more DR, as we arent always able to shoot at great shooting times/weather conditions.

Where is this location? I once had a weird dream, and this location looks exactly as my dream however I never been to it. Maybe picked this up unconsciously in a movie or something?

Thanks zero! I was pleasantly surprised by that lens and I still love my 5D3 but I must admit, it is tough sometimes... I am not that great of a colorist and sometimes I think a GH5 or X-T3 would be a lot easier to get that sharp, modern look.

I’ve never measured it, but the 5D3 with ML Raw seems to have 11-12 stops which is usually more than enough for my needs. As you know, the biggest issue is chroma noise in the shadows but with a faster lens and one of those MX-9 Aputure lights, it’s not horrendous for a run and gun, handheld set up... and usually with a little crushing of the blacks, the chroma noise will disappear. But yes dynamic range is not why you would choose this camera.

Btw I still watch your “Wolf...” ML Raw film on occasion... and it holds up beautifully.

That location is a little beach on the Delaware Bay in southern New Jersey. It’s a tiny, old fishing village with tattered remains of piers and docks. People still live their but the commercial aspect of the village is just a ruins of memory. I posted a frame or two from this location before...44781DD1-025D-4585-9D6E-075023FEB112.thumb.jpeg.95586bccd362f8bf058514844afb817a.jpeg8BEDCC35-AF00-4304-8CA1-48A681C1FD79.thumb.jpeg.5b88890f1bb88adf456239cab3321f29.jpeg

The last one is obviously in the winter but you can see how desolate the location is from the opposite angle. To stay on topic, that last one was shot with an old Minolta MC 35mm 1.8. I bought it with the mount modified to EF but the focus ring is jammed at 3-4 feet so until I get it fixed, I can only shoot close ups with it... awesome lens though. 

@BTM_Pix that 7artisans looks great. If I ever get back into mirrorless, I’m definitely buying the 35mm 1.2. I’d love to see them release a fast 16 or 20mm.

I’ve contemplated that Sigma zoom for a while now and if the price was a little cheaper, I’d give it a go but as is, it’s just too big and heavy. I’ve also read that the 24-105 f/4 zoom is great considering the boring, utility aspects of that focal range of zooms. But paired together, they could make a good two lens set up... the 24-105mm for run and gun daylight and the 24-35mm when you have a little more time.