Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@heart0less Also, I just did the math and to get that 85mm FOV with the G85 in 4K, you’d want between a 50mm and a 55mm.

Honestly, I think you’re making things too hard. Cheap, fast 50s that easily adapt to EF are everywhere. And they’re smaller so the elements will be closer to the Anamorphic (I thought I read that was important?) With the 2.2x 4K crop of the G85 and the .72 of the SB, a 50mm lens puts you right at 80mm FOV and a 55mm puts you at 88mm FOV. You can’t ask for much better than that. IMO. 

1 minute ago, mercer said:

Hmm... that’s a tough one. If you’re going to go with Minolta, it almost makes sense to buy a Lens Turbo II specifically designed for Minolta, then you can have access to the whole Rokkor catalog... speedboosted with IBIS. The 28mm f/2 and 35mm 1.8 are dream lenses.

Nikon also made an old 58mm 1.4 that you can probably get from Japan for a decent price.

And if you are looking to spend a touch more, the Voigtlander 58mm 1.4 in Nikon mount could work for you... but they’re like $400. But the 20mm and 40mm are supposed to be excellent lenses as well, so you could build a kit.

We'll see..
I made myself a promise that after migrating to M4/3 from Sony's FF, I won't let gear obsess my mind any more and I'll try to keep things simple.

3 / 4 lenses, one cheap speedbooster and that's it, nothing more.

Overall, it's just a hobby.

So far, I didn't break the promise, so, please, don't tempt me! ?

4 minutes ago, mercer said:

Anamorphic must be fun with the G85?

It is!

IBIS works wonders.
Using 4:3 4K Photo Mode to record anamorphic video is great. It has its limitations (only 30fps, no way to change it to 24, so I just slow it down in post; no CineD; and no HDMI output), but it doesn't bother me that much.

And it cost me 1/3 of what GH5 would.

6 minutes ago, heart0less said:

I made myself a promise that after migrating to M4/3 from Sony's FF, I won't let gear obsess my mind any more and I'll try to keep things simple.

3 / 4 lenses, one cheap speedbooster and that's it, nothing more.

Overall, it's just a hobby.

Hey, I get it. I just made a list of the lenses I “want” to keep and I’m at 15... that gives me 4 small lens sets, a couple zooms and some oddball lenses I just really like.

As a hobbyist, narrative filmmaker... it is just too many.

Now I have to figure out how many I “need” to keep.

I’m getting a little emotional even thinking about it...??

6 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah seems like a Minolta speed booster makes more sense. 

Can't disagree with you there.

However, I can't justify buying a speed booster meant only for one particular lens.

6 minutes ago, mercer said:

Honestly, I think you’re making things too hard.

I know, haha.
It's just the way I am, always going against the grain.

7 minutes ago, mercer said:

And they’re smaller so the elements will be closer to the Anamorphic (I thought I read that was important?)

Being closer to the anamorphic block is important, but so is focal length (if not more).

It's more like a hit and miss method, really. No one can guarantee that a specific combo will work, unless you test it.

1 minute ago, mercer said:

I’m getting a little emotional evencthinking about it...??

So do I, so do I..

3 minutes ago, heart0less said:

However, I can't justify buying a speed booster meant only for one particular lens.

Have you read the Rokkor Survival Guide on REDuser? Give that thread a read and you will be trading in your lenses for their Minolta equivalents...

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92246-Minolta-Rokkor-Survival-Guide

6 minutes ago, heart0less said:

know, haha.
It's just the way I am, always going against the grain.

Oh I hear you. I went with the Rollei Zeiss because I wanted to be different than everybody else with their Contax Zeiss. It’s been pretty painless but a lot easier when my Leitax mounts arrive. And in the end, for a fraction of the cost of Contax Zeiss or Zeiss Classics, I have a nice 3 lens, single-coated set of Made in Germany Carl Zeiss lenses. 

11 minutes ago, heart0less said:

Being closer to the anamorphic block is important, but so is focal length (if not more).

It's more like a hit and miss method, really. No one can guarantee that a specific combo will work, unless you test it.

Interesting, I just read Tito’s Anamorphic on a budget guide and I found the topic pretty intriguing. Once I narrow down my regular lenses, I am thinking of picking up one of those Century 1.33x adapters if I can find one at a decent price. I love 2:35 so to easily have that from 16:9 in ML sounds pretty appealing. I’d love an Isco 54 but that would break my bank.

2 minutes ago, heart0less said:

I'd rather not, haha. ?

I'm becoming a little tired of constant buying / selling camera gear, even though I manage not to lose any money in the process.

I enjoy the hunt but yeah it can get tiresome. I’ve only lost money on the cheap stuff I bought when I first started messing with vintage lenses. I still have a lot of Nikkor lenses on a saved search just to see if I can find a deal. I don’t want anymore Nikkors but they are quick sellers if you get them for a good price.

Used the Nikon 50mm 1.8 pancake version. This is the non E version multi coated. I am really happy with it, quite sharp wide open. Also used the Tokina 17mm 3.4, which I also really love. Its super wide but doesn't look funky at least not to me. The one I got ended up being in really good shape(super surprised).  

I also dropped the 50mm down a wooden staircase right after I unwrapped it from the package lol. Seems to be fine though. The seller said it had fungus on the rear element, tho I can't see any signs of it. 

On another note I've never shot with Fuji monochrome, its really beautiful. 

• Super Members
1 minute ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I also dropped the 50mm down a wooden staircase right after I unwrapped it from the package lol. Seems to be fine though. The seller said it had fungus on the rear element, tho I can't see any signs of it. 

Bouncing off every step probably shook the fungus loose ;)

4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Used the Nikon 50mm 1.8 pancake version. This is the non E version multi coated. I am really happy with it, quite sharp wide open. Also used the Tokina 17mm 3.4, which I also really love. Its super wide but doesn't look funky at least not to me. The one I got ended up being in really good shape(super surprised).  

Wow that is totally awesome! Best work I have seen you do. That is what I like. Well done.

14 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

nice footage, very smooth looking, to me at least anyway. black + white is certainly holding its own here. good job. i wanna see more b+w now ?

I re-bought the Fujinon-TV 12.5mm to go with my 25 and 50 and did this quick and dirty test. Wide shots are unusable at f/1.4 but good by f/2.8, even better at f/4. Close-ups look pretty good at f/2 since the slight softness is more flattering to skin and the edge softness isn't as noticeable to due to the face being closer to center and the most in-focus in the frame.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:42 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Indeed. There's no similar monochrome anywhere else... Absolute. Magistral. Unique of a kind.

Your glass match perfectly fits to couple your luminous framing as well, keep up your good shooting : )

Just waitin' for X-H2 to arrive in 2020 very likely to follow the promising Nokia 9 Pureview B&W much earlier : -)

On 3/3/2019 at 5:41 PM, mercer said:

Hmm... that’s a tough one. If you’re going to go with Minolta, it almost makes sense to buy a Lens Turbo II specifically designed for Minolta, then you can have access to the whole Rokkor catalog... speedboosted with IBIS. The 28mm f/2 and 35mm 1.8 are dream lenses.

Anamorphic must be fun with the G85?

Nikon also made an old 58mm 1.4 that you can probably get from Japan for a decent price.

And if you are looking to spend a touch more, the Voigtlander 58mm 1.4 in Nikon mount could work for you... but they’re like $400. But the 20mm and 40mm are supposed to be excellent lenses as well, so you could build a kit.

Anamorphic is not really fun - I was happy to read that 4:3 photo mode is supported at 30p 4k, which would have worked well for all slow-mo shots, but found out that the hdmi is blocked. It only works during 16 9 for proper desqueeze and focusing. So basically it is really more a normal 16 9 camera like all the others in that regard. Gh5 anamorphic modes are sweet though...

On 2/25/2019 at 11:55 PM, mercer said:

@PannySVHS haha, that Fujinon c-mount was the only reason I was going to keep the G85. But in the end, I just didn’t use the camera enough. But if I can find another G85 for the right price, that 12.5mm and the 25mm may sway me back to M4/3... old c-mounts and IBIS are a thing of beauty.

old c-mounts and ibis are indeed a thing of beauty!  I shot a video today with a friend, all GX85, awesome Fujinon 12.5mm with a bit of fungus. That lens is the only reason i still have that camera. So this is from today, with grade and edit right after it. I should do that every week. 1hour shootin, no planning ahead. fun thing: shot in vivid, full contrast and sharpness +2, color at +4, though at the lit parts at -5.  Finally my first "real" video with the GX85, after almost two years owning it! :)