Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So, I discovered that the Petri 135/3.5 was marked as delivered a couple of weeks ago, and "left in safe place near front door" and I searched for it but couldn't find it.  I assumed it was lost or the postman stole it or whatever.  It was $7.  I was more concerned with the fact I paid almost double that in shipping!

Anyway, a lady knocks on the door - she lives some way down the street and found it hidden on her front verandah..  the mighty Petri lives!!

So, after cleaning it up (it was absolutely filthy, I think they stored it in a barn, or in the glove box during their desert crossings) and moving the focus control for the first time in about 1000 years back and forth until it stopped making grinding sounds, I took a few test shots.  You know how they say that "there's no such thing as a bad 135mm lens", well, I don't know if that's true, but if there is you should pay a lot less than $7 for one, because this one is lovely!  A little soft wide-open, sharp as hell stopped down a bit, lovely hex shaped bokeh, and it even has a little retractable sun-hood, and came with a soft pouch (that hasn't aged well).  

The mighty Petri 135/3.5 (image taken with Konica Hexanon 40/1.8):

655769549_P1066708Petri135mmf3.5.thumb.jpg.a03a7c4cdbb4d62d8a711fb170f8a1e2.jpg

Sample shots wide open - unedited in any way:

870855473_P1066696Petriatf3.5.thumb.jpg.dabff0004ab03e04fe748113d2a0a9b5.jpg

1675388416_P1066699Petriatf3.5.thumb.jpg.676b4bb63412b9ed656ef8294895e091.jpg

182325944_P1066705Petriatf3.5.thumb.jpg.08c2ce1bdaebe6078b2e649d16c12052.jpg

It's still filthy, and I think there's fungus in it too, but seriously...  

Oh, and these are on the GH5 with a straight adapter, so it's a 270mm lens on the 2x MFT crop.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:55 PM, Coiii said:

Hey everyone!

I'm tempted to buy a SLR Magic Anamorphot adapter, but I don't really understand the differences between the 40/50/65 adapter. Is there something like a list of compatible lenses for the different models? I'll probably gonna buy the cheaper one (40) but I'm not sure about the lens compatibility or what kind of lens should I use.

Each one covers a steadily larger front element.  The 40 covers lenses with 52mm filters. 50 covers I believe 62mm, the 65mm covers 105mm filter. I think. As you go up they cover wider glass and are increased quality. I would not get the 40, it's pretty poor image quality. 

The smaller the front element of the taking lens, the better. 

Just got a Nikon 85mm 1.8 pre ai I am really impressed. This may be my favorite lens I've ever used next to the Minolta 35mm 1.8. Contrast and sharpness wide open is remarkable. I think it also just renders images nicely, can't put my finger on it. 

from the XT3 eterna jpegs, also used a lens turbo focal reducer 

quLohxU.jpg

9R6Blu7.jpg
kNxg6ZO.jpg1d7x4Dy.jpg?1

1 hour ago, Matt Kieley said:

Just got a Pentax Auto 110 18mm f/2.8. This is one of the smallest lenses I've ever used, and incredibly sharp and pretty, especially considering it's stuck at f/2.8. I wish it had an aperture for more control over the depth of field, but it's still good. I might have to get the 24mm and 50mm 110 lenses.

Was that shot with the Micro?

Looks great. I have that lens and the others. The 20-40 zoom is pretty cool as well.

RJ Camera makes an adapter with an aperture built in...

http://www.rjcamera.com/ocart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

27 minutes ago, mercer said:

Was that shot with the Micro?

Looks great. I have that lens and the others. The 20-40 zoom is pretty cool as well.

RJ Camera makes an adapter with an aperture built in...

http://www.rjcamera.com/ocart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

Shot with the GH4, which I just got this past week. I sold the Micro last year to a friend (I still have access to it) and sold the Pocket to buy the GH4. I didn't know about that 110 adapter, but it's a little pricey for me. I mainly got the lens so I could get wide shots in 1080p as my Cosmicar 12.5mm vignettes except in 4K.

The 110 lenses are great.

I have the 18, 24, 50, and 70 and they're all worth getting if you can.

The 70mm is a little pricey compared to the rest, but still can be had for less than the cost of the RJ adapter.

I bought the RJ adapter and it's nice, but mine is currently broken.

If you look at the picture of the rear of the adapter, you'll see 2 silver screws.

Those screws are the only thing holding the front/mount part of the adapter onto the base and those two screws fell out on mine.

I have not been able to replace them as of yet, but I had a aperture less 110 adapter and have just been using that.

Just got a 17mm Tokina 3.5. This was the newer AF pro version. However the seller mismarked it as Nikon mount when it was actually an EF mount. So its useless for me. 

Just got a used vintage version of the same lens in Nikon mount from KEH cameras. They are marked as UGLY condition which isn't reassuring. Hoping I get lucky and get a good one or I may have to do some lens cleaning. 

@Matt Kieley, lookin great, as always. So what you think about the GH4 compared to your  BMCC? What profile, settings did you shoot the video?

I have been enjoying the Fujinon 12.5mm 1.7 for photography and doing video in 1:1 format. This lens is the only reason I have not sold my GX85 yet. Such a pretty outfit. Love to crop the photos in the raw developer in the classic aspect ratios like 1: 1.85, 1:2.0. Raw really makes that lens sing beautifully. Shot the image below last summer but edited it only two days ago.  I guess I gonna keep this combo for another summer:) :)

25 minutes ago, mercer said:

@PannySVHS haha, that Fujinon c-mount was the only reason I was going to keep the G85. But in the end, I just didn’t use the camera enough. But if I can find another G85 for the right price, that 12.5mm and the 25mm may sway me back to M4/3... old c-mounts and IBIS are a thing of beauty.

Speaking of Fuji C-Mount lenses, here's some footage of the 25mm and 50mm (and Cosmicar 12.5mm/Canon V10X15) I shot on the GH4:

All lenses are shot wide open in this video: