Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, thephoenix said:

thanks

i am looking for a wide angle lens that i could use with my fuji xt3 and a bmpcc4k, the goal is to have a lens that would be around 24mm crop factor included.

are there any choices in these length ?

found a mir 12mm but it was made for 16mm and it does not cover m43, also the mount is hardly adaptable.

Probably the best approach is to get a FF or APCS lens and then adapt it to both systems.

• 7artisans 12mm f2.8 seems to be APSC and in EF mount
  • Accura 12mm F8

The wide end is where lens choice becomes difficult on cropped sensors.  I ended up solving the wide end of my GH5 setup with the SLR Magic 8mm and the Voigtlander 17.5mm because I can always use the ETC mode to make the 8mm into a ~24mm equivalent FOV, but these are both dedicated M43 lenses because I didn't want to be buying fisheye lenses.

1 hour ago, thephoenix said:

thinking of the samyang 14mm 2.8 for canon or the irix 15mm 2.4 , as i have both adapter for canon to fuji and m43. it comes about 290€ here

just wondered if there was a good vintage lens in wide angle

I had a look through a few of the categories on the Pentax vintage lens site (linked in a previous post) and also did a search on eBay and nothing looked suitable.  Vintage lenses seem to be common in 28/35/40/50/80/135mm and everything else is rarer, especially at the wide end.

3 hours ago, kye said:

I had a look through a few of the categories on the Pentax vintage lens site (linked in a previous post) and also did a search on eBay and nothing looked suitable.  Vintage lenses seem to be common in 28/35/40/50/80/135mm and everything else is rarer, especially at the wide end.

Yeah, this is honestly one of my problems with Micro 4/3... it’s neither here nor there if you need/want to use vintage or fast lenses. 

Sigma makes a 20mm 1.8 (the older one) that isn’t too expensive and that will get you around 30mm with the Fuji crop or the Micro 4/3 with speedbooster. If you look for the Nikon version you’ll also have an aperture ring.

Tokina (also as Vivitar) made a 17mm f/3.5 that sells for between $100-$150. It is a great vintage lens with loads of character. That would get you the 24mm on the Fuji and around that speedboosted on Micro 4/3.

Canon FD has a 17mm f/4 that is really good as well. 

Hope that helps @thephoenix

21 hours ago, thephoenix said:

hi all

i can get some Pentacon Prakticar lenses, are they any good ?

also can get a mir 1b 37mm 2.8 is it worth it too ?

Pentacon lenses are decent but they have their quirks. The Soviets weren’t known for their quality control, so some of their lenses didn’t stand up to the test of time mostly in regards to the aperture. The Prakticar Mount is also a little more obscure so it may be more difficult finding adapters, but I’ve never owned a Prakticar lens, so I haven’t really searched for them. If interested in Pentacon lenses, I’d look for the M42 versions. 

The Mir 37mm is a classic lens, so if you can get it for the right price, you’d probably be happy with it. The Mir-24N which is ironically a 35mm lens, is supposed to be an excellent lens in the Nikon Mount as well. Zeiss Jena lenses, which aren’t “true” Zeiss lenses are fairly inexpensive with good optical quality... but with questionable build quality as well. But for the price of these lenses, you can easily find someone who can CLA them and make them better than new. 

Btw, the Tokina 17mm f/3.5 I am referring to is the RMC version, not the AT-X version. The AT-X version may be good as well but I’ve never used one, so I can’t say.

Here’s a good write up of the RMC version and his site is a great resource for vintage lenses for video use in general.

https://www.vintagelensesforvideo.com/tokina-rmc-17mm/

Also with the RMC Tokina lenses you have a couple extra choices in the wide range if you want to build a quasi set... the 24, 28 and 35mm f/2.8 are all decent lenses. I also briefly had an RMC Tokina 35mm f/2 that was amazing. Stupidly I sold it and haven’t found another one since. The 25-50mm zoom is pretty good. And they made a 24-40mm f/2.8 AT-X that I adore. And then there’s the 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 that is a cult classic and derived from the Angenieux design. 

Tokina lenses are a good foray into vintage lenses because they are available in so many adaptable mounts, the IQ is really good but with some character and are relatively inexpensive.

8 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah, this is honestly one of my problems with Micro 4/3... it’s neither here nor there if you need/want to use vintage or fast lenses. 

I'm learning that MFT is actually both here and there..  Getting fast wide lenses without paying a fortune seems to be really difficult, but on the other hand the longer lenses are cheap, fast and plentiful.

One thing I didn't realise is that longer lenses have a much shallower DoF than wider lenses, even at the same aperture.  This means that if I want to match longer lenses to shorter ones, then a 50mm f2 lens can easily match the same DoF and with a SB be an 70mm or without a 100mm.  

I also did a quick test and found that my 17.5mm f0.95 needed 1/50 but my 58mm f2.8 on a 0.7x SB only needed 1/200 for the same scene.  I'm not sure if this extra light gathering is normal of if I stuffed something up, so I'd be keen to hear from other people on this..   

It's also pretty easy to get seriously long focal lengths if you're into wildlife or sports photography.

The other major advantage of adapting is that you can pick whatever lens from whatever system, so in a sense all the battles between the manufacturers about pushing under-featured bodies to people already invested in your lens system is completely irrelevant.  Yeah, if you spend a couple of hundred on a SB then you're kind of invested, but if you're looking at adapting lenses at the longer end then you can just buy a $15 adapter for each lens and forget about which system they come from.

8 hours ago, mercer said:

The Soviets weren’t known for their quality control

I was looking at a page the other day talking about the Helios 58mm lenses, and was saying that the model number is in the format of Helios 44-X where X is the resolution of the lens.  I assume they made them and then graded them before marking them, but anyway, 7 is meant to be the highest resolution.  They then had a little table of some of the different models that they'd tested with things like light transmission and resolution.  The Helios 44-7 scored lower on the resolution test than the lower graded models.  I found that quite amusing :)

All this talk of vintage lenses is dangerous for me...  I already bought a Pentax Super Takumar 55mm F1.8 M42 that I didn't need but was really curious about!  Every time I look there are interesting lenses that tempt me ???

DOF is dependent on focal length and aperture and also subject distance.

A 85 1.2 lens can be used with infinite DOF at 1.2 if the subject is far enough away.

I have this link on my desktop     http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

As for cheap lenses, if you visit charity shops they often have old film cameras very cheap that might have a lens or two with them (often a 50 1.8 or so).

there is one question i am thinking of:

all these vintage lenses have old mounts, so they need adapters.

i have a set of canon ef lenses so i have an ef to fuji x adapter.

but i am also planning to get the bmpcc4k and already have a canon to m43 speedbooster.

i could either buy a m42 to fuji x adapter and then a m42 to m43 adapter.

if i want to avoid having multiple adapters would it work to have let's say adapters to canon and then put the adapter in the speedbooster ?

17 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

Seams like nobody is stacking adapters...

Also,  what is the best fd to ef adapter at the moment  ? 

Due to the different flange distances, you can’t go from FD to EF without an adapter with a correction lens inside the adapter. And those correction lenses are usually crap and will do more harm to your image than they’re worth.

There is a company called EDMIKA that makes replacement mounts to modify the lens but that can get a little pricey. FD lenses are very cinematic so it may be worth the modification if you already own some good samples. I lucked out and found a 50mm 1.4 that was modified to the Nikon Mount and paid less than most FD 50mm 1.4 lenses go for.

Yeah a Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 is a great lens and they go pretty cheap. Of course, that same lens on a M4/3 focal reducer will only give you a S35mm FOV of around 35mm...

But... if I may... it’s not my money or anything but you probably already have everything you need with the X-T3, and unless you plan on shooting Raw, I don’t know if you will gain that much by getting a P4K as well. And remember that Raw will take up a bunch of memory which isn’t cheap for the P4K.

In the end, you may be better off selling the M4/3 speedbooster and getting the right lens for your X-T3. What lenses do you already own for that system?

@thephoenix

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

If you want a 24mm full frame equivalent for the XT3 I'd get a focal reducer + 24mm lens, which there are many options. Vintage 24mm 2.8 are common. Probably under $250 for both.

except that there are no good focal reducer for fuji