Lenses

Andrew Reid

Yeah without the servo on it I doubt it weighs that much really. Now putting it on a Canon M might become a problem. Most ENG lenses even with the servo really aren't that heavy for what they are. But I never owned one of the ones for s35. I am sure they weigh more.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 12/31/2018 at 9:34 PM, HockeyFan12 said:

I've never used the 28mm Canon. I have a Nikon set so I kept it all Nikon just for consistency, maybe so they all focus the same direction.

The 35mm f1.4 and 50mm f1.2, both of which I've owned but neither of which I own now, are fantastic if you like that soft wide open but sharp stopped down character of the 24mm. The 50mm f1.2 is really really great. I don't care for that focal length, either, at least in the context of video. On the C700 FF or something, I think that might end up being my favorite lens, though. The difference in depth of field and light gathering is really major between f2 and f1.2 and it has great rendering and is perhaps the sharpest Nikon 50mm stopped down. I sort of wish I went 24 f2, 35 f1.4, 50 f1.2, 85 f1.4, 135 f2, but it doesn't really matter that much.

I think camera placement matters more than shot scale, or it should be thought of first, but I don't necessarily think that means you need to rely entirely on one lens. Maybe you need a binocular POV and then what do you do if you only have a 28mm? But that's interesting, still. If you can get away with it, it seems like a cool idea, just not right for every project. I think Polanski also had a wider lens just in case he needed to show more on screen, but I remember reading he relied almost entirely on one focal length for some of his films. I think camera placement and blocking are underrated skills, and he certainly put care into that.

I know Nikkors turn the “wrong way” but it seems more natural to me. I don’t know if it’s because I’ve owned so many lenses that turn that way, so I’m just used to it or if my brain wants infinity to turn toward the right. I have more trouble with my Canon lenses. Luckily I can adjust my muscle memory fairly quickly that it’s never an issue. I’ve also learned to yell “action” well after I hit record.

I actually like 50mm lenses. I’m kinda obsessed with them and definitely have tested more 50mm lenses in my life than other focal lengths. But with my love affair with the Nikkor 35mm 1.4, I’m unsure if a 50mm would add much more that I couldn’t get with a quick camera replacement than a lens change. 

As I shoot more and more, I am really enjoying this one prime lens concept. As @kye suggested, I am really getting a feel for composing for specific projects based on subject/thematic material. Plus it lets me find and use a few gems from different manufacturers. Of course, lens tests can become just as much of a hobby as filmmaking can be. In fact, one of my goals for 2019 is to produce more films and one of the ways I want to go about doing that is to make micro short films. So when I do get a new lens that I like, I will instead make a short film with that single lens, instead of just going out and doing a test. By doing this, I’m hoping my eye will become more trained while I also get more accomplished.

With all this Nikkor talk, I figured I’ll flip the script with another framegrab from the Canon 35mm f/2 shot from my film...

133D29C7-BAFC-4B92-BCB4-E9B30C793845.jpeg

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

But I never owned one of the ones for s35. I am sure they weigh more.

I would say so haha. I worked as 2nd AC on a short film this past summer. Here's a photo I took of the DP with the Rep Dragon and Angeniuex Optimo 12x zoom lens. We had to carry that shit up and down hill every day and it fucking sucked.

IMG_7552.thumb.JPG.c1603cc3571d34f6d507f8fa8f94f8a5.JPG

1 hour ago, Nikkor said:

I only sort of like the nikkor 50 1.2 at night. I wish I had the money to buy the noct 58 1.2

DSC_3210_00001.jpg

Wow - cool image.  

People over-use shallow DoF and then everyone gets critical of anyone who uses shallow DoF, but when used in an artistically relevant way it is a valuable technique, as this image shows.  Both the fog and the shallow DoF really contribute to the beauty and kind of suffocating feel this has.

Love my 50 1.2 ais, but I rarely use it. That's a great shot and as other have said, a great use for the lens, was it wide open?

I am waiting on 2 nikon lenses to show up:

50-300mm f/4.5 ED AIS

25-50mm f/4 AIS

A friend has the 50-300 ED and I love it every time I see his footage from it, I'm glad to add one to my stable

31 minutes ago, homestar_kevin said:

Good point on the light bokeh, that makes perfect sense

Those other shots look absolutely awesome!

Were these all on one camera body or what were you shooting on?

Thanks :) The nikkor Shot was taken with a d800 and the pentax Shots were taken with a phase one p45+

I recently used a Canon 15-85 for some random walkabout shots and found some strange focus things happening. Does anyone know what might be the cause/fix for it? To me it looks like a glass element is wonky or something like that - check out the plain of focus. The artists's feet are blurry, but her head is sharp. Then the people in the far back are more in focus than the people closer to the camera. It's also quickly goes from alright in the centre to terrible as you look away from centre. 

I've since put the lens on a number of different cameras, and they all show the same results... Is the lens destined for the bin?

LONDEN2018_Day_01_Broll.mov.00_11_23_02.Still001.thumb.jpg.b98f329403fbc480f14adb9c723eedd3.jpg

• Super Members
15 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I recently used a Canon 15-85 for some random walkabout shots and found some strange focus things happening. Does anyone know what might be the cause/fix for it? To me it looks like a glass element is wonky or something like that - check out the plain of focus. The artists's feet are blurry, but her head is sharp. Then the people in the far back are more in focus than the people closer to the camera. It's also quickly goes from alright in the centre to terrible as you look away from centre. 

I've since put the lens on a number of different cameras, and they all show the same results... Is the lens destined for the bin?

Doesn't sound too dissimilar to this report ?

https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/4088930

Hmm - interesting.

The thing is, and I should have mentioned it above - but I know it's not a 'normal' thing for this lens. I also tested a friend's version after seeing my results, and their one is sharp across the frame.

Towards the end of the week, I could share a screen grab of both lenses on the same camera with the same settings.

I think I'm just going to have to open my one up and see if I can straighten anything out...

44 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

LONDEN2018_Day_01_Broll.mov.00_11_23_02.Still001.thumb.jpg.b98f329403fbc480f14adb9c723eedd3.jpg

Definitely a tilted lens element that needs to be repaired. Like you said the focus plane is completely out of wack.

5 hours ago, thephoenix said:

i can get some Pentacon Prakticar lenses, are they any good ?

also can get a mir 1b 37mm 2.8 is it worth it too ?

I don't know those lenses, but I'd suggest searching YouTube and Vimeo for example video footage and reviews - there are many people who are buying vintage lenses these days so there's lots of information around.

Also, google will turn up lots of good information, and remember that photographers often post images from these old lenses and so these photos give a way to see how sharp the resolution of the lens is (4K video is a series of highly highly compressed 8MP images, but 24MP high quality still images are common).  

I've recently found sites like https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/ very useful as they aggregate reviews, give ratings, and also give price history.

thanks

i am looking for a wide angle lens that i could use with my fuji xt3 and a bmpcc4k, the goal is to have a lens that would be around 24mm crop factor included.

are there any choices in these length ?

found a mir 12mm but it was made for 16mm and it does not cover m43, also the mount is hardly adaptable.