Lenses

Andrew Reid

9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Thank you, I always highly value your experience, and this one does not disappoint ! Don't tempt me on the 300 PF, I'm fighting this for weeks :smiley: The 500 PF seems to be quite great too. Problem is they cost more than my car (at least for the 500 !). My girlfriend is a wildlife photographer, and she is tempted by the 300 PF as well ! I need to check how a VR lens works with the new FTZ and ibis on Z bodies. If it adds a substantial gain in stabilization, by combining the benefits of both, it will surely be very interesting.
Yes, the 70-200 + TC is appealing, as I've used it in the past with great results. But I was thinking of covering this focal range with a 85mm and a 135mm, or maybe a 70-200 f4 (love this for landscape in the mountains : light and useful). So, many choices and parameters to weigh up ! The good thing is that I can find most of the lenses cheap on mpb (I think they can deliver to France). Thanks again, I'll let you know what I find.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

There is no downside to the PF except for the price and if you want to use it on a non Nikon body.

I would definitely urge you to try the original on the Z body though to make sure it feels OK in terms of balance. Bear in mind that my experience of it is using it was on big lumps like the D3s and D4 where the weight wasn't an issue. On a much lighter mirrorless it might be a different story especially as the adapter will be adding to the heaviness in the nose.

With regard to using the PF for wildlife then the huge reduction in the weight in the camera pack vs the original will pay big dividends over the course of a day if you are trekking or whatever. 

What I would say though is that if the 300mm might not have enough reach then whilst it works very well with a TC but you are then at f5.6 (plus more money for the TC) so I might suggest she looks at the 200-500mm f5.6. Its the same aperture with a bit more reach and a lot more flexibility albeit at the expense of a bit of weight. It is a fantastic performer though and would be another compromise option worth considering, especially as it is significantly cheaper.

MPB are good guys and I've always had good service and prices. They are only in Brighton so with a following wind they should be able to deliver stuff over the channel to France with a decent catapult.

Which will probably be the only way to get goods off the island post Brexit !

Yeah, if you're looking for long reach on Nikon, don't overlook the 200-500mm

I really really want one. It's cheap and has awesome VR that works great with the Nikon Z's

Also, if you're putting the zoom set together, you really need the 80-200mm 2.8 to complete the set. It's amazing glass for cheap these days

On 12/6/2018 at 11:02 PM, BTM_Pix said:

There is no downside to the PF except for the price and if you want to use it on a non Nikon body.

I would definitely urge you to try the original on the Z body though to make sure it feels OK in terms of balance. Bear in mind that my experience of it is using it was on big lumps like the D3s and D4 where the weight wasn't an issue. On a much lighter mirrorless it might be a different story especially as the adapter will be adding to the heaviness in the nose.

With regard to using the PF for wildlife then the huge reduction in the weight in the camera pack vs the original will pay big dividends over the course of a day if you are trekking or whatever. 

What I would say though is that if the 300mm might not have enough reach then whilst it works very well with a TC but you are then at f5.6 (plus more money for the TC) so I might suggest she looks at the 200-500mm f5.6. Its the same aperture with a bit more reach and a lot more flexibility albeit at the expense of a bit of weight. It is a fantastic performer though and would be another compromise option worth considering, especially as it is significantly cheaper.

Guess what, after a long week-end of reflections, she has finally decided to go for the 300 PF (+ tc1.4), and get rid of her Tamron 150-600 ! The latter has become a real penalty as hiking is often involved when we operate. Now, if money was not an issue, the 500 PF would have been a target. We can find the 300 on the used market for around 1100€, which will be covered  by  selling both the Tamron and a Nikon D600 (already sold !). This little gem will better suit our needs !

On 12/7/2018 at 2:59 PM, homestar_kevin said:

Yeah, if you're looking for long reach on Nikon, don't overlook the 200-500mm

I really really want one. It's cheap and has awesome VR that works great with the Nikon Z's

Also, if you're putting the zoom set together, you really need the 80-200mm 2.8 to complete the set. It's amazing glass for cheap these days 

So, now, as we will share the tools, we have to choose one or two complementary lenses : Nikkor 200-500 f5.6, 70-200 f2.8 or even a third party 100-400. As for a 80-200 f2.8, I need to check if it is compatible with my FTZ adapter (edit while writing, as it appears to be : https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/camera-lenses/dslr-lenses/index.page)

On 12/6/2018 at 11:02 PM, BTM_Pix said:

MPB are good guys and I've always had good service and prices. They are only in Brighton so with a following wind they should be able to deliver stuff over the channel to France with a decent catapult.

Which will probably be the only way to get goods off the island post Brexit ! 

Oh, that is good to hear ; I really want to add a 17-35 f2.8 and a 28-70 f2.8 to my kit, and the prices are really more interesting at mpb than here in France (c*ap, the 28-70 "Bourne" is not part of the official compatibility list...but it is an AFS and should work 100%).

While the catapult launching is an appealing idea, I am not sure and, frankly, quite concerned about the potentially hazardous result ! I was born in Normandy, at the seaside, and, as far as I can remember, the dominant winds came from West, North-West. So, I fear my package from the UK could drift and finally land into Paris, right among the yellow riot ! I now live in the Alps, and it would be a long and perilous journey to reach my package during those dark days... Not counting the fact they block each roundabout, so it would really be looooong ? OK, I'm digressing....

On 12/11/2018 at 12:14 AM, Geoff_L said:

While the catapult launching is an appealing idea, I am not sure and, frankly, quite concerned about the potentially hazardous result ! I was born in Normandy, at the seaside, and, as far as I can remember, the dominant winds came from West, North-West. So, I fear my package from the UK could drift and finally land into Paris, right among the yellow riot ! I now live in the Alps, and it would be a long and perilous journey to reach my package during those dark days... Not counting the fact they block each roundabout, so it would really be looooong ? OK, I'm digressing....

you guys know its nearly 2019 right ? time to upgrade, get a drone i say ?

Has anyone ever bought an expensive lens and felt that it may be too good for them?

I found a Zeiss ZF 28mm f/2 “Hollywood” lens that was Duclos modified for a fair price. I’ve always been interested in the Zeiss Hollywood lens, so I ponied up the money to buy it. After receiving the lens, I can confirm it is exceptional. It is a work of mechanical and optical art but it seems like overkill for my humble hobby. 

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

I had that Tokina, such a nice lens... beautiful rendering.

I have my Canon 28mm 1.8 and it surprises me every time I use it and I also recently bought an old Nikkor NC 28mm f/2 that seems almost as nice as the Zeiss. It doesn’t have the cool Duclos cine mod but I usually shoot wide open anyway and never use a follow focus, so the benefits of the mod are kinda lost on me.

If anyone reads this and are interested in a basically new Zeiss 28mm f/2 ZF lens with the Duclos cine mod, I may be interested in selling it.

9 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

I had the same response after buying the sigma zooms. sold them for a Tokina 28-70 2.6 & Helios 58mm. Im much happier with the results of those lenses.

13 hours ago, mercer said:

Has anyone ever bought an expensive lens and felt that it may be too good for them?

I found a Zeiss ZF 28mm f/2 “Hollywood” lens that was Duclos modified for a fair price. I’ve always been interested in the Zeiss Hollywood lens, so I ponied up the money to buy it. After receiving the lens, I can confirm it is exceptional. It is a work of mechanical and optical art but it seems like overkill for my humble hobby. 

Eh, not anymore. Ain't nothing separating hobbyists with passion/money from professionals except career shit and the sheer gumption to say "I'm out here, I'm doing it, I'm worthy of using the best I can get."

I definitely know DPs who prefer to pull focus by hand (as opposed to a follow focus), so that may be closer to the real reason. Comfort matters too--just because something is "professional" doesn't mean it's the best fit for your particular style/workflow.

On 12/13/2018 at 2:10 AM, mercer said:

Almost everyone is completely outclassed by all their equipment, at least from an artistic point of view (those guys who film walls and then blog about it are safe) so it seems to me that either you didn't like the aesthetic, or you're just aware of something that other people aren't. I could be wrong of course and it might be something else I haven't come across..

I'm shooting home videos with a GH5, Voitlander 17.5mm f0.95 and Rode video mic pro plus. Talk to me about equipment that is too good for the operator, I might be at the epicentre of that scenario!

On 12/18/2018 at 11:48 AM, webrunner5 said:

There are a ton of cool stuff you can do with basic stuff if you know what you're doing.  A lot of them don't work so well for video though if things are moving.  You can get a lot of cool tips for this stuff by watching those "5 photography hacks for under $5" videos / articles.

3 hours ago, kye said:

There are a ton of cool stuff you can do with basic stuff if you know what you're doing.  A lot of them don't work so well for video though if things are moving.  You can get a lot of cool tips for this stuff by watching those "5 photography hacks for under $5" videos / articles.

this time of year $5 is about all thats left

As some of you may know, I've been on a lookout for a 75mm lens.

I almost bought Voigtalnder 75/1.8 Classic, when I thought: hey, if you already use anamorphic adapter that was not meant for cameras at all, why not try to adapt a projection lens, as well?

So I did some research and concluded that some modern German optics (Schneider Kreuznach / ISCO) would be the best choice for me.

Fortunately, there was a Schneider Kreuznach 75/2 Super listed on eBay. I pulled the trigger and bought it.

Here is the funny thing: normally these are attached to the backs of anamorphics. Mine copy was detached from Schneider Cinelux ES 2x

With help of my soon-to-be enginneer friend we adapted it to Sony E mount using M42 macro extension tube, M42→NEX Fotasy Helicoid, 3D printed part and a bit of glue.

I'm really happy with the results.

The image is detailed, bokeh is smooth and pleasing to look at. It needs some contrast and saturation boost in post, though.

Thanks to the helicoid, focusing is really smooth and precise.

(Bought it from RainbowImaging on eBay, really recommend them, since I got my order just in 2 working days, which is unbelievable, considering they had to ship it from NY to Poland)

It covers full frame without any additional crop.

With red ISCO Ultra Star I get some soft vignetting in the corners in photo mode (you can judge it by yourself looking at the images; no cropping involved), but I normally add vignetting in post, so it doesn't bother me.

The only downside is the fact that there is no aperture. It's fixed at f/2, so the depth of field is a little narrow.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them.

Cheers!

Kudos to Mike Lee (http://www.mike-lee.org/scripts/camera/main.htm) whose articles inspired me and resolved many of my doubts.

DSC03857 as Smart Object-1.jpg

DSC03858 as Smart Object-1.jpg

DSC03860 as Smart Object-1.jpg

DSC03845.JPG

DSC03841.JPG

DSC03842.JPG

DSC03840.JPG

Normally, this little feller looks like this:
image.thumb.png.5c303b05e54e4877b1e3951dea190e24.png