Lenses

Andrew Reid

9 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

Thanks. Been looking at vintage lenses but I'm not really sure how best to adapt them to MFT. I'm also looking for a good Contax Zeiss but Im not really sure which Contax to MFT will work. With the price of the old Contax Zeiss lenses, I'm afraid to take a risk because it might damage the lenses

The adapters like the one I linked to are just a tube with two lens mounts on each end.  Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think that will damage the lens?

I have heard about the rear element in a lens hitting the lens element in a Speedbooster, so maybe that's what people are referring to, but I really don't know.  

I'm sure someone else here will have the answers :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

My photography professor told me that there are only three lenses that you'll need: 85mm F/1.4, a 24-70 F/2.8, and a 70-200 F/2.8.

if you would imagine for a moment that photography is like food, then i would contend for the rest of your life you can only eat 3 things steak, potato and beans. while you might live a long life, it would be kinda boring having the same stuff everyday. much more interesting is the idea of a smorgasbord occasionally :) which is what a bunch of lenses gives you 

9 hours ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

My photography professor told me that there are only three lenses that you'll need: 85mm F/1.4, a 24-70 F/2.8, and a 70-200 F/2.8.

And HIS professor might have told him he only needed three lenses,

A 28mm, a 50mm and either an 85mm or a 135mm.       Zooms?     pfffft!

Being locked into Canon mount for a funded production shoot is such a headache. In terms of cine lenses, you're limited to CP3s, CN-Es, SLR Magic APOs, Schneider Xenons, and...what, Tokina Vistas? And in a smaller market, you'll only find CP3s and one other option to choose from. Ugh. Anyone here worked with the Xenons or SLR Magics?

8 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Being locked into Canon mount for a funded production shoot is such a headache. In terms of cine lenses, you're limited to CP3s, CN-Es, SLR Magic APOs, Schneider Xenons, and...what, Tokina Vistas? And in a smaller market, you'll only find CP3s and one other option to choose from. Ugh. Anyone here worked with the Xenons or SLR Magics?

No personal experience, but I've loved some of the things shot with the SLR Magic APO's. They are not harsh lenses. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I'd be sceptical, the bridge in the sample shot goes exactly through the middle of the frame, so it won't show many forms of distortion.  7artisans does have a range of lenses and a track record though, so who knows.

I've been using the SLR Magic 8mm F4 on my GH5 and I'm really enjoying the image, but it's also designed as a drone lens and so the ergonomics aren't that great though! 

43 minutes ago, homestar_kevin said:

I've been using the SLR Magic 8mm on my gx85/g7 and BMPCC and agree completely.

Great image, great small little lens. Not the best to work with, but the for the price and image, it's definitely awesome

I haven't seen it discussed much for video (maybe it was and I missed it) but lots of people have looked at it for photos.  It was the widest non-fisheye lens that I could find for a reasonable price.   It looks hilarious on the GH5 because it's so small and thin!

My strategy has been to get a 17.5mm lens for generic people / environment shots, and the 8mm for those wider "wow" scenery shots where you want the grand look of a wide angle, and it's been great for that.  Today was my third day in India and it hasn't come off the camera yet as everything here seems to lend itself to that "wow" aesthetic - look at that building - look at how many people there are - look at this amazing chaos...  :)

Basic grade and crop....

India-1_1_29.1.thumb.jpg.f937b566efa6cb577d01b564d8868eb7.jpg

India-2_1_33.1.thumb.jpg.8fc3674595d7ec5c090a60e03a2985a5.jpg

I'm still making friends with the GH5 so these might not be sharp, but they certainly suit the geometric nature of the architecture :)