Lenses

Andrew Reid

Formatt Hitech Black Supermist 1/2 filter. Standard profile with no adjustments.

Love the look and what it does to highlights, but 1/2 is to strong for my taste.  Deciding on the 1/8 or 1/4th to get for my Nikon set.
Much prefer it to the Promist, which raises the blacks up to much for my taste.

Voigtlander 40mm f2

Light_filter_1.25.1.jpg

Light_nofilter_1.26.1.jpg

Voigtlander 90mm 3.5

Self_filter_1.23.1.jpg

Selfnofilter_1.24.1.jpg

medium_filter_1.21.1.jpg

medium_nofilter_1.22.1.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Has anyone actually ever used a SLR Magic MicroPrime for E-mount?

Think I got the memo these were a thing a few months ago, but kinda forgot about it. Haven't really seen anybody talking or making videos about 'em. They seem rather interesting. With most priced at 799 USD (with a huge mark-up on the European market apparently), they make an interesting set to compete with the likes of Veydra, XEEN/Samyang and Sigma CINE.

14 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Formatt Hitech Black Supermist 1/2 filter. Standard profile with no adjustments.

Love the look and what it does to highlights, but 1/2 is to strong for my taste.  Deciding on the 1/8 or 1/4th to get for my Nikon set.
Much prefer it to the Promist, which raises the blacks up to much for my taste.

Voigtlander 40mm f2

Light_filter_1.25.1.jpg

Light_nofilter_1.26.1.jpg

Voigtlander 90mm 3.5

Self_filter_1.23.1.jpg

Selfnofilter_1.24.1.jpg

medium_filter_1.21.1.jpg

medium_nofilter_1.22.1.jpg

Brilliant... Begin slow clap!

• Super Members
41 minutes ago, matthere said:

Does anybody have experience of the Panasonic 12-32mm f3.5-5.6 lens on BMPCC considering this for the P4K but without a manual focus ring is it going to be a pain to use with only touch focus? 

Thanks.

Yes, I do.

The good news is that it isn't that bad on the BMPCC really, although lacking a bit of speed and flexibility.

You do the push focus to lock it and in the main it does catch it reasonably quickly and you are helped here by it being a fairly narrow aperture lens even at its widest so its reasonably forgiving. 

The issue of course is that if you then want to switch focus mid take as it gets a bit messy but, as I say, for what it is which is a very compact and cheap wide angle that is probably going to see most of its use with deep depth of field on a gimbal or for fixed wide shots then that might not be a problem depending on your application.

The better news is that if you do want to use it on a BMPCC then if you connect a LANC controller that has focus control then you are actually able to manually focus it using that method.

When it comes to using it on the Pocket 4K, its a bit good news/bad news really.

The good news is that with the touch to focus option then it will be a lot more usable for focus change on the fly than it is on the original Pocket.

The bad news is that the Pocket 4K has dispensed with the LANC port so the manual focus option isn't available.

What it does have though is Bluetooth LE and the focus far/near is part of the spec in the developer documents for what can be controlled so it does open up that opportunity again for a 3rd party to create that via an app or a hardware controller.

I know someone who is definitely working on the latter......

I really like the look of the Voigtländer Nokton f/0.95 lenses for MFT.  I guess it's a kinda modern-but-veering-towards-vintage look.  I'm considering getting a set, but now I'm backing off a little because I'll almost certainly be looking for a 35mm cinema camera (or perhaps a mirrorless FF) in the future and want to keep my options open a bit.

Are there any modern prime lenses (I don't want to get vintage as my main set) that similarly have 'character'?

I've started looking at Zeiss primes - though I'm finding the lineup a bit confusing.  The ones I'm drawn to are the 'classic' range, which seems to have been recently retired, but is still available here and there.  Any thoughts?  Alternatives? 

Hint, Don't buy the PL lenses that are made for the Sony PMW F3, they are great for it, but don't work out well for other camera brands. Shame, they are reasonably cheap. But no real wide one, I think only 3 focal lengths were made for the kit. Ask @IronFilm about them, he knows the F3 as well as anyone.                        

I don't know how quite to refer to the lenses I'm thinking of.  They are stills lenses (also listed under videography!).

On Zeiss's website they are listed as 'classic'.  Elsewhere I read that some of them have been discontinued.

https://www.zeiss.co.uk/camera-lenses/photography/products/classic-lenses/distagon-225.html

Seem like a value way to get into quality glass.  Maybe I will one day, but I currently don't really need 'cine' features.

They are cheaper (and a lot nicer looking!)  than the Milvus range that seems to be their replacement.  They are also, of course, a lot more affordable than the Zeiss cine ranges.

But are they decent?  Are they still being made / supported? And how to find them? (searches are corrupted with both vintage Zeiss and the newer ranges).  

This page is pretty much all the newer stuff available. But the Classic stuff is mostly for Photography, so not ideal for video. MF, click aperture, and short focus throw. And maybe even a bit Too sharp. Even the old Contax Zeiss stuff converted is a bit too sharp for my liking. But you can tame them down with filters. Hard to make crappy lenses better with filters LoL.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/photography/Ntt/zeiss+classic+lens/Ntt/0/

Thanks.  Yes, once again I find myself wishing B&H had a UK branch.  I get stuff sent over from them, but I reckon I'd get smashed for duty on those lenses.

Manual focus is okay by me.  Honestly, clickable aperture hasn't been a thing for me yet (rare for me to have to radically alter exposure mid-shot, and when I do it's usually via vari-ND).  Focus throw however is important, but it doesn't seem too too bad on these - they seem to range from around 125° to a pretty healthy 225°.

Plus they seem to be reviewed as not overly sharp, in fact some complaints from stills shooters in that regard.  I'm still tempted.

28 minutes ago, matthere said:

@Mmmbeats if you've been looking at the Zeiss range you have probably come across the Zeiss survival guide.. if not, it's quite an interesting read ? looking at the zeiss contax lenses myself recently, liking the look they give.. those classics look really nice too.

I did see that, but thanks for the nudge.  I'm still a little confused as to whether the classics are still in production, or whether it's a case of snap up what's left.