Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

We really should do EOSHD meetups...maybe a Midwest thing in Chicago.

And to keep things slightly on topic, this is a BTS shot from a short I gaffed. Leica Summicron-R 50mm @2.8, A7III. Out of camera JPEG with minor tweaks on my phone. Such a lovely contrast on this lens, even at wide aperture.

The look still has some Sony hangups. Warm tones skew a little green on default settings; I'm still struggling with how to correct that in picture profiles.

DSC01808~3.JPG

I simply drag a little orange into the mids and blue into the highlights. Skin tones look fine to me. Copy & paste attributes, all done.

On 9/10/2018 at 9:58 PM, TheRenaissanceMan said:

We really should do EOSHD meetups...maybe a Midwest thing in Chicago.

And to keep things slightly on topic, this is a BTS shot from a short I gaffed. Leica Summicron-R 50mm @2.8, A7III. Out of camera JPEG with minor tweaks on my phone. Such a lovely contrast on this lens, even at wide aperture.

The look still has some Sony hangups. Warm tones skew a little green on default settings; I'm still struggling with how to correct that in picture profiles.

DSC01808~3.JPG

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

Is it possible to shoot A7III with Veydra lenses with some adapter?

Upper shot looks to me way richer/crisper/milder in texture and achieving of remarkable relief/3d impression, as also differentiating different color spectrum (scarf is totally unpolluted, without any cast, and contrast to skin is so good that almost look as montage from two different shots/sources)...  almost as portrait from some nicest portraiture works where smoothness of tonal transitions of skin is balanced and contrasted in deeper impression  with detailness of any supporting texture of clothes, garnish, hair etc. As I see it, in lower example everything looks - although maybe correct for video purpose - more compress in common level, all colors tends to get one (although subtle) global spread cast (here yellowish/green which is most noticeable in hair) and stunning photo/portraiture effect looks to me lost.

So I think maybe Veydra lens has to be praised for that effect because of stronger discerning/rendering capability?  - of course, if I'm not completely wrong, which isn't so rare...

blob.thumb.png.191d72cd613fc798b852c4465ccd56da.png

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

I simply drag a little orange into the mids and blue into the highlights. Skin tones look fine to me. Copy & paste attributes, all done.

Again, trying to correct in picture profiles. I often hand off footage, not grade myself, as I'm a professional and not a hobbyist. I can correct the warms alright in Resolve, but I wish the A7 just handled them right out of the box like my F3.

I'm seeing it less in the skin tones here, since they're in cool light, than in the screen on frame right and the wood shelves behind them. Don't look right to me.

59 minutes ago, anonim said:

You made it seem as though you were quoting me whereas those are all your own words. 

Funny you should mention the Veydras, because one of our very own esteemed forum members, under the guise of a dozen aliases, has gone to the trouble to dislike every one of those videos on my YT channel around ten times, as well as a bunch of other tests I’ve done with other lenses. The very same person who downvoted me over 85 times because he was angry over my spat with JB. I happen to love the look of the Veydras on the GH5.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

You made it seem as though you were quoting me whereas those are all your own words. 

Sadly, I don't quite understand this sentence, it has to be my English... I mean, of course those are all my own words, why to suppose I'm quoting you? I'm just little bit curious about Sony + Veydra combination if it is possible...

Because, looking carefully thread about A7III I've noticed some glorious photo-shots, but all video examples - except, most closely, one of yours made with Distagon lens - didn't repeat - to my eyes at least - that quality... that, contrary, I find mostly preserved, say, in your qouted shot with Veydra...

(Actually, one of the aspect that greatly attracts me with modern cameras is possibility to reproduce, to the great extent, color subtlеty of old-master-works... if that quality is, moreover, achieved in moving pictures, it makes, first, great aesthetic pleasure to me, and second, stimulative thinking foundation in comparing past and future... say, original Rembrandt with modern shooting-montage achievement - which you touch with shot of young man with scarf...

blob.png.260f0f7132eb90e9b862ea4c44b65a52.png

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

because one of our very own esteemed forum members, under the guise of a dozen aliases

Somebody has dozen aliases in EOSHD? It is really marvelous case, one of the great pluses for I'm finding so much extra funny here  :)

Or somebody makes dozen aliases to up number of downvoting :) It is even better!