Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Not too impressed with the Yashica ML 50mm f/2. The Nikon looks much better.

I like the Yashica. I effed up the first one by pulling too much saturation out of it, but the second one I like. But yeah, I agree that I think the Nikon overall is a better lens. For 25 bucks, they’re both keepers. 

@mercerYes the Yashica ML lenses are very good, but am assuming the posts you made were screen grabs so don't really show off how good they really are - the best 50mm is either the F1.7 or F1.4 & if memory serves me right the F1.7 edged it. Redstan put me onto these, along with a host of other vintage lenses that people reject out of hand.

Here's a good list of all the ML lenses & if you scroll down, you can click on a selection of lenses to see some examples/pictures:

https://cargocollective.com/yashica/About-Yashica-ML-Prime-Lenses

But, the Nikon/Nikkor AI-S lenses really are great, especially for filming & are great paired with anamorphics. Here's the best resources I was recommended - the first link is a resource of Nikon Lens evaluations (they are spot on & have never let me down) & the second is just a list of every vintage Nikon lens made (which has serial numbers/years etc. so you can tell what you are buying):

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#rating

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#35

Think i've got some Nikon 24mm f2.8 paired with an Iscorama 54 shot on the BMPCC somewhere, think it's the first thing I ever shot on the BMPCC - i'll dig it out. Can't find anything i've shot with the Yashica's, but you can't keep everything - but they were a good cheap compromise to the expensive Zeiss.

So this is the first time I used the BMPCC, no idea I needed an IR Cut etc. Shot ProRes HQ, a couple of tripod shots & the rest is handheld as is (no rig, just holding the camera/lenses).

Nikon 24mm f2.8 & Iscorama54 (with diopters) & no speedbooster -  handheld focus was done by moving in & out whilst looking at the "so-called" crap screen on the BMPCC. They moved the venue at the last moment from a brightly lit room to this dark hole of a place, so the only light sources were the lamp you see, one above & the window (got more light from the window!) - so not ideal!

Really liked the 24mm paired with the Iscorama 54 - shame the venue was so shit!

@Bioskop.Inc nice work. I love the OG Pocket. And yes I used to own the Nikkor 24mm and it was a beautiful lens. But my favorite Nikkor has to be the 35mm 1.4. It’s so ugly wide open but with such great character... Here’s a screengrab from the first day of shooting my film...

B62A7604-E308-401A-9FB8-75B2F9887393.jpeg

I did a quick B&W transform in the Lightroom App last week to see how I liked it. That shot had one dark street lamp above the actor’s head, I swear it almost sees in the dark. Here’s another B&W screengrab from that lens...

9392C79F-8FBF-4D6A-863E-13FB745226B4.jpeg

And a colored one from my first day of shooting as well...

94327811-5E79-4B22-B487-F2EF04965C08.jpeg

Unfortunately I had to sell it... I had a bad year. 

About once a year I go through my lenses and test a few before I decide which ones are worth keeping and which ones need to go. But I don’t have any “sets” of lenses anymore either... of course I rarely change lenses so a set to me is 2 or 3 lenses in my favorite focal lengths.

Right now I think I’m going to buy another Nikkor 35mm 1.4 and maybe the 85mm 1.4. But I’m really trying to decide if I want to put together a set of Zeiss ZF lenses and have them Leitaxed to EF. I’ve been into B&W a lot lately and supposedly the 35mm f/2 Distagon has insane micro contrast, so I may pick that up, see how I get along with it and decide from there.

Thanks for the links. I rely on the photosynthesis site for Nikkor serial numbers but I haven’t checked out the others. I know some of the history behind ML lenses and they do seem to be a decent, budget alternative to Contax Zeiss. The 50mm f/2 I bought (yes those samples were screengrabs) seems to be an underdog in the ML collection that people keep referencing because they didn’t expect it to be so good, but I have heard that the 1.4 and 1.7 have a more direct lineage to their Zeiss cousins... so I am on the lookout for a 1.4, but for 25 bucks brand new... the f/2 will do for now.

@Bioskop.Inc

• Super Members

A few from the Minolta MD 35-70mm f3.5 zoom adapted to M and then T/L mount.

I was going to buy this lens in its Leica R guise but it was a bit too a rough condition even for me so got this one instead for 15% of the price and 200% of the condition.

I'm going to A/B it against the Contax Zeiss 35-70mm that was another one of my robbery spree finds in Japan.

960992141_Minolta35-70-2.thumb.jpg.4727ea2910ac8d00238890d8f4e3df59.jpg

@BTM_Pix nice shots... out of likes for the day though. I had that lens and its Leica version. Such a wicked little zoom. My Leica version had a stuck zoom ring though so I never had a chance to mess around with it... supposedly it has a different look than the Minolta version (I think we discussed this before) and some reports say it has that Leica character. It’s probably good I got a dud... you guys would have been stuck looking at my screengrabs from Summicrons... lol. 

I’m really enjoying your Leica shots, but good thing I’m not a wealthier man. 

• Super Members
Just now, mercer said:

@BTM_Pix nice shots... out of likes for the day though. I had that lens and its Leica version. Such a wicked little zoom. My Leica version had a stuck zoom ring though so I never had a chance to mess around with it... supposedly it has a different look than the Minolta version (I think we discussed this before) and some reports say it has that Leica character. It’s probably good I got a dud... you guys would have been stuck looking at my screengrabs from Summicrons... lol. 

I’m really enjoying your Leica shots, but good thing I’m not a wealthier man. 

Thanks

Yes, I remember that. I think it might have been the other way round though where I'd bought/stolen the Leica R version of the Minolta 75-200 and was trying to justify the additional cost ;)

Its ironic really as in general I'd have said the Leica versions (as in the one I'd bought) would have been in better condition as they'd have had more cosseted lives than the Minolta ones but sounds like you got the exception to the rule !

The plummeting price of the original T (which is the only Leica body I have) is changing the game for the entry cost of ownership for Leica.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-digital-rangefinder-cameras/used-leica-cameras/leica-t/sku-729835/

Once you have the L/T to M and/or R adapters (3rd party ones are cheap) then you've got access to a lot of reasonably priced used lenses (and new ones in the case of the 7Artisans) and its obviously all very compact stuff as well.

The only drawback to the T for me was the prospect of having to pay the same price for the EVF as I did the camera but I eventually hung out to find a (still expensive) used one.

If you go for the X range then you can use the much cheaper Olympus EVF but the T series uses the new one.

The drawback of course with the original T is the video which obviously isn't all that.

It isn't even really any of that.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Unfortunately I had to sell it... I had a bad year. 

About once a year I go through my lenses and test a few before I decide which ones are worth keeping and which ones need to go. But I don’t have any “sets” of lenses anymore either... of course I rarely change lenses so a set to me is 2 or 3 lenses in my favorite focal lengths.

Right now I think I’m going to buy another Nikkor 35mm 1.4 and maybe the 85mm 1.4. But I’m really trying to decide if I want to put together a set of Zeiss ZF lenses and have them Leitaxed to EF. I’ve been into B&W a lot lately and supposedly the 35mm f/2 Distagon has insane micro contrast, so I may pick that up, see how I get along with it and decide from there.

Thanks for the links. I rely on the photosynthesis site for Nikkor serial numbers but I haven’t checked out the others. I know some of the history behind ML lenses and they do seem to be a decent, budget alternative to Contax Zeiss. The 50mm f/2 I bought (yes those samples were screengrabs) seems to be an underdog in the ML collection that people keep referencing because they didn’t expect it to be so good, but I have heard that the 1.4 and 1.7 have a more direct lineage to their Zeiss cousins... so I am on the lookout for a 1.4, but for 25 bucks brand new... the f/2 will do for now.

@Bioskop.Inc

The Zeiss ZF's are nice, you can even get them de-clicked for filming. I had the 50mm f1.4, no where near super sharp wide open but took a mean photo & was pretty good for filming. Wasn't there a topic by Rich who mentioned that the Rollei Zeiss lenses were a really good cheap alternative to the Contax versions - worth having a dig around on the forum search.

I had a full set of Contax Zeiss at one point, but needed the money - made quite a bit because of having the full set in mint condition. Can't really go wrong with the Nikon AI-S lenses, just so good for filming. The only full set i've got now is of Russain lenses & i've had them for quite a while - just can't beat their mojo for filming. Well, apart from the Tokina ATX Pro 28-70mm f2.6/2.8, but we're talking an Angenieux recipe lens! Just a shame it isn't parfocal...

2 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

The Zeiss ZF's are nice, you can even get them de-clicked for filming. I had the 50mm f1.4, no where near super sharp wide open but took a mean photo & was pretty good for filming. Wasn't there a topic by Rich who mentioned that the Rollei Zeiss lenses were a really good cheap alternative to the Contax versions - worth having a dig around on the forum search.

I had a full set of Contax Zeiss at one point, but needed the money - made quite a bit because of having the full set in mint condition. Can't really go wrong with the Nikon AI-S lenses, just so good for filming. The only full set i've got now is of Russain lenses & i've had them for quite a while - just can't beat their mojo for filming. Well, apart from the Tokina ATX Pro 28-70mm f2.6/2.8, but we're talking an Angenieux recipe lens! Just a shame it isn't parfocal...

If this information may be useful for someone: I had 5-lenses set of Rollei Zeiss as also Contax-Zeiss - Rollei version could be very easy "Leitaxed" with cheap chinesse 3-screw replacing mount... such are provided just for Rollei, not for Contax version of mount.

21 minutes ago, anonim said:

If this information may be useful for someone: I had 5-lenses set of Rollei Zeiss as also Contax-Zeiss - Rollei version could be very easy "Leitaxed" with cheap chinesse 3-screw replacing mount... such are provided just for Rollei, not for Contax version of mount.

How did you like the Rollei versions.  

22 minutes ago, mercer said:

How did you like the Rollei versions.  

Visually, in general I like them more than Contax  - they are full metal and always smaller, so very pretty and... sexy as full set, resembling me to SLR Magic line :)

Construction wise - as I bring some of them to refreshing treatment to master - they are on the same level as Contax, but my impression that they are little bit or two-three more prone to time-passing effect... so try always to find nice condition examples, lubrication etc. wise. Also, zooming operation is stiffer - at least with examples I had. 

Coating of Contax is always little bit better - so Rolleis are more prone to flaring... but there is, of course, some magic.

"Sharpness" and all connecting with image wise, there's no difference between Contax and Rollei, besides, probably, as usual sample variation.

BUT... pay attention that signature should always be Rollei Zeiss line... Although Japanese version of just Rollei engraved could be also equally nice, German origin is more proven to quality.

I especially liked 35mm 2.8 Rollei Zeiss.

Sometimes they are on the market even more pricey  than Contax... for example 85mm 1.4 is very very rare, as even more 35mm 1.4

f2.8 line  is wonderful as set for gimbal - little and powerful 25mm (strange painting instrument!), 35mm (astonishing smooth rendering from 2.8), 50mm (also sharp from 2.8), 85mm (same as Contax secret 85mm 2.8 favorite). 

Once upon a time there was an Ikarex 50mm 1.4 concave version - it could be easy the most astonishing rendering lens that I was lucky to try with proper adapter.... extremely rare, but my country is inside old East German optic circle, so these lenses today mostly come from Eastern Europe.

Just be careful not to messed them with Rolleinar lenses - these are not at the same league... so just Rolleiflex line...

5 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Yup, ai-s Nikkors are great lenses and good investments if you buy the faster lenses. And if you’re patient you can usually find them for deals on eBay. I paid less than $300 for my mint 35mm 1.4 and sold it a year later for $400.

I’m mostly interested in the Zeiss ZFs right now because I just read an article that they’re photo versions of CP.2s. So with Simmod  giving competitive pricing on their mods, you can easily get some cinema quality lenses with the newer T coating for less than a 1/4 the price after the mod. And I don’t use a follow focus, so I would really do the mount change and get them declicked.

But I’m also curious about the Sigma 50mm 1.4. The art version gets better reviews but not that much better than the older EX DG model. With my 5D, I’m looking for a sharp neutral 50 that I can get Push AF for Quick set ups.

15 hours ago, mercer said:

Yup, ai-s Nikkors are great lenses and good investments if you buy the faster lenses. And if you’re patient you can usually find them for deals on eBay. I paid less than $300 for my mint 35mm 1.4 and sold it a year later for $400.

I’m mostly interested in the Zeiss ZFs right now because I just read an article that they’re photo versions of CP.2s. So with Simmod  giving competitive pricing on their mods, you can easily get some cinema quality lenses with the newer T coating for less than a 1/4 the price after the mod. And I don’t use a follow focus, so I would really do the mount change and get them declicked.

But I’m also curious about the Sigma 50mm 1.4. The art version gets better reviews but not that much better than the older EX DG model. With my 5D, I’m looking for a sharp neutral 50 that I can get Push AF for Quick set ups.

Yep, I read that too a few years ago that the CP.2s were rehoused ZFs - the 50mm f1.4 was the first lens I got for the new 60D I bought years ago. I think the Sigma (Art) will probably be sharper wide open, but IMHO it lacks the creamy quality of the Zeiss ZFs - if you like the Zeiss look, then the ZFs are a good modern take & I thought they were great for filming (and you can always sharpen in post).

Also, got to remember that Zeiss have made a ton of great lenses over the years & you don't have to go for the Contax versions. I bought some of the Zeiss Jena MF lenses ages ago & they were really nice & you shouldn't get put off by seemingly underwhelming F stop numbers on MF lenses, as they are brighter than they first appear. This was the article that helped identify which ones to buy: 

https://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/vintage-zeiss-glass-on-modern-cameras/

I'm thinking of going back to MF lenses & in particular the Mamiya Sekor 645 lenses - seen some things filmed on them & they look great. Too many lenses & not enough money to try them all or keep them.

Some manufacturers have been using dust, water and grease repellant fluorine coating on their lenses, which I thought would prolong the life of the lens - less cleaning, less chance of scratching, right? Not according to Roger Cicala:

According to Canon fluorine coating makes it much easier to clean the front and rear elements, so dirt and oil can be easily wiped away. With at least some of the lenses Canon has released with this coating, our opinion is the coating is very fragile. We started putting filters on all of our lenses a year after Canon started putting fluorine coating on their front elements; the incidence of lenses needing front element replacements for coating scratches and peeling skyrocketed. Canon says it’s not so, so perhaps it’s just us.

3 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Yep, I read that too a few years ago that the CP.2s were rehoused ZFs - the 50mm f1.4 was the first lens I got for the new 60D I bought years ago. I think the Sigma (Art) will probably be sharper wide open, but IMHO it lacks the creamy quality of the Zeiss ZFs - if you like the Zeiss look, then the ZFs are a good modern take & I thought they were great for filming (and you can always sharpen in post).

Also, got to remember that Zeiss have made a ton of great lenses over the years & you don't have to go for the Contax versions. I bought some of the Zeiss Jena MF lenses ages ago & they were really nice & you shouldn't get put off by seemingly underwhelming F stop numbers on MF lenses, as they are brighter than they first appear. This was the article that helped identify which ones to buy: 

https://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/vintage-zeiss-glass-on-modern-cameras/

I'm thinking of going back to MF lenses & in particular the Mamiya Sekor 645 lenses - seen some things filmed on them & they look great. Too many lenses & not enough money to try them all or keep them.

I looked up the CP.2 lenses on eBay last night and was surprised to see the prices of some of them but when you hear of their lineage, it doesn’t really make sense unless you’re working on a proper production with a proper focus puller and using matte boxes. Since I will have none of those luxuries, the ZFs make more financial sense. I’ll start off with the Distagon 35mm and see if I like it and then add a 50mm and 85mm if I like them.

I’ve never owned any MF lenses but I have had a few of the Jena 135 lenses. Obviously, the Flek 35mm is a beaut of a lens but the mechanics of those East German lenses leave a little to be desired. I have 2 or 3 Tessars and none of the apertures work. But I shoot them wide open anyway so it doesn’t much matter. I briefly had the Pancolar a few years back and that was pretty damn nice.

I also have a couple of the generic Taks (55mm f/2 and 35mm f/3.5) and I may dig them out to see how they fare with 5D3 Raw B&W... I assume the 35mm will be weirdly special in B&W...

I have 3 or 4, brand new, Fotodiox Pro M42 adapters, so I wouldn’t mind putting together a cheap M42 set. I know the Helios and Jupiter lenses should be no brainers but I’ve never owned any and think they’re the obvious choice, so I am looking for something weirder... maybe Schneider, Meyer or Isco... ever used any of them? I’d also like to get the Chinon 55mm 1.7... I think that lens has a little of a cult following.

When I switched from Canon EOS-M to 4K, the NX500 and then the G7, I noticed that individual, vintage lenses didn’t show as much of a difference in 4K but now that I’m back with Canon, I can really see the characteristics of the lenses more... I assume FF helps with that. It’s fun pulling out some of these old lenses and taking them for a spin again.