Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, gethin said:

Sigma 35mm art. My favourite lens. Love the rendering and warmth. Any suggestions for full frame e-mount equivalent?

Also feel 16-35 or similar.  Are there any 3rd party.lenses. Sony lenses are.sooooo expensive

The Sony 16-35 f/2.8 is wonderful too. You could always use Sigma’s lens conversion service for your 35mm f/1.4 as well.

Since my A7s is dead and it may be a while before I can get it fixed, I have just been given my Dad's old Olympus 4/3 E30 and some really nice lenses.

12-60 2.8-4 and 50-200 2.8-3.5 as well as a OM 180 2.8 and a 50 3.5 macro.

I will use them for photos on the E-30 (hopefully I can get used to a DSLR again) but was wondering what would be the best camera to adapt these two lovely zooms on?     

What adapter gives the best performance (if there is more than one)?    Any cheaper m43 cameras that will play nice with them? 

The ONLY modern camera that can use them in m4/3 is the Olympus EM1, EM1 mk II. And they work nearly as good as on the 4/3 cameras. They have both Contrast and Phase Detect sensors in them. The video specs are pretty limited, shooting only 30 fps at Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution in the original one. EM1 mk II not so bad but might as well buy a GH5 for what they cost.

Thanks,

This camera (E30) has no video and it is almost the opposite of what I use -I prefer primes and shoot in low light a lot and these are pro grade weather sealed zooms and the E30 has to have just about the worst viewfinder to date (it is almost always unusable indoors at night and often during the day) but there is still (ten years on) something very nice about the camera and the lenses are enough for me to want to buy another m43 camera just to use them so maybe a cheap E-M1 is in my future.

The specs of the camera in themselves - dual cards (different types) tilty/flippy screen (very small though) are still right up there.

If only it could use my 17mm TS-E AT 17mm and shoot at least a bit better in low light I might even leave it at this for stills along with an E-M1.

The Oly EM1 is really a heck of a good camera in all respects. It is one of the few cameras that I regret ever selling. It just seems to fit well in your hand and it is responsive as all get out. The colors OOC are punchy, and the IBIS in it for the time is amazing. Yeah it could be better for video but for most stuff it gets the job done. I had the battery grip on mine. Little small for big hands without it.

Two weak areas though. The strap lugs can break and the control wheel the back can go  dead. Although some people just twist the wheel like heck and it comes back to life. But it is rare so don't Not buy one because of that. Might have been replaced under warranty years ago.

1 hour ago, Exporter said:

Anyone have experience with the older Tokina 28-70 2.8 at-x pro lenses on sony a7 series cameras? Im thinking about getting one for my a7iii and using it manual focus for short films. Looking at a minolta mount version on ebay for close to $200. Thanks.

It's a great lens, low contrast and slightly soft so it's very flattering. Used it a bit on my A7 series when I had it but have been leaning towards higher contrast lenses and away from the "classic" look so I sold it. Well worth $200.

Are the Sigma Art primes a lot sharper than their zooms? I know traditionally primes are sharper but everyone raves about how sharp the 18-35mm is, so I wasn’t sure. It is pretty sharp though. I was watching a video on YouTube with the 18-35mm on the 80D and it really made the 80D pop.

On 8/20/2018 at 1:15 AM, Exporter said:

Anyone have experience with the older Tokina 28-70 2.8 at-x pro lenses on sony a7 series cameras? Im thinking about getting one for my a7iii and using it manual focus for short films. Looking at a minolta mount version on ebay for close to $200. Thanks.

I'm using Tamron 28-75/2.8 SP AF from early 2000s, Canon EF mount. Got it for 190$. Paired with MC-11

Auto focus works and is definitely very usable, both at wide and long end. Even Face Detection and Eye-AF do work, but they aren't as snappy as with native lenses. 

The lens is very sharp, even wide open. Has some flare issues, but to me it's a feature. ( :

Interesting tidbit from Roger Cicala’s review of Sony’s 24-105mm f/4 back in February:

The simple fact is that Sony, more than any other company, is using electronic correction to a degree that we haven’t seen before. Some seem worked up about in-camera distortion and vignetting correction for reasons I don’t really understand. The bottom line is it allows the lenses to be smaller and makes it easier to manufacture the optics, which are good things.

• Super Members
On 8/20/2018 at 3:10 AM, mercer said:

Are the Sigma Art primes a lot sharper than their zooms? I know traditionally primes are sharper but everyone raves about how sharp the 18-35mm is, so I wasn’t sure. It is pretty sharp though. I was watching a video on YouTube with the 18-35mm on the 80D and it really made the 80D pop.

I've done a quick test for you of a prime ART against a zoom ART at the same focal length along with a couple of other 35mm lenses for comparison.

I shot it on the X-T2 as it was the most universal mount as the lenses are EF, Nikon F, Fuji and Leica M mount.

Lenses are :

DSCF1826.thumb.jpg.267edb0fc675b8d1d7ecf84a987dd6f2.jpg

(L-R) Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 ART, Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART, Fuji 35mm f1.4 and the wildcard 7Artisans 35mm f2 M Mount.

Everything was shot at f1.8 to match the 18-35mm at the same exposure with the exception of the 7Artisans which was f2 and exposure adjusted. 

All of them are jpeg out of the camera using the ProNeg Standard profile.

The camera was locked off on a tripod so the FOV variance is due to the lens (and/or internal corrections in the case of the native Fuji lens) rather than a change of shooting position.

And, yes, the backlight on the light meter did stay on longer during the Fuji and 7Artisan shots hence the reflection in the table.

OK, here they are then.

First up is the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 ART

DSCF1817.thumb.jpg.50081bfa5f0810de29e77e8c6f4234cb.jpg

Next is the Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART

DSCF1820.thumb.jpg.cd896b8596bec2283392fd7a240febc7.jpg

Next is the Fuji 35mm f1.4

DSCF1822.thumb.jpg.d428dac1f3a86c2a447f1c96ef9f66fd.jpg

And finally here is the 7Artisans 35mm f2

DSCF1824.thumb.jpg.3ab28f9590c6a21044066e1afdd31007.jpg

For reference, the current price of these lenses on Amazon in the UK is:

Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 ART - £641

Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART - £649

Fuji 35mm f1.4 - £499

7Artisans 35mm f2 M Mount - £249

@BTM_Pix bear with me because I am looking at this on my phone right now but the Sigma 35 and the Fuji 35 look like the clear winners here but the 18-35 is holding its own considering it is wide open...

But when you consider the prices... the 7artisans wide open is a steal and definitely worth consideration. 

Thanks.

Btw, which Fuji do you have? I’m considering picking up the X-H1 because of the IBIS and it seems the 35mm 1.4 is one of the lenses that works the best with it?

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, mercer said:

@BTM_Pix bear with me because I am looking at this on my phone right now but the Sigma 35 and the Fuji 35 look like the clear winners here but the 18-35 is holding its own considering it is wide open...

But when you consider the prices... the 7artisans wide open is a steal and definitely worth consideration. 

Thanks.

Btw, which Fuji do you have? I’m considering picking up the X-H1 because of the IBIS and it seems the 35mm 1.4 is one of the lenses that works the best with it?

Yeah, the 18-35mm is almost like a freak of nature the way it stands up against primes.

The 7Artisans fits in the pocket somewhat easier in both senses of the word though !

Now that I'm not only sipping the Leica Kool Aid but feeding it in on an IV line, its my new best friend. Its worth bearing in mind as well with the (yes I'm going to mention it again) TechArt Pro adapter these small M mount lenses from 7Artisans and of course Voigtlander are given another dimension by being able to become auto focus on Sony E mount cameras.

I have the X-T2 and the X-T20. The X-H1 IBIS looked troublesome to me during the early tests I saw of it and when internal F-LOG was given as an update to the X-T2 my interest in the X-H1 cooled completely.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

My take away is the 7Artisans 35mm f2 M Mount - £249 is probably the worse, but for the money it is the best. Unless done side by side nobody would notice.

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/06/13/review-7artisans-35mm-f2-leica-m-mount-used-on-sony-fe/

My take away is how much degradation there is on images when you upload them on here !