Lenses

Andrew Reid

Spread the love, not the hate! Take the victories as they come knowing you can't win all the fights (and some aren't worth stepping in the ring for).

The world is too big to make everyone happy, so whatever you do, do it for yourself and don't be bothered too much with what others think.

Seen you and Albert Fast do great things with the new Olympus Pro f/1.2 optics and I appreciate the willingness to share your findings with us!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
50 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

The world is too big to make everyone happy, so whatever you do, do it for yourself and don't be bothered too much with what others think.

This is not about worrying what others think - it’s about some know-it-all joining the lens thread with the sole purpose of trashing the model in my video.

45 minutes ago, jonpais said:

This is not about worrying what others think - it’s about some know-it-all joining the lens thread with the sole purpose of trashing the model in my video.

@jonpais He complimented you ("Great images as always") then made an observation about the model not looking natural, which she doesn't. Why are you taking it so personally?

I have sent a personal message to jonpais asking what is going on in his posting such a personally insulting post (and yet another) in response to a post with criticism of a model he shot along with praise for the video quality and for him! jonpais and I have had many nice communications and share similar likes. So I was shocked by this response. I have also contacted Andrew Reid about it. I think any such personal attacks should be removed.

If that offensive post is not removed I will have more to say - but I think it best that all posts pertaining to that video to be deleted so we can get back to lenses. Note: I posted a lens demonstration video right after jonpais' video, which was in fact my purpose in joining the thread. It is ludicrous to believe that I joined the thread "with the sole purpose of trashing the model in my video." Also, the link in his ugly post does not work. I am not sure what it is a link to, as most of my videos are posted on Vimeo and this is a bad link to YouTube.

If jonpais was truly offended by that post (beginning with "Great images as always") he could have sent a personal message to me asking me to edit it - and I would have! But a public personal attack (and again) on motives and work is unacceptable.

7 hours ago, iamoui said:

@jonpais He complimented you ("Great images as always") then made an observation about the model not looking natural, which she doesn't. Why are you taking it so personally?

In a PM to me, Mark says I’m a sick old man, that my reaction suggests I’ve got ‘something to hide’, and ends by saying,

You ought to stop making little girls pose; it is disgusting.

So no, his remarks were not just harmless little comments.

10 minutes ago, jonpais said:

In a PM to me, Mark says I’m a sick old man, that my reaction suggests I’ve got ‘something to hide’, and ends by saying,

You ought to stop making little girls pose; it is disgusting.

So no, his remarks were not just harmless little comments.

Now we know the source of your defensiveness as manifested in your over-the-top, paranoid public over-reaction to my public mild and accurate comments about your "model." It is out in the open, for all to see. My public remarks were harmless, unless they struck a nerve. Which they evidently did. For good reason.

Nothing justifies your public personal attack. If you want to make my thoughts conveyed privately to you public, you are in worse condition than I thought.  

1 minute ago, markr041 said:

Now we know the source of your defensiveness as manifested in your over-the-top, paranoid public over-reaction to my mild and accurate comments about your "model." It is out in the open, for all to see. My public remarks were harmless, unless they struck a nerve. Which they evidently did. 

more bs inuendo.

50 minutes ago, jonpais said:

more bs inuendo.

Your "model" videos speak for themselves, as do your insulting comments. I showed them to some students I know, and they were shocked. Get a hold of yourself. I gave you the chance to back out gracefully, I have been a supporter of your video work. As I said, I would have been happy to remove what you found so surprisingly offensive, but you insisted on lashing out publicly. I still think all of these posts should be removed. Please complain to Mr. Reid, as I did.

My original comment on the model was based on my belief the subject was indeed a model, and I just found the poses amusingly ridiculous for a professional. When your defense was that the subject was a student, then that brought enlightenment about your defensiveness.

since jonpais wants to make personal messages public, let me post what I initially wrote to him (typos included):

"the poster you accuse of joining the lens thread to trash your model supposed to be me? The link is dead, but it seems you really took offense, even though it was a criticism of the subject not of your work!.

I said: "Nice image as always." That is a complement, and I meant it. I have in fact stayed away from criticizing the truly awful color grades people have posted. Your colors and lighting are very nice, as always. 2. I came to the lens thread for the first time to post a video with an old lens to show what it could do; it followed your post almost immediately. Why in the world would I join the thread just to criticize the "model". I actually found the content - this teen model acting phony - offensive, actually. It was not a criticism of her looks, but her behavior. But so what, the key point of  this forum is technique and I said it was great. Why do you care if anyone does not like the model?

In any case, your criticism  of me and my work and my intentions is way off base. Am I being paranoid, did you really mean to trash me personally, my videos and impugn my motivations? What is going on? What is that link?"

To which he replied he had nothing more to say to me. So I then privately told him what I thought of him, based on his behavior and his "student" videos.. And other insulting posts he has made in which others were victims. This is repeated behavior, not a one-off, though I think it is the worst I have ever seen from him or anyone.

4 hours ago, markr041 said:

Your "model" videos speak for themselves... I showed them to some students I know, and they were shocked.

My original comment on the model was based on my belief the subject was indeed a model, and I just found the poses amusingly ridiculous for a professional.

I just have to admit that I'm not at all shocked, contrary to students to whom you showed "model". (And what purpose has to be showing her as member of unpretentious Jon's efforts?) Maybe I'm without taste, but, in fact, I sincerely found that Huang is lovely girl willing to participate, enjoy, play, experiment in posing and grow in acting - just as Jon in his field of interests.

Moreover, if it is really necessary to discuss some obviously totally unpretentious production - if Huang looks "phony" to some "professional" standard, I found that she unwillingly compensate/balance or substitute it with often wonderful radiation of always changing looks of naivety, innocence, pleasure and even ironic "look-I'm-playing-a-big-actress"... So, I admit that I very enjoy it.

And what about that possibility that Huang actually deliberately/instinctively acts indeed as liking to have look on "amateurish" and "phony" side, finding that it is completely in line and appropriate to level of Jon's ambition? Than it all turns out that she has a capacity of truly professional...

Little lensologist advice needed. I've seen a few videos recently (and yet struggle to find those videos again) which feature some lovely smooth zoom ins to people's faces. I love this style and would love to try and replicate it. Any idea what I'd be looking at buying? Would it only be possible with a par-focal cine lens?

Let me know if my description is a little too vague. Basically, think wide shot, that quickly zooms into someones face, smoothly and in focus.

Re: everything above.

@jonpais For what it's worth, you may have to accept the occasional remark on the internet about a grey haired white man living in an Asian country posting videos of teen girls posing for the camera. The situation is so culturally and historically loaded, however unfair or inaccurate that may be for your individual situation.

@markr041 You're being immature. There's no need to label Jon 'sick', and I have no clue how anyone would be shocked (SHOCKED) at Jon's video. You're picking a fight and what you have said and directly insinuated is incredibly insulting towards Jon.

@Gregormannschaft

There are 3 ways of getting this:

1. With a lens that has an internal or external servo. A couple of examples are the Sonys FE PZ 28-135 or the Sony E PZ 18-105. They are usually parfocal, but  a very good AF should work as well. The external servo lenses are expensive! 

2. Manual zooming potentially with a follow-focus mechanism attached to the zoom ring. It is not very easy to get the same smoothness as with the servo. 

3. Digital zoom. Sony has even a Clear image zoom function that you can get smoothly get with a cheap remote. With A7rII I could get a 2X magnification and you can do even more in post if you start from a 4K footage. Of course this will give you the worse IQ and the zoom range is limited, but it is the cheapest way to get smoothness. 

13 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

@Gregormannschaft

There are 3 ways of getting this:

1. With a lens that has an internal or external servo. A couple of examples are the Sonys FE PZ 28-135 or the Sony E PZ 18-105. They are usually parfocal, but  a very good AF should work as well. The external servo lenses are expensive! 

2. Manual zooming potentially with a follow-focus mechanism attached to the zoom ring. It is not very easy to get the same smoothness as with the servo. 

3. Digital zoom. Sony has even a Clear image zoom function that you can get smoothly get with a cheap remote. With A7rII I could get a 2X magnification and you can do even more in post if you start from a 4K footage. Of course this will give you the worse IQ and the zoom range is limited, but it is the cheapest way to get smoothness. 

Cheers @Don Kotlos. Looks like option 1 would be the route to go down for my circumstances, I might try and rent one of those lenses out and have a play around.

@GregormannschaftHey, if m43 coverage is good enough, you could get a b4 2/3 lens with internal doubler, powering the servozoom with an external battery.

Jon, don´t react to negative pms or public messages. They are not worth to be read twice. Enjoy doing your work, just like we do watching it. Mark, I find your last remarks not inspiring nor supporting to do filmwork.

On 27/04/2018 at 8:41 PM, Geoff CB said:

For those who are interested the Tamron 28-75 2.8 is now on preorder. $800 for a 28-75 in E-mount seems like a hell of a deal.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1393332-REG/tamron_a036_28_75mm_f_2_8_di_iii.html

I recently bought the Sony 24-105 f4, even though this looked interesting. The Sony is a really nice lens, very sharp for a 'travel' zoom with surprisingly nice, soft bokeh.