Lenses

Andrew Reid

13 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Ha, I knew there was a connection there. :P Glad things are sorted out now! Now for the tedious bit... mounting! But you've seen this right?

Yeah, it looks pretty straightforward. If I run into any problems, I can just have them do it at a shop here.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@mercer. I got the 24-35! Yes I have installed the hack, however I am not sure if I will really use it. I used something similar on the sony6000 and didn't get all the color back. To be honest I don't trust a small codec to capture all the informations when they are compressed. Still it is a nice hack! But natural seems pretty nice too. 

My picture was shot with the sigma 17-35 1.8 and an old canon 500d. 

Took the lenses for a walk... and I must say so far I am not really happy with the 24-35, at least not wide open. Maybe it is lacking sharpness? The 35-70macro delivers much better in my opinion. Here I have some footage:
1. 24-35 Picture 
2. 35-70 Macro FunctionP1100136.thumb.jpg.598bdf80e2e0f4331323062b1a93fb32.jpgP1100146.thumb.jpg.b0e0c06b4df8c6978b71980b69c7a33b.jpg

Here are some AVCHD Full HD Framegrabs: 
1. 24-35
2. 35-70 macro
3. 50mm 1.4

cut.00_00_06_10.Standbild001.thumb.jpg.453f26a1537874dcb396062aa3443f9f.jpg
  cut.00_00_43_20.Standbild002.thumb.jpg.6568cd747efc34131f30a986e9b85567.jpgcut.00_01_03_20.Standbild003.thumb.jpg.d4e3667aabff70b3dba42fb25c606bdb.jpg.4 

Hey folks! I need some lens opinions. I've been using a Samsung NX1 with a 16-50 S lens for client work video. I've upgraded to a Panasonic EVA1 and am looking for a workhorse lens. I've looked at a lot of videos and read reviews. My 16-50 is great, but I'm thinking I'd like a little more reach. I'm looking for a one lens option. For cinema work I use primes. 

What are your opinions of the Sigma Art 24-105mm and the Tamron 24-70 that has optical stabization?

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/03/veydra-cine-mini-prime-mtf-optical-bench-tests/

Lens Rentals is absolutely the best technical tester of lenses out there. Interesting article about why Roger decided to spend the time to test the Veydra cine primes despite him expecting poor performance and high variability like other low cost, off-brand photo or cine lenses, and what he discovered testing on an optical bench.

Turns out they perform very well with little copy to copy variance. Worth a read if you're curious about these lenses.

• Super Members
7 hours ago, jonpais said:

@darrellcraig The Veydras kick some butt. Interesting that Roger says they’re only available in E-mount and micro 4/3... hehe High resolution, low field curvature, low sample variance, crisper on micro 4/3 than Zeiss CPs. Good to know they’re renting a lot of these. 

Did you get the E-mount adapter in expectation of getting an A7iii Jon?

3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Did you get the E-mount adapter in expectation of getting an A7iii Jon?

I received the X-mounts a little while back and felt a tinge of regret at not having ordered E-mounts instead, thinking I might switch over to Sony with the announcement of the a7 III. But it looks like Veydra will be around for a while, so no hurry. I’d been tossing around the idea of getting X-mounts ever since buying the Veydras, and with the release of the Fuji X-H1, I figured some filmmakers might be interested in seeing how they performed on an APS-C sensor. I might do a couple tests with the X-T2 in the next couple of months. 

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I received the X-mounts a little while back and felt a tinge of regret at not having ordered E-mounts instead, thinking I might switch over to Sony with the announcement of the a7 III. But it looks like Veydra will be around for a while, so no hurry. I’d been tossing around the idea of getting X-mounts ever since buying the Veydras, and with the release of the Fuji X-H1, I figured some filmmakers might be interested in seeing how they performed on an APS-C sensor. I might do a couple tests with the X-T2 in the next couple of months. 

I definitely think you'd be doing a good turn for the X-H1 owners with that test.

Lack of AF won't be a hindrance anyway with their current firmware .... ;)