Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@JordanWright I had that lens back in September. I didn’t have a great copy of it though and found I liked the image from my Tokina 24-40mm better and it’s much smaller. However if I can find one at a good price I may give it another try eventually.

Here are a couple I shot with it on the 5D3...

B7EAB487-FA37-4911-B0E7-B00D97B467DE.jpeg

AA7B2B78-F377-45A3-8972-DFC5C13A44F5.jpeg

And here’s one I shot on the 24-40mm...

97593857-0A95-4460-9DC4-322436CED114.jpeg

With all three of those, I was testing some different looks rather than just normalizing the clips, but all in all Tokina has some great vintage lenses... even their old RMC prime lenses have some interesting character. 

@kidzrevil yes they make all of their lenses in the F Mount... that last one is a Tokina 24-40mm f/2.8  in F mount.

Here’s the same lens on the NX500. This was when I would just slap a LUT (multiple) on everything, but you can see how it looks with a 2.5x crop...

And finally here is a screengrab with that lens from the D5500... so a S35mm crop. I was going through a tint phase, to try and find a simple vintage look... so the colors are kinda weird... I actually like it, but I am probably one of the only people around here that will...

0AB9B10C-D6C0-48D3-8356-BA88CEBCCF36.jpeg

Hum, now with the GH5S being that good at higher ISOs... the Olympus ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO suddenly has gotten more interesting. I wonder if the IS works on Panasonic bodies...

- seems that way! :grin: Noice. A sudden gem with that MF de-clutch as well.

On 1/6/2018 at 8:31 PM, jonpais said:

Robin Wong shares some beautiful looking sample images in his review of the Olympus 17.5mm f/1.2. Looks like he’s fallen hard for this one, and for good reason - and if Sigma hadn’t released the 16mm f/1.4, this would be my first lens purchase of 2018. I also shared practically the same feelings about 35mm-ish focal length equivalent lenses as Robin did before shooting extensively with the Sigma, preferring either the Leica 12mm f/1.4 for environmental portraiture or the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 for head-and-shoulders work. As far as feathered bokeh goes, I can’t say I prefer it over ‘normal’ bokeh but since it only manifests itself at the widest apertures, you can decide how you want the final image to look. Sometimes I prefer clearly defined coin-shaped bokeh,  sometimes I like softer edges. 

The olympus 1.2 lenses look incredible ! Do they perform the same on Panasonic bodies as they do on Olympus ? I remember hearing Panasonic lenses don’t work the same on Olympus bodies. Im in love with the 12mm leica but the olympus lenses are tempting

37 minutes ago, jonpais said:

It does, but you’ll have to choose one or the other. ?

You mean... that flexible zoomrange making you give up quite a bit of shallow depth of field possibility? Well yeah...

Neways. As I'm wandering around I'm reminded of some previous things I've been keeping an eye on over the years. Like, before MFT there was FT. And there was for example the Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 and I remember having seen the very pro and expensive SWD line-up by Olympus which was supposedly better. Now... I just noticed that the 14-35mm f/2.0 SWD is for sale at Park Cameras for around a thousand bucks, whilst everywhere else it's over 2000! Does anyone know if this would be a gem to use in 2018... or does it not make sense at all. From what I remember from previous research, forummembers were going crazy for these (like, way back in the day though).

5 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

The olympus 1.2 lenses look incredible ! Do they perform the same on Panasonic bodies as they do on Olympus ? I remember hearing Panasonic lenses don’t work the same on Olympus bodies. Im in love with the 12mm leica but the olympus lenses are tempting

Believe they don't do automatic lens correction for jpeg (distortion, chromatic abberation correction). You could do that in post if the lens profile is availlable (or manually) in your editing/developing software.

Robin Wong, Ming Thien, lenstip and just about everyone else agrees that the 12-100 is an awesome instrument. Right, no correction for aberrations, no dual IBIS, and AF performance will probably take a hit on a Panasonic body too. Color rendition will also differ from Panasonic and Leica if that’s important to you. All my recent frame grabs have been with the Oly 75mm: it remains one of my very favorites, and with AF-S on the GH5, it is usually spot on. It’s also wonderfully compact. The 12-100 is going to be a little beast on a u4/3 body. If you had to choose only one lens the 12-100 might be the one to go for; and with the low light capability of the GH5s, f/4 may be sufficient for some photographers; but I don’t think I could ever accept not having creative control over depth of field, especially at the wide end. 

32 minutes ago, mercer said:

@TheRenaissanceMan nice... was that with the F3?

Thanks! Yep, F3 running 10-bit 4:2:2 into a Blackmagic Video Assist. 

The director just did some basic corrections and a film emulation LUT. I'll post updated stills once we finish our pickups and start on the proper grade.