Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

@cantsin  looks like a fun lens definately. What´s up with the sound at 7.50 with the DJane holding the cellphone, is she recording off the amp?

I only paid $50 for the lens, but it's everything but handy - ca. 3kg heavy and with a filter diameter of 105mm (so I couldn't use my IR cut filter and wouldn't be able to use my NDs), needing a slim c-mount adapter ring + lens support.

- No, she's not recording off the amp but playing the field recording from her mobile on the amp.

10 hours ago, Digitaliant said:

Yes I noticed too that there is a quite sensible difference btw the Sigma and the Leica with ETC which has less contrast (without it is the usual splendid performer, no doubts about it).

If i had the GH5 I'd most probably use the ETC when I need to be closer to the subject with a tele lens so to get an extra reach. I am not fully convinced of the ETC with wide or normal lenses.

I’ve used ETC a ton with many lenses, including the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN in a comparison (ETC mode on/off) in my very first review as well as a couple of shots in my in-depth look, and can assure you that it does not reduce contrast. I was shooting in available light, so it’s possible that the light changed, or perhaps I did something dumb in post. 

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

I’ve used ETC a ton with many lenses, including the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN in a comparison (ETC mode on/off) in my very first review as well as a couple of shots in my in-depth look, and can assure you that it does not reduce contrast. I was shooting in available light, so it’s possible that the light changed, or perhaps I did something dumb in post. 

Thanks, that's a precious info.

@jonpais

just a couple of things

I like the 12mm field of view but the 16mm looks more natural without the obvious "distortions" of that focal length. 

Any lens from 12 to 75mm can be used for blogging but I think 16mm is a very good compromise not to get the camera too far with a natural look.

F/1.4 looks perfectly usable with very good out of focus zones, color rendering is great.

Was your profile picture made with the 12mm or the 7.5mm ?

This afternoon, I returned to the Ho Chi Minh City Museum to do some more shooting, and they wanted to charge me $50.00, so we hopped into a taxi and drove to the zoo, but they wouldn't let us in with my all my gear.So we ended up shooting just outside the entrance. Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN, 400Mbps ALL-Intra, HLG, ISO 400. Just a super quick color correction. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 5.50.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 5.51.17 PM.png

I've been shooting a bit with the HLG profile lately and I love it. I have to do a direct comparison with Cine D and V-log, but my experience so far is that it's super for a fast turnaround. I have the Leeming LUT too, but I often find it better (to my taste) to correct it my self. Have to look more into that as well. 

What are your thoughts on the Sigma vs the Veydra or are you saving that for video comparison? 

@Fredrik Lyhne Some of my favorite videos online have been shot with Cinelike D. 

I’ve thought of doing a comparison with the Veydra 16mm, one of the sharpest of the Veydras from my brief test. Of course, that would mean bringing out the old tripod and the whole rig.... Today was actually my very first time taking out the iFootage tripod in forever - so heavy! My student (the model) brought along her girlfriend, so she was responsible for playing music on her phone ?and intermittently holding the reflector, which she’d never done before - and neither had I! So a lot of the shots turned out crazy looking.

Because they assumed I was a professional photographer,  I was practically turned away from two places in one day (the museum was asking $50.00, the zoo refused to let me enter with.... a reflector!) Maybe they thought it would frighten the animals. ? Aside from having to plan out our itinerary a little better next time, there’s also the problem of finding people willing to work for peanuts. =)

I was able to mount the G85 and Sigma on the original Crane, so I’d like to shoot some stuff with that combination next.

:(  Oh, dang it. Although I'm not surprised. But friggin' focus-by-wire should be forbidden already!

Don't you have one of them low-profile folded pop-up reflector kits with like 5 reflectors in 1? They have 'em in different sizes.

zz4Hvhf.jpg

The fold up into that little round black bag she's holding. Shouldn't really draw much attention getting in to some place.

@Cinegain I've got one of those tall rectangular ones; it still folds up into a small sleeve similar to the one the woman's holding: but for the life of me, once I take it out, I can't fold it up again! I've tried it a hundred times and I've even watched tutorials. =) I've snapped one in half already. I was going to wait till I meet my buddy on Saturday and have him put it away for me. Hopeless!

Edit: To those wondering whether I'll be reviewing the Olympus 17.5mm f/1.2 - no way am I going to spend $1,200.00 on a fourth medium wide angle. :=)

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

@Cinegain I've got one of those tall rectangular ones; it still folds up into a small sleeve similar to the one the woman's holding: but for the life of me, once I take it out, I can't fold it up again! I've tried it a hundred times and I've even watched tutorials. =)

Would love to see a video on that! :joy::joy::joy: