Lenses

Andrew Reid

Good review and impressions of place and people. Some really nice people you filmed. I think you told us before that people are more relaxed about cameras if approached nicely in your neighborhood. I´d do it where I live, I´d be in trouble. But if I go to the more tourist areas, it will be just fine and well received. A 16mm Veydra T2, okay, I see..:) Would love to see more of that bad sister, but in the beautiful verité style you did the Fuji BW video with. Though it is not so easy to film that cinematically just like that all the time. Not even Phil Bloom did that, but shot video rather photgraphically from tripods, though beautifully done of course.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

At last, i bought used Voigtlander 17.5mm and 25mm, and shot a wedding with this two lens only on last Saturday. (except a few clips taken with 3rd cam 550D + Tokina 11-16mm).
Absolutely love the Voigtlanders over Sigma 18-35.

I decided to let go the Sigma 18-35mm. Even though it's sharper, but the images is flat, lack of the sense of space
....... yes, there's bokeh, but the subject is like flatten together with the bokeh background............

The wedding video i took with Voigtlanders: https://app.frame.io/f/08d54464-1d99-4b00-90b6-40720df62c3ez

collage.jpg

On 11/26/2017 at 8:41 AM, jonpais said:

Coming shortly - more Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN sample footage. All screen shots HLG, SOOC. (click on images to enlarge)

Wow, what a nice framing at No1!

10 hours ago, Terry Lee said:

I decided to let go the Sigma 18-35mm. Even though it's sharper, but the images is flat, lack of the sense of space

This. Searching for effect of ultimate possible "sharpness" at wide open, Sigma lens constructors leveled image with string of correcting operations - some sort of subtle plastic surgery.

As much as I want to get into sigma lenses they have too much optical correction which leads to a very flat image. I had the sigma 18-35mm and quickly returned it. They are sharp as hell and super contrasty which pretty much fits what the modern shooter looks for in a lens. You don’t notice how flat the image is until you start shooting glass with less optical correction such as old contax zeiss for example. One sigma I do have my eye on though is the 30mm f2.8 art lens because it is the same design as the lens on the sigma quatro body.

@jonpais
looking forward to check out your in-depth review of the Sigma art 16mm 1.4

I guess Leica and Zeiss user will have lot of negative comments on the Voigtlander too, and i still gonna stick with Voigtlander until i can afford higher quality glass

When i had very limited budget back then, and can only barely afford an used sigma 18-35mm.... it's heaven to me when i got my sigma 18-35mm + MC-11 on my a6300, and even more happier when i switched to G85 + Speed Booster XL.

@kidzrevil @anonim
I was brainwashed to check only the sharpness chart, checking dxomark when comet to choosing lenses............ I have no idea what the heck is 3d pop, micro contrast & etc, And i've just started to learn to understand these terms

You guys are so blessed with return policy, no such things here in Malaysia/Singapore......... if you don't like what you bought, you just have to sell it at loss....

Why so? Your last set of images look gorgeous by any standard. What's impressed me the most is that they were made with uncorrected HLG profile - it seems that any lut combination just worsen original.

Gaining point of Sigma Art lenses is their first impression - so clean, so naturally polish, so subtle organic imitation of natural colors.  They are girls that call to be followed in park and to the highend hotel beach.

But some silly guys will always prefer touch of wildness and fire in eye - as a future proof for possible spontaneous adventures.

19 minutes ago, Terry Lee said:

You guys are so blessed with return policy, no such things here in Malaysia/Singapore......... if you don't like what you bought, you just have to sell it at loss....

Believe me, you surely won't to exchange with mine arround-circumstances regards... well... policy.

BTW I have m43 Voigts, and speedboosted Zeiss Contax and Leica R lenses. Rendition of Voigts and Zeisses are similar and easy to match. Leica R has its own (addictive, especially for filming) color world that could be finely mimic with today's powerful grading tools, but never achieved quite the same. Voigtlanders are the cleanest.

@Terry Lee yup that used to me ! I cared about sharpness and only sharpness and spent a ton on zeiss milvus glass ??‍♂️

What killed me is the fact that a lot of that lens sharpness gets softened because of youtube/vimeo compression so it defeated the purpose of having such lenses.

Contax Zeiss glass really showed me what 3D pop was about and rendered completely different from my milvus set. I’ve since jumped to old nikkor pre ai glass which are single coated and lack most optical correction seen in modern lenses. The 3D pop and microcontrast are way more noticeable even when watching compressed footage than lens sharpness is so I’ve been real happy with old nikkors on a speedbooster.

the voigtlander set for micro 4/3rds is phenomenal. If you have them keep them ! They are liked a suped up super 16mm lens with 3D pop,contrast,great color rendering and sharpness. I miss my voigtlander m43 lenses even over the leica m voigtlander set I owned

Yes, Voigtlanders have signature very simmilar (well, sort of) Zeiss Master Prime lenses. From the other side, Leica's have more than base relationship with rendition of Panavision G Series lenses. It is, I think, matter of taste and atmosphere that makes a difference about what someone looks for.

To get a best highend example of Voigts/Zeiss side of spectre, look, say, Danish Girl rendition.

Contrary, for Leica/Panavision preferences, look, say, The Light Between Ocean.

Both spectacular. I've say - Zeisses more sincere to pure nature, Leicas more artistically pleasant.

My humble advice regarding m43: keep Voigtlanders, despite strange (or amusing) shifting behavior/imperfection, nothing still beat them for m43 use and narative filming intention.

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

have at it

This is my first post in this great forum. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Jon Pais, great colors, great and smooth outfocus zones.

On my GX-80 it will be more a 35 mm F/1.4 field of view equivalent.

I just bought it and I can't wait to receive it.

Please, when you have some time can you compare it to the 12mm Leica F/1.4. I know that the field of view is different and it's like to compare apples with oranges but it would be great if you can say something on the distortions of both lenses. I tried the 12mm a while ago and I found it quite impressive in this sense and with really great colors and bokeh. In fact, it's still in my shopping list.

Thanks

@Digitaliant Thanks! If I ever do a comparison between the Leica and the Sigma, it would probably be with the Leica + ETC, which would give an effective focal length of 33.5mm cf. to the Sigma's 32mm. My biggest regrets are (1) not having brought along a tripod, since I shake like the devil, and (2) not using the camera with a cage and monitor. With AF, it's virtually impossible to know exactly what the camera is focusing on - a highlight in the glasses or hair? the near eye or the far? or on a reflection or light source in the distance? The only way to be certain is to use an external monitor and focus manually. Unless the subject is wearing glasses, I prefer to focus on the pores of their skin. When using my BMD Video Assist, I adjust focus until I see the skin 'blush' red, at which point, I know the face will be sharp. Another regret is not having used a reflector.... and I could go on and on. 

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

have at it

Jon, I just have to say that you are a workhorse. Between these lens reviews and the tips and tricks on the GH5 and the HLG posts, you have more than been a source of great info.

And with this post, you have really begun to sell me on this focal length. And I keep forgetting about the benefits of ETC. Good stuff. Beautiful shots. Great work.

Quick unrelated question, does ETC work with anamorphics? I have no anamorphics with which to test.

5 hours ago, jonpais said:

have at it

Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 9.41.27 PM.png

Nice review. I must admit, since I no longer own a micro 4/3 camera, I hadn’t watched many of your reviews but I watched a few today and they are nicely done. I particularly enjoyed the videos with the back and forth banter between you and the bald fella. Most entertaining and informative. 

23 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

It looks much cleaner graded ! @PannySVHS does that still fit rec2020 or is that graded for rec709 ?

Hey Kidz, that´s rec709. I download the  very compressed 2K 130mb file of off youtube. I think it´s rec709 from the start due to Jons Leeming Lut and due to youtube. If not, then for sure the grade is 709. So it´s 709:)