Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I can tell you that the 16mm f/1.4 DC DN for micro four thirds is silly sharp. Wide open, bohek is what you'd expect if you already own the 30mm, though of course, it's not going to be as pronounced. I was hoping to put a review up this evening before anyone else, but I think I might need some shuteye. Plus, I didn't get enough sample footage this evening. Maybe tomorrow...

Below is a screen grab, wide open (view full size).

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 8.16.50 PM.png

Lumix GH5, HLG, ISO 800

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

I know you'll be screaming 'heresy!', but examining the shots I've taken so far with the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 Contemporary, it's practically a longer focal length PanLeica Summilux 12mm f/1.4 twin.

I don’t know enough about the 12mm but I think that may be one of my favorites of your shots. Very nice colors. I love how the blue umbrella pops right behind his head and then the red on his collar helps to bring our attention to his face. He’s looking at you like he thinks you’re a spy... Lol. 

Can you post a photo of that lens on your camera? I’d like to see how big it is.

Thanks! It's HLG, Sharpening -5, NR -5. I'd been using the X-Rite Colorchecker for all my white balancing, but I've found that under certain conditions, like tungsten light or outdoors at night, I can't rely on it, so lately, I've just been using the Cloudy preset on the Lumix. The shot was at least one shot underexposed. I also applied Nick Driftwood's LUT (free!) and added a tiny touch of color correction. The lens is pretty gargantuan - virtually impossible to use with the GH5 on the original Zhiyun Crane. Here's a photo of the Sigma 16mm in all it's oversized glory.

IMG_0734.jpg

Damn that is pretty big, isn’t the 30mm kinda small? How do the two lenses match up? Is the color tonal qualities, bokeh and sharpness similar?

Wasn’t there some talk back in the GX85 thread about pushing the WB a couple notches toward red or yellow? So I guess the cloudy preset is doing something similar? Either way it works.

6 hours ago, mercer said:

Damn that is pretty big, isn’t the 30mm kinda small? How do the two lenses match up? Is the color tonal qualities, bokeh and sharpness similar?

Wasn’t there some talk back in the GX85 thread about pushing the WB a couple notches toward red or yellow? So I guess the cloudy preset is doing something similar? Either way it works.

I think of all the presets, cloudy is the most useful. It could be my eyes, the deeper depth of field, or just the excitement of owning a new lens, but if anything, the 16mm looks even sharper. I haven’t really had it long enough to know for sure. The two lenses complement one another perfectly.

1 hour ago, Samin said:

I was considering to get this lens as I can get it around 400€ but damn that's big and heavy (around 400g?) Maybe I should go for Pana 15mm f1.7 instead. 

Does anyone here have Pana 15mm? 

Its a gorgeous lens to use and hold. But I think it is a bit overrated because it is so well made, with the aperture ring (which I always use).

I am expecting the Sigma to blow it away and will be happy to sell it as I have an alternative compact solution for photos (Ricoh GR). The 15 isnt bad, it is better than the sharp Panny 20mm and the other primes in similar ranges,  but it doesn't have the magic that the Sigma 30 1.4 has.

For maximum IQ the Sigma will almost certainly win in the corners and edges at wide apertures. Hopefully there will be some comparison reviews for confirmation. Jon saying it is like a longer PL12 is a massive indicator that it will be a big step up. Like when someone posted a yoga video in this thread and switched from the PL15 to the PL12 half way though. The difference was very noticeable.

a draft of a video im working on for rushcard. Its shot with the Panasonic G80 with natural profile and simple color correction. Lenses used are the nikkor auto 55mm f1.2 (nippon kogaku) and the nikkor auto 28mm f2 w/ tiffen satin filter & metabones speedbooster xl. I love how the speedbooster adds contrast back to old glass !

I only had a chance to shoot with the Sigma for a little over a day, but it's definitely a worthy successor to the 30mm f/1.4 DC DN, if not even sharper. It reminds me of nothing less than the Leica Summilux 12mm f/1.4, my favorite vlogging lens for the longest time - until the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 unseated it. Anyhow, apologies for the hastily put together video, I wanted to share it as quickly as I could. Incidentally, the good folks at Sigma must have been listening when I derided their 30mm for being so puny, so they rewarded us with a gargantuan lens that's too heavy to fly on my Zhiyun Crane. hehe

I'm orange as a pumpkin in honor of Thanksgiving. =)

I've got a shoot in the morning with one of my students, so I just might have to take the Sigma for another spin. Hope she's clean shaven! =) Can't imagine the USD 1,200 Olympus 17mm f/1.2 holding a candle to this one in terms of sharpness, but I guess we'll see. Thing is, if you'd like to fly this bad boy on a gimbal, you might as well forget it, unless you want to shell out some dough for the Crane 2. So I'd advise anyone who even thinks they might like to do some gimbal work to stick with the PL 15. 

Johnny (it better) b goode, @jonpais:)  Your 16mill review I mean. Downloading it in beasty 2K resolution to see your review despite my slow(-you guys love the- ish -suffix:) internet connection. By the way, anonimito, be you good too, cat!:) How is manual focussing. Guess it´s in your review. Okay, no need to conversate then:)