Lenses

Andrew Reid

37 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Okay, three lenses in the mix and a rented GH5 in 8bit 100mbps natural profile. FD 28 and 100, both stellar lenses, and a fun slr magic 12mm. all lenses shot at f4 and 800iso. Trailer is for my shortfilm I shot end of august. Trailer is for the soundguy, so he gets a feel before rough cut is finished.. I really like the cam and the FDs on a focalreducer. I think with a 28 and a 100 on a focal reducer you are set. Might put up a PW. It will be boxcar.

The color looks incredible !

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, kidzrevil said:

The color looks incredible !

Thanks you! This coming from you is very exiting! Thanks a lot, my friend! I am very exited about the GH5. Not mine though. I only rented it. Also, these Canon FDs are something I cannot praise about enough. The 100mm is even more amazing in its visual splendor. But the 28 on S35 booster is amazing too. I shot at 8bit only, 100mbps HD, natural profile with contrast at 0, color-2. Even though I put sharpness all the way down to -5 it is still too sharp for my eyes. I think some kidzrevils lensing and filter skills are needed for this camera. Deezid of this forum has stated that only the 6K mode allows your to turn sharpening off completely. I assume V Log should come very close to it.

I loved the canon FD lenses honestly. The color’s are so warm and the contrast is perfect on low dynamic range cameras ! The only reason I haven’t invested in them again is because there was no speedbooster xl for them ! The Canon FD L series of lenses were the best to me as well as the 35mm f2 ssc @PannySVHS 

Have you tried the tiffen black diffusion fx ?

14 hours ago, mercer said:

I’m exaggerating a little... but not by much... sadly. Good news is, it’s a blast trying to sell a bunch of lenses nobody wants. 

Was sorta hoping you weren't joking, would've made me feel less bad about my own buy & try behaviour over the last years in search of the holy grail look. :lol:

8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well this opens up a few more options for the GH5.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/11/20/mtf-pl-to-m43-adaptor/

Didn't you know about that yet? The ciecio7 adapters used to be very popular (and maybe they are still... things seem to have quiet down since the GH2, BMPCC & GH4 days).

Another well-regarded mount adapter maker (mostly Russian stuff like Kiev-16U, OCT-19, OCT-18, ...):

3 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Was sorta hoping you weren't joking, would've made me feel less bad about my own buy & try behaviour over the last years in search of the holy grail look. :lol:

Unfortunately, I wasn’t joking all that much... I easily have 60 lenses. But probably more like 75. The sad part is that I bought lenses that I’ve never bought adapters for. I have some brand new Yashica lenses that I only took out of the box to look at. In the spring, I spent over an hour filing down the edges of an M43 to Micro 4/3 adapter so I could mount my Olympus FTL lenses onto the GX85 without filing down the dreaded pin on the mount. I then proceeded to never mount the lens onto a camera... LOL. And now I’m selling my set of Olympus M42 lenses... which is kind of sad because they were made with a smooth, declicked aperture ring... but I don’t use them, so they really gotta go. 

11 minutes ago, mercer said:

Unfortunately, I wasn’t joking all that much... I easily have 60 lenses. But probably more like 75. The sad part is that I bought lenses that I’ve never bought adapters for. I have some brand new Yashica lenses that I only took out of the box to look at. In the spring, I spent over an hour filing down the edges of an M43 to Micro 4/3 adapter so I could mount my Olympus FTL lenses onto the GX85 without filing down the dreaded pin on the mount. I then proceeded to never mount the lens onto a camera... LOL. And now I’m selling my set of Olympus M42 lenses... which is kind of sad because they were made with a smooth, declicked aperture ring... but I don’t use them, so they really gotta go. 

Ah, so we do have enough in common to attend LAS meetings. :sweat_smile: The never ending quest to find the holy grail look (if you're a bit of an audiosnob, it's comparable to searching for that perfect audiosignature; as it happens to be I don't particularly have a single set of IEMs/headphones either, lol). Well, I have like 35 native M43 lenses alone, add tons of Nikon mount lenses (be it Nikkor, Sigma, Tokina or Vivitar for example), quite a few Contax Zeiss primes to make a set, only 2 Leica Summicron-R primes and a boatload of older really vintage stuff, like all the Russians and other quirky lenses in M42 mount, FD zooms and primes, Pentax-M, Minolta MD and a bunch of C-mounts or other stuff... and it's fair to say it might've gotten just a tiny bit out of hand. Good call on shrinking the collection, will probably follow your lead before I do a country swap and move 1000+ km away. Moving away is always a nice excuse to finally get rid of some stuff that doesn't necessarily enriches your life. :tounge:

On its own, it’s a lovely look, like golden coins suspended in air, but it’s competing for our attention with the in-focus snow-covered bicycle in the foreground. By f/2, the effect all but disappears - so if the photographer feels the look is distracting, they can always stop down the lens.

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, jonpais said:

On its own, it’s a lovely look, like golden coins suspended in air, but it’s competing for our attention with the in-focus snow-covered bicycle in the foreground. By f/2, the effect all but disappears - so if the photographer feels the look is distracting, they can always stop down the lens.

This is of course a crop of a much larger image and the bicycle is supposed to be the main subject.

I'm still not overly fond of that hard-edged bokeh, but different strokes for different folks. Waiting to hear back from John Barlow re: the Rectilux and also trying to track down a fellow here in Vietnam who can make a clamp for me. All of which has me thinking it's not going to fly... And again, even if I got John to ship me the Rectilux, it's gonna run into thousands of dollars all told... Nevertheless, here's a fellow who shot with the Kowa 8-z and a Nikkor-H without a diopter. GH5. No teal and orange bullshit. No Super 35. No RAW. Just beautiful lensing. hehe

@Cinegain The Optikovs look great - sharp as heck, brilliant oval bokeh - but next to impossible to find anything concrete online. Works of art that would not be out of place in a museum. Maybe only available for rental. Precious little information.

Edit: As of March of this year, there was only one set in the USA.

CF4DCA3E-24DA-4DFB-8AA5-B47C12859836.jpeg