Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Some screen grabs from a project I shot recently. This is shot with the nikkor auto 55 f1.2. Personally I love the style of rendering when combined with the speedbooster xl. I used a tiffen satin filter to diffuse the highlights

9F490553-A0B1-4D4C-AAB4-6A9FCC3BD339.png

EF0859E7-9AAB-4CAE-B8DF-09AC98E725BD.png

D3BD10C9-A6FA-41E6-A725-0248F373226E.png

73E0936C-79E1-475F-A4D7-6B8C22D69678.png

589F1FD2-18E9-454D-9338-B4172C22A808.png

As you know, I have been a fan of your work since your GH4 days, but I must say, your stuff has gotten exponentially better since you started using the G85 and the a6500. Your recent a6500 videos and this G85 stuff is next level. If I had any kind of real budget and was shooting something in the city, I would definitely try to hire you... I can only imagine what you could do with an Arri Mini.

Sorry I think I have the wrong term. The Thai salesman called it that but may have been referring to the action of snapping back the focus ring to make it manual. Its just the same thing as on the Oly 17mm f1.8.

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Snap focus?
Tell me more :)

(have been wishing for that feature in other than Ricoh cameras for years.)

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Mat Mayer said:

Sorry I think I have the wrong term. The Thai salesman called it that but may have been referring to the action of snapping back the focus ring to make it manual. Its just the same thing as on the Oly 17mm f1.8.

Bummer :)

Luckily the GRii is good for a couple of more years.

@mercer I appreciate that bro ! I look at these cameras like yesterdays high end tech now small enough to be used handheld.

these Nikkor (nippon kogaku era) lenses are amazing to me. I can use them on both my Sony & Panasonic bodies and they all fit my 52mm filters. 

With the speedbooster the lenses sharpen up in the center and gradually get softer in the corners. The way the OOF areas render & the random flare gives the image a lot of texture. I never got subject separation like this from my other glass. Not even my zeiss milvus set.

@Cinegain I could see the Veydras being for someone who shoots a lot of corporate stuff and needs to play it safe with a picky client. I have one client that I swear must zoom in 200% when I send them work because they pixel peep for any type of distortion or corner softness. For a client like that those veydra primes would create a uniform look they can live with. Me personally I rather lenses with characteristics I can’t replicate in post. The Veydras seem like a lens set that can give me repeatable results

@Cinegain [...] ? Not gonna disagree with you there, but first, I think we should be comparing the Veydras to other cine glass, not to stills lenses... Secondly, a set of four true cinema lenses (eight if you count ETC mode. ?) with the ‘Summilux factor’ would easily set us back over $20,000, whereas the Veydras  would only run around $4,000-$5,000. And lastly of course, there’s the subject matter, technical skill, lighting and grading - I’ve seen worse shot with Angenieux, Arri Primes and Cooke.  I’ve also seen lots better. ?

That is very true! It's superb value for the unique thing you're getting there, that's just unheard of, Samyang/Rokinon/Walimex Pro VDSLR lenses have nothing on them. XEEN is more like it... but you'll quickly reconsider with those kind of prices! Did see a Prime Circle cinemodded Zeiss lens around $1k once, thought that would be interesting, but looking further into it, that was excluding taxes and that was only the 50mm, the other focal lengths could be up to something like twice expensive. Or that set of S35 covering CineAlta lenses that has come down in price significantly... but, these are gigantors! That's the beauty of the Veydras, yes they aren't exactly pancake lenses, but they are far from the typical bulky cine lenses you might see out there, still very manageable. So yes, there's nothing quite like them and especially not at that price point.

12 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@Cinegain yup ! The g85. I love this little camera

Nice! :D Was afraid you were going all-in on the A6500, since you seem to love the results so much. Just a question, did you try the GH5 yet or any plans to buy one?

Yeah, the G85 basically is a mini-GH5 already, imagine a successor! :grin: But the GH5 is just so well-equipped, that it's hard to ignore... especially with the new firmware, incl. e.g. HLG. Is it that you like the size/weight, perhaps simplicity or price of the G-range a bit better compared to the GH5?

I was preparing to do a full review of the Laowa 7.5mm f/2 at a McDonalds this morning when I was accosted by a nutjob, and in the process of rushing out of the restaurant, my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN went crashing to the floor. I was too shaken to shoot any more footage this afternoon.

So this morning, as I was preparing to do a full review of the Laowa 7.5mm f/2 lens at a local McDonald's, I was accosted by a young fellow, who started moving my equipment around, violentlyshaking the table I was sitting at and asking me to move. While trying to get away as quickly as possible from this deranged person, I dropped my Sigma 30mm f/2 lens on the ground. Because I had no idea where else to go, I took the lens to an authorized Nikon repair shop in district one. The repairman promptly walked up to a chart that looked like it'd been on the wall since the 1960s, took one photo, examined the jpeg on the LCD screen of my G85 and said there was nothing wrong with the lens. Here's the picture he shot.

P1040368.JPG

Lately all I'm using is the Voigtländer 17.5mm ... wish the WiFi Remote had a better resolution so it would be easier to judge sharpness when wide open. Wish there was a lens like that with autofocus.

Played around with it on one of the last warm days we had. It's only super short clip because it's for the girlfriend's IG.

Password: smucho

GH5 with the Voigtländer 17.5mm 0.95 (pretty much all  f/0.95 - 1.4) with Tiffen Warm Black Pro Mist 1/8 filter, all handheld. Total sloppy hack job. Just liked the combination of rendering and setting sun's light.

4 hours ago, Phil A said:

Lately all I'm using is the Voigtländer 17.5mm ... wish the WiFi Remote had a better resolution so it would be easier to judge sharpness when wide open. Wish there was a lens like that with autofocus.

Played around with it on one of the last warm days we had. It's only super short clip because it's for the girlfriend's IG.

Password: smucho

GH5 with the Voigtländer 17.5mm 0.95 (pretty much all  f/0.95 - 1.4) with Tiffen Warm Black Pro Mist 1/8 filter, all handheld. Total sloppy hack job. Just liked the combination of rendering and setting sun's light.

Really nice looking. I watched it on my phone so I can’t tell... was it shot in 4K? It actually reminds me a little of BMMCC footage I took a while back with Jon Voigtlander 25mm.