Lenses

Andrew Reid

4 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

The aperture blades on my old Carl Zeiss Jena 35mm lens are stuck wide open. Dang. Think there's a good Berlin living population on here, could anyone recommend a decent lens repair option? I was quoted 40/50 euros from a place close to Ostkreuz and was hoping for a cheaper option given the lens cost 70 euros.

That happens to all of those lenses. The good new is you can have them declick it while it's being cleaned. I think there's a few places that list on eBay that will do a full CLA on old Zeiss Jena lenses for a fairly inexpensive price. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
58 minutes ago, mercer said:

That happens to all of those lenses. The good new is you can have them declick it while it's being cleaned. I think there's a few places that list on eBay that will do a full CLA on old Zeiss Jena lenses for a fairly inexpensive price. 

Cheers mercer. I'm assuming you mean eBay Kleinanzeigen? 

11 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Cheers mercer. I'm assuming you mean eBay Kleinanzeigen? 

Well, I'm in the states, so I have seen a few over here. I know they're a little pricy but since you paid so little for the lens, it's worth it. All of those lubricants that have dried and breaking down will eventually effect the optics. 

4 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

The aperture blades on my old Carl Zeiss Jena 35mm lens are stuck wide open. Dang. Think there's a good Berlin living population on here, could anyone recommend a decent lens repair option? I was quoted 40/50 euros from a place close to Ostkreuz and was hoping for a cheaper option given the lens cost 70 euros.

Yep, same exact thing happened to mine, too. Better stuck wide-open than closed down, I guess. Apparently it is a pretty easy fix to open them up and repair though, though I have yet to do so, a quick google reveals lots of instructions. 

Continuing with something that occurred to me while I was comparing the Olympus 25mm to the Sigma 30mm, my next video will look at how you can add variety and interest, as well as distinguish your work from the mass of other YouTubers by not using a wide angle lens for vlogging, this time featuring the Olympus 75mm f/1.8, which, along with the Leica 12mm f/1.4, is my favorite lens in the u43 system.

What are good options for a fast, wide-normal (35-45mm FF equiv.) on mFT? Native lenses max out at f/1.7 with the 20mm and that doesn't cut it for DoF for photography imho. The Panasonic Leica 25mm 1.4 and 12mm 1.4 get the closest to what I can live with, just wish there was a focal length in between them.
I'm wondering what would be better, the Voigtländer 17.5mm f/0.95 or a Focal Reducer with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM Art? I guess the latter would have the advantage that if you go for EF mount you could use AF-S for photography. The disadvantage though that there is no fitting tele in the 85-100mm equiv. territory that will match it.

I'm really interested in the GH5 on a logical level but somehow I just can't get excited over it and the native lens options make it even worse.

4 hours ago, Phil A said:

What are good options for a fast, wide-normal (35-45mm FF equiv.) on mFT? Native lenses max out at f/1.7 with the 20mm and that doesn't cut it for DoF for photography imho. The Panasonic Leica 25mm 1.4 and 12mm 1.4 get the closest to what I can live with, just wish there was a focal length in between them.
I'm wondering what would be better, the Voigtländer 17.5mm f/0.95 or a Focal Reducer with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM Art? I guess the latter would have the advantage that if you go for EF mount you could use AF-S for photography. The disadvantage though that there is no fitting tele in the 85-100mm equiv. territory that will match it.

I'm really interested in the GH5 on a logical level but somehow I just can't get excited over it and the native lens options make it even worse.

FD 24 1.4 L and focal reducer?     Could match up with the FD 50 1.2 L?

1 hour ago, noone said:

Man I have been tempted to buy that 24mm FD for years. It seems like it's a legendary lens. Hell with a Turbo II speedbooster and a dumby adapter, you'd have two really nice focal lengths on the GH5. 

8 hours ago, Phil A said:

It's one of these "why am I like this?" moments. On the way home from work quickly bought a GH5 and a used Olympus 12-40mm. "No ragrets" :astonished:

4 hours ago, noone said:

Good point! Canon FD or Nikkor Ai-s are probably the way to go. I'll get a Zhongyi LensTurbo II for Canon EF next week for my Samyang lenses and I already have an F to EF adapter so maybe I'll go for the Nikkors, but the FD are so nice. Hard decision.

8 minutes ago, Phil A said:

It's one of these "why am I like this?" moments. On the way home from work quickly bought a GH5 and a used Olympus 12-40mm. "No ragrets" :astonished:

Good point! Canon FD or Nikkor Ai-s are probably the way to go. I'll get a Zhongyi LensTurbo II for Canon EF next week for my Samyang lenses and I already have an F to EF adapter so maybe I'll go for the Nikkors, but the FD are so nice. Hard decision.

If you do look at FD lenses just make sure there isn't an issue with dissolving bearings.

My 85 1.2 FD L has that  (dissolving bearings) so the focus ring is very loose.      My 24 1.4  doesn't have the issue.     I did have the 50 1.2 L and loved it but had to sell it.     I prefer to use them FF but do like them on M4/3.      I have to get an FD focal reducer though (only have  "dumb" EF and a very poor Nikon F focal reducer.

39 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I do the same thing, but I am fighting the desire to hit Buy it Now. I have almost bought a GH5 3 times this week. Let us know your preliminary thoughts. 

17 hours ago, Phil A said:

I didn't really want to join this conversation, but c'mon, the m43 system has the largest number of choices of any format when it comes to the availability of fast native or adapted lenses (collectively). 

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

I didn't really want to join this conversation, but c'mon, the m43 system has the largest number of choices of any format when it comes to the availability of fast native or adapted lenses (collectively). 

I think for you the choices are great but I don't shoot tele a lot and live in the 30-50mm equiv. range. With the DoF of m43 I don't think anything but f/1.4 does cut it (that's equiv. DoF to f/2.8 on FF and no one would consider that fancy). So yes, basically there's only the PanaLeica 25 1.4, Olympus 25 1.2 (so much about cropped sensor mirrorless being cheaper than FF DSLR) and the Voigtländers as native lenses, that's why I asked about opinions regarding good options for adapting. I realize that m43 is not ideal for my shooting tastes but I think I'll end up with an 24mm 1.4 / 28mm 1.8 and some 50mm on a focal reducer.

I've googled it quite a bit and I always think it's hilarious when people are asking for fast 35mm lenses for environmental shots with bokeh and are told to just shoot 100 or 150mm instead. 

16 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I think for you the choices are great but I don't shoot tele a lot and live in the 30-50mm equiv. range. With the DoF of m43 I don't think anything but f/1.4 does cut it (that's equiv. DoF to f/2.8 on FF and no one would consider that fancy). So yes, basically there's only the PanaLeica 25 1.4, Olympus 25 1.2 (so much about cropped sensor mirrorless being cheaper than FF DSLR) and the Voigtländers as native lenses, that's why I asked about opinions regarding good options for adapting. I realize that m43 is not ideal for my shooting tastes but I think I'll end up with an 24mm 1.4 / 28mm 1.8 and some 50mm on a focal reducer.

I've googled it quite a bit and I always think it's hilarious when people are asking for fast 35mm lenses for environmental shots with bokeh and are told to just shoot 100 or 150mm instead. 

I haven't seen those comments, but have to admit that's pretty ridiculous advice. The Voitlander 17.5 f/0.95 is the sharpest native lens as far as 35mm full-frame equivalent goes, and they also happen to be some of the most beautifully constructed lenses in any system. If you need AF, I think I recall Olympus is supposed to be releasing something in that focal length if I'm not mistaken. The Oly 25mm is way overpriced, if you can live with stepping back from your subject a few feet, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN is unparalleled. 

3 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Olympus looks amazing Jon...what a lens!...you are collecting an enviable selection of lenses!

The Olympus 75mm is the only m43 lens, aside from the Leica 12mm that I'm absolutely in awe of.