Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I wasn't the hugest fan of the early Leica stuff. Basically they were Lumix-vibe lenses with sort of a faint Leica hint. But boy, the more recent Leica primes, they look the part, they perform the part. Though... they cost the part. Lol. The 15mm f/1.7 is actually really affordable and super practical, that's something I really like, but the 42.5mm f/1.2 and 12mm f/1.4, argh, bro! I just don't know. Also love the Olympus PRO stuff, but... they are a little bit more on the clinical side, like a Scarlett Johansson cyborg bot, sexy is hell, but if you want some humanization, raw emotion, passion and character... dang, Leica's always been good for that decade after decade! :grin:

2 hours ago, Cinegain said:

I wasn't the hugest fan of the early Leica stuff. Basically they were Lumix-vibe lenses with sort of a faint Leica hint. But boy, the more recent Leica primes, they look the part, they perform the part. Though... they cost the part. Lol. The 15mm f/1.7 is actually really affordable and super practical, that's something I really like, but the 42.5mm f/1.2 and 12mm f/1.4, argh, bro! I just don't know. Also love the Olympus PRO stuff, but... they are a little bit more on the clinical side, like a Scarlett Johansson cyborg bot, sexy is hell, but if you want some humanization, raw emotion, passion and character... dang, Leica's always been good for that decade after decade! :grin:

After walking arround with the Summilux 15, I would buy the Summilux 12 in an instant as soon as we have something like the GX80/G85 mark II that allows the lossless ETC crop also in 4k. This, a mic-in and weathersealing for both lens and body seems like the almost perfect kit for hiking / backpacking / traveling whatsoever. The tools are nowadays incredible cheap for what they offer. Now imagine that Sony or Panasonic would integrate such a thing as the Techart Autofocus Adapter within their bodies... you might call that our heaven!

21 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@PannySVHS I leave those at default and expose for 105% zebras. The curve does weird stuff when you adjust those settings ! I rather the lens & filter take care of contrast and stuff optically ??

Hey Kidz, thanks for sharing your vids. Great examples of different colorsciences and your great practical approaches

throughout your camera owning history. All put into really cool use to film something cool. Great stuff, visually and color styles wise!

So, overexposing then with Portait profile? Btw, what are your preferred focal lengths? In S35 terms, speedboosterd m43 that is,

I really enjoyed 24mm and 28mm, loving the 40mm as well, due to my tokina 24-40 I guess:) Pretty much all of my early stuff I shot with my 28mm FD.

This is a repost, so sorry to all of you, who´ve seen it before, Panny G6, natural all -2 and graded with 28mm at f8. And variable shutter:)

Samples from my Tokina 24-48mm 2.8. I think it has a little optical flaw, like there was a light leak in the middle of the lens. This only shows, when contrast is hightened in post.

Otherwise, beautiful lens, for which I would estimate a TStop of around 3.3-3.8 across the zoom range. Measured it against an Oly XZ10 with its fixed lens starting at

f1.8. With focal reducer the Tokina becomes another stop brighter fortunately.

Screenshots from gx80 in 1080p 24p with IBIS + electronic stabi. GX80 in HD seems not up to the nice HD resolution of the older m43 Lumix cams like GH2,3,4 and G6.

Maybe it is caused by the additional electronic stabilization.

gx hd.JPG

gx hd2.JPG

gx hd4.JPG

16 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

What F stop were these shot at, all the same?? And it is the Only lens that does it??

Hallo, F stop was 2.8, all shots at the same Fstop. My sample might be faulty in the regard of the lightness in the middle of the frame. It´s a fun and beautiful lens for

s35 crop video. Also got a Tamron 20-40 waiting for its EF to Fmount adapter to put on my EF china booster:) And waiting for a Tokina 25-50 F4 and a Sigma 35 70 2.8-4

to arrive! I´m becoming a sucker for these small zooms. And I bought a beautiful Kiron 28 f2.0 in Contax mount, my 28mm F2.0 Zeiss substitute :) 

kiron.jpg

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Finally. The Olympus 25mm f/1.2 PRO vs. the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

What about wide open or from F1.2 to F1.8, is the Sigma just as sharp as the Olympus at 1.4 and what about vignetting ? The T-stop is 1.6 for Sigma vs Olympus 1.8 (in contrast the 250 bucks Sony FE 1.8 has the same 1.8 t-stop), but i guess it would be difficult for you to test that since the focal lenght is a bit different. 

I actually like the colours from Olympus more than the Sigma from your video, but i will get the Sigma if it's as sharp as Oly + it's actually a bit better in low light.

5 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I like the output:)

Hell , Maybe you are a odd duck LoL. Just kidding. OK it is interesting how about that! I guess we need to see the "Moving Pictures" as they say to pass judgement.  :grin: I, well, I think it is too soft for my liking. Looks a bit like, the old put Vaseline on the lens trick, back in the day. Women's Nylon Stockings work well also.

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

Finally. The Olympus 25mm f/1.2 PRO vs. the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

Nice work Jon. I can see the Olympus is a bit sharper, more natural coloring, but you are right, 900 bucks for a stop, little sharpness, I would have to give the nod to the Sigma for sure, unless money is no object.

But the stop better for low light, and the better DoF isolation is probably worth it. Two big failings of m4/3 helped by this one lens alone. DR, well that is another problem on it's own. :grin:

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Hell , Maybe you are a odd duck LoL. Just kidding. OK it is interesting how about that! I guess we need to see the "Moving Pictures" as they say to pass judgement.  :grin: I, well, I think it is too soft for my liking. Looks a bit like, the old put Vaseline on the lens trick, back in the day. Women's Nylon Stockings work well also.

Softness is from the HD processing of the GX85, which is not close to Lumix G6 HD quality, which was pretty awesome :)

6 hours ago, Fatalfury said:

What about wide open or from F1.2 to F1.8, is the Sigma just as sharp as the Olympus at 1.4 and what about vignetting ? The T-stop is 1.6 for Sigma vs Olympus 1.8 (in contrast the 250 bucks Sony FE 1.8 has the same 1.8 t-stop), but i guess it would be difficult for you to test that since the focal lenght is a bit different. 

I actually like the colours from Olympus more than the Sigma from your video, but i will get the Sigma if it's as sharp as Oly + it's actually a bit better in low light.

I will have to do some more tests from f/1.4- f/1.8. Also, a few with LED lights to see how their color compares. It's definitely not a scientific comparison, I was mostly interested in how the lenses performed for the way I normally shoot.

13 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I will have to do some more tests from f/1.4- f/1.8. Also, a few with LED lights to see how their color compares. It's definitely not a scientific comparison, I was mostly interested in how the lenses performed for the way I normally shoot.

In my experience the Zuiko 25mm F1.2 was a bit soft when the focus was far (in case of full body portraits) but otherwise it was very sharp with pleasing soft micro contrast that is especially useful for portraits. If you have the time, it could be very helpful if you could post two full body or close to full body portait photos with both lenses wide open. 

The aperture blades on my old Carl Zeiss Jena 35mm lens are stuck wide open. Dang. Think there's a good Berlin living population on here, could anyone recommend a decent lens repair option? I was quoted 40/50 euros from a place close to Ostkreuz and was hoping for a cheaper option given the lens cost 70 euros.