Lenses

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Probably my next lens to pick up. Leica 35-70 F4. Great look and seems to have almost no focus breathing.

The Leica R 35-70mm is actually a rebadge of the Minolta MD version, which goes for like $80 these days (compared to $300-400 for the Leica R version). I use it alongside my Leica R primes with no problem whatsoever.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

2 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

The Leica R 35-70mm is actually a rebadge of the Minolta MD version, which goes for like $80 these days (compared to $300-400 for the Leica R version). I use it alongside my Leica R primes with no problem whatsoever.

The 35-70 3.5 is the Minolta copy. The 35-70 F4 is a Leica designed lens. But it's good to know the 3.5  matches the rest of the R line!

23 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

The 35-70 3.5 is the Minolta copy. The 35-70 F4 is a Leica designed lens. But it's good to know the 3.5  matches the rest of the R line!

I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. The 35-70, 24mm Elmarit, and 16mm Elmarit were all Minolta Rokkor designs licensed by Leica and built to their QC standards.

Nonetheless, the coatings are similar enough that they match without much fuss. Minolta famously worked hard to mimic the Leica look, hence the nickname "baby Leicas."

Just now, Inazuma said:

@jonpais eta?

ha. I wasn't satisfied with what I'd shot, so I've been shooting more. You already know I don't respect lens reviewers who only have three pictures to show - one of ducks, one of some tree branches, and one cat. I'll try to finish it up this evening.

10 minutes ago, jonpais said:

ha. I wasn't satisfied with what I'd shot, so I've been shooting more. You already know I don't respect lens reviewers who only have three pictures to show - one of ducks, one of some tree branches, and one cat. I'll try to finish it up this evening.

I will keep that in mind for my next review :)

Just now, Inazuma said:

I will keep that in mind for my next review :)

The problems I ran into were (1) I began shooting at a lower ISO, and I realized that since I was getting up close to my subjects, there wasn't enough depth of field, (2) I'd been overexposing my shots, and (3) I shake a lot, and even the gimbal couldn't help me. So I raised the ISO to 800, shot at between f/4-5.6, I learned to be sneakier so I didn't shake as much when the subjects would look directly into the lens, and I trusted the LCD.

27 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The problems I ran into were (1) I began shooting at a lower ISO, and I realized that since I was getting up close to my subjects, there wasn't enough depth of field, (2) I'd been overexposing my shots, and (3) I shake a lot, and even the gimbal couldn't help me. So I raised the ISO to 800, shot at between f/4-5.6, I learned to be sneakier so I didn't shake as much when the subjects would look directly into the lens, and I trusted the LCD.

I see. Could you not shoot people with their permission under the guise of street portraiture? 

@jonpais Veeery nice! The camera and lens brings out all the subtle colours and tonalities of people's faces from different ethnic groups whilst the clean 4k images makes me feel like I'm there. If I ever filmed something narrative though I think I would definitely put a Tiffen filter in front. 

What did you use to stabilise the camera and what ND filter?

1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

@jonpais Veeery nice! The camera and lens brings out all the subtle colours and tonalities of people's faces from different ethnic groups whilst the clean 4k images makes me feel like I'm there. If I ever filmed something narrative though I think I would definitely put a Tiffen filter in front. 

What did you use to stabilise the camera and what ND filter?

Thanks. I used the Zhiyun Crane. No ND filter. All natural light, ISO 800, f/4-f/5.6. 

19 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

Re-bought the Canon nFD 24mm 2.8 and 35-105mm 3.5 Zoom. I forgot how much I loved these lenses.

Hallo Matt!

Still love my FD 28mm 2.8. Great, light and nice to touch and to focus. It is awesome on boosted m43, very nice wide open.

Maybe one of the best lenses smallest money can buy. Please keep on showing your regained love for these nice FD lenses

and keep us posted with your footage using these. Really interested to see some footage of the 35-105 from you.

Still shooting that beautiful BMPCC of yours?

Oh yeah, just bought my Tokina 24- 40mm 2.8:) Beautiful lens on m43 with focal reducer!

7 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Hallo Matt!

Still love my FD 28mm 2.8. Great, light and nice to touch and to focus. It is awesome on boosted m43, very nice wide open.

Maybe one of the best lenses smallest money can buy. Please keep on showing your regained love for these nice FD lenses

and keep us posted with your footage using these. Really interested to see some footage of the 35-105 from you.

Still shooting that beautiful BMPCC of yours?

I still have the BMPCC, did some b-roll shooting with it and the FD 24mm today. I might post grabs tonight or tomorrow. I also have a Sony a6000 coming tomorrow, which is mainly why I got the FDs--to have some nice sharp vintage lenses for APS-C.

On 9.4.2017 at 2:09 AM, Matt Kieley said:

Shot this with the Sony a6000 and Canon FD 24mm 2.8 (at f/4). I don't even have my FD-E mount adapter, so I just attached it to my MFT adapter and held it against the camera body. I love this combination so far.

Hey Matt! Lookin good! Is the FD 24mm as good wide open as the 28mm 2.8? I would assume so. A6000 looks like a nice little HD cam for the

cheap FF look with a focal reducer. Does the A6000 offer the 50mbit codec after a firmware update?

14 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey Matt! Lookin good! Is the FD 24mm as good wide open as the 28mm 2.8? I would assume so. A6000 looks like a nice little HD cam for the

cheap FF look with a focal reducer. Does the A6000 offer the 50mbit codec after a firmware update?

Thanks! I don't have the 28mm anymore, so I don't know. I recall it being very sharp as well. I love this camera so far. I'm shooting a short film tomorrow to put it to the test.  Yes, my video was shot in XAVC-S 50Mbit. I believe that was added in a firmware update a couple years ago. It was already on the camera I bought, no update necessary. From the little tests I've done it feels like a good codec so far.

This evening, I'll be uploading a comparison between the Olympus 25mm f/1.2 and Leica 12mm f/1.4 on the Lumix G85. I'm not really expecting the Olympus to be able to keep up, I've been so impressed with the sharpness of the Leica and its 3D pop. Anyhow, we'll see soon enough...