Lenses

Andrew Reid

I have a quick question about the nikon ED AF 80-200 2.8 push/pull lens. I'm looking for a good zoom in this range and can either get the push/pull a very cheap price or the 80-200 2.8d version at nearly three times the cost. So just wondering if anyone have any experience with the push/pull vs the D version. Is the extra money worth it? I'll be using the lens on a sony F3.  Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Amook said:

I have a quick question about the nikon ED AF 80-200 2.8 push/pull lens. I'm looking for a good zoom in this range and can either get the push/pull a very cheap price or the 80-200 2.8d version at nearly three times the cost. So just wondering if anyone have any experience with the push/pull vs the D version. Is the extra money worth it? I'll be using the lens on a sony F3.  Thanks

The only real negative was that it was a vacuum pump for dust. It can be in really dusty situations. But the later one that you twist people say it takes a longer time to zoom. So Canon can't win. Also there was lens creep on the older one as they got older.

I would say the newer one is probably better, had both, but really not worth 3 times more better that is for sure. Tripod use lens creep should never be a problem. The newer one does not extend if my memory holds, where the older one does a lot. So if you are using a Matte Box that Could be a problem.

I'll be picking up the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 this evening, hopefully post a video sometime next week if I don't run out of inspiration. It's supposed to be one of the better tele lenses in the u4/3 system. I've finally put a project shooting Fuji's Acros film simulation to rest, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to edit it, since all I know of transitions is making cuts, and since watching Brandon Li's work, I feel like it's going to be boring as all hell. 

Edit: I just picked up the lens, it's super tiny, so, unlike the Nocticron, should be great on a gimbal.

Edit Ii: Pretty stingy of Olympus not to include a hood for a lens costing upwards of $900.00 USD. Went shooting with it this morning, it's all that and a bag of chips. Right up there with the very best. Now that I've got my Sigma 30mm f/1.4, the Leica 42.5mm and a 75mm, I just need to decide which 12mm to get before I sell off my two Panasonic G X Vario f/2.8 zooms. I still haven't seen any videos of people shot with the Leica 12mm, there's very little on YouTube shot with this lens at all. Rumor has it Olympus may be releasing another f/1.2 lens, but I doubt it will be a 12mm. I've decided I don't want a manual prime, I need autofocus for fast changing stuff, especially when shooting wide open.

On 2/7/2017 at 6:44 PM, jonpais said:

Here's a quick and dirty field test of the insanely good Olympus Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 lens for micro four thirds, shot on the Lumix G85.

Music by Eric Matyas

www.soundimage.org

Nice lens, very intimate feel / look I thought. Colours looked great. What stop were you at ? (Olympus are apparently good at not supplying lens hoods with some lenses btw) 

Have you tried any slowmo with the new lens ?

Edit. Also noticed that crew commited a cardinal sin regarding the mic!

Just now, Stanley said:

Nice lens, very intimate feel / look I thought. Colours looked great. What stop were you at ? (Olympus are apparently good at not supplying lens hoods with some lenses btw) 

Thanks, Stanley. Either Panasonic has improved their color science, or I'm just getting better at white balance. :) I just had a Hoya UV filter on the lens, but most of the shots were probably at around f/3.5 or thereabouts, some a little wider. The couple were sitting in bright light, I didn't have a chance to think, so that was shot at f/8. If I had time, I would have upped the shutter speed. I haven't shot slo mo in ages, but I'd like to start using it again. It might help break up the monotony a bit. :) 

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

Edit. Also noticed that crew commited a cardinal sin regarding the mic!

You mean when they handed the mic over to the interviewees? :) 

My question relates to a setup: Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 with a Lens Tubro II or Speed Booster ULTRA on GH4 body:

As far as I know there shouldn't be any vignetting with GH4 + Speed booster ULTRA @1080. Would adding a 77 mm slim filter itroduce vignetting? Do I need to add step-up ring to use filters with this setup?

For example a protective filter like B+W 77mm 007

21 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow that has a very nice look to it! Jesus I have camera, lens lust.

Thanks, it's for a horror short that I filmed more that a month ago that I'm just now getting a chance to grade. My jaw is constantly on the floor with the image quality.

On 2/2/2017 at 0:05 AM, jonpais said:

I like your taste in music. :) 

Thanks!

So I bought a Cosmicar 12.5mm f/1.9 c-mount lens. I previously owned the f/1.8 version of the lens. It was a pain in the ass to modify, filing down the the back edges to sit closer to the sensor. It looked nice at around f/4, it was tiny and kind of impractical. I had no idea this f/1.9 version worked without modification. and is actually pretty sharp (obviously not as sharp as more expensive modern lenses) wide open. It's also made of metal, it's larger, it doesn't look as goofy with a follow focus on it, and it feel more practical just using it today. I really love the look of it. I'm actually thinking of selling of all of my lenses except this one, my Rokinon 12mm, and my Fujinon zoom. All of these grabs are at f/1.9. I'll probably do a better lit/staged test this weekend. I also don't have the IR cut to fit my c-mount lenses yet, so excuse any muddiness.

cosmicar12.5f1.9_1.jpg

cosmicar12.5f1.9_5.jpg

cosmicar12.5f1.9_7.jpg

cosmicar12.5f1.9_8.jpg

cosmicar12.5f1.9_9.jpg

5 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

Thanks!

So I bought a Cosmicar 12.5mm f/1.9 c-mount lens. I previously owned the f/1.8 version of the lens. It was a pain in the ass to modify, filing down the the back edges to sit closer to the sensor. It looked nice at around f/4, it was tiny and kind of impractical. I had no idea this f/1.9 version worked without modification. and is actually pretty sharp (obviously not as sharp as more expensive modern lenses) wide open. It's also made of metal, it's larger, it doesn't look as goofy with a follow focus on it, and it feel more practical just using it today. I really love the look of it. I'm actually thinking of selling of all of my lenses except this one, my Rokinon 12mm, and my Fujinon zoom. All of these grabs are at f/1.9. I'll probably do a better lit/staged test this weekend. I also don't have the IR cut to fit my c-mount lenses yet, so excuse any muddiness.

cosmicar12.5f1.9_1.jpg

cosmicar12.5f1.9_5.jpg

cosmicar12.5f1.9_7.jpg

cosmicar12.5f1.9_8.jpg

cosmicar12.5f1.9_9.jpg

Looks great! I have that lens and the whole set of 1.9 Cosmicars... they're definitely some of my favorite lenses. Was this Raw or Prores?

I shot this with it on the BMMCC wide open...

IMG_0688.JPG

And these are with the 25mm on the G7...

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG