Lenses

Andrew Reid

10 hours ago, Cinegain said:

XMcNykS.jpg

~ http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/renderings-amazin-aps-c-e-mount-lens-range-narek-avetisyan/

I've been giving Sony a bit of a hard time. I always say 'the thing that makes a system compact, is the lenses'. It's not so much about a small camera body. And they've been neglecting APS-C for far too long. This would be a hell of a comeback from that. Geepers creepers. Now they just need a body to deserve that kind of lens investment, because I bet they ain't going to go cheaply. But Panasonic and Olympus have started doing this. Just... with the 4/3" sensor, you really need that kind of extra squeeze performance. Sony has kinda been messy with their APS-C cameras. If they could bring a reliable camera, with no overheating, negligible rolling shutter, much like an Olympus E-M1 Mark II. Then man... I have something to consider here. Just when I thought they were out of moves.

-- oh, lol, it's not a move, it's a feature request by a creative user. Well. :sweat_smile:

@Cinegain This is pure fantasy, isn't it? And isn't the G-line notoriously expensive? If I owned a Sony APS-C camera, I'd rather wish for Sigma to continue what they began with the 30mm f/1.4 - affordable lenses with superior optical quality. Also, is there really a need for such fast, heavy instruments, especially since Sony cameras are famous for their low light performance? These would be huge on an a6500. Wouldn't a full lineup of compact f/2 primes and a couple of f/2.8 zooms be more than sufficient?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
46 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@Cinegain This is pure fantasy, isn't it? And isn't the G-line notoriously expensive? If I owned a Sony APS-C camera, I'd rather wish for Sigma to continue what they began with the 30mm f/1.4 - affordable lenses with superior optical quality. Also, is there really a need for such fast, heavy instruments, especially since Sony cameras are famous for their low light performance? These would be huge on an a6500. Wouldn't a full lineup of compact f/2 primes and a couple of f/2.8 zooms be more than sufficient?

Well, it's kinda where Panasonic and Olympus are going too with their fast and professional Leica and PRO series that run 1000+. So, it would be plausible. But yeah, it's fantasy. At first glance I just thought 'oh, this is a leak? Someone found an image they shouldn't have?' as it was posted on a rumor site. But actually following the source, it's really just a brainchild of someone with high hopes for Sony, that went into Photoshop and started getting funky. That's not going to happen. But seriously though, if they did, I might be into that. Although there's a doubt that they'll ever make a proper camera body deserving of that kind of lens investment. But the improvement from M43 to APS-C is quite significant. I don't need fullframe and with finally a proper APS-C line-up for the Sony, they'd finally have a system that challenges fullframe, but doing it being compact and challenging other brands. Agreed that Sigma is on the right track. They're still developing their own camera bodies, although I'm not sure who buys them. Maybe they have a move left of their own. Oh well, it's fun to daydream sometimes. :grimace:

12 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Well, it's kinda where Panasonic and Olympus are going too with their fast and professional Leica and PRO series that run 1000+. So, it would be plausible. But yeah, it's fantasy. At first glance I just thought 'oh, this is a leak? Someone found an image they shouldn't have?' as it was posted on a rumor site. But actually following the source, it's really just a brainchild of someone with high hopes for Sony, that went into Photoshop and started getting funky. That's not going to happen. But seriously though, if they did, I might be into that. Although there's a doubt that they'll ever make a proper camera body deserving of that kind of lens investment. But the improvement from M43 to APS-C is quite significant. I don't need fullframe and with finally a proper APS-C line-up for the Sony, they'd finally have a system that challenges fullframe, but doing it being compact and challenging other brands. Agreed that Sigma is on the right track. They're still developing their own camera bodies, although I'm not sure who buys them. Maybe they have a move left of their own. Oh well, it's fun to daydream sometimes. :grimace:

I'm going to second that emotion - I haven't switched or anything, I still use both formats, but APS-C is amazing. What about using Sigma's MC-11adapter and calling it a day? I use Sigmas with a Metabones on my Panasonic cameras - as close to f/1 as you can get - and the quality is out of this world.

Do you lose speed with the MC-11?

7 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I'm going to second that emotion - I haven't switched or anything, I still use both formats, but APS-C is amazing. What about using Sigma's MC-11adapter and calling it a day? I use Sigmas with a Metabones on my Panasonic cameras - as close to f/1 as you can get - and the quality is out of this world.

Yeah, I'd like a Olympus E-M1 Mark II body, with Sony APS-C sensor performance, Fujifilm processing and compact solid Sigma lenses native to the mount in relation to sensor size. Everybody's pretty good at their own thing. Nobody really nails it all. I guess that's how they survive. Keep people wanting for more...

1 hour ago, BrorSvensson said:

Has anyone on here used any of these lenses?

Tokina SD 28-70 f3.5-45

Tokina rmc 28-70 f4

Tokina rmc 28-85 f4

If so i would love to hear what you think!

I had the RMC 28-70mm... there may also be a constant f/3.5 version of that lens floating around. Anyway, I liked it. It has that cool Tokina low contrast look. It's built well like most Tokina lenses. I think Andy Lee posted some samples from it about 15 or 20 pages back. I also have the 25-50mm RMC which is a cool little lens as well. 

Have the RMC 28-85mm f/4 here. I can concur, it's a lovely low contrast optic.

It was an Andy Lee recommendation, look back in this topic and find his name, whatever he says is gold! Too bad he doesn't seem to be around here much these days. Sharing his infinite wisdom and talent with us mere mortals like he did here: 

16 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Have the RMC 28-85mm f/4 here. I can concur, it's a lovely low contrast optic.

It was an Andy Lee recommendation, look back in this topic and find his name, whatever he says is gold! Too bad he doesn't seem to be around here much these days. Sharing his infinite wisdom and talent with us mere mortals like he did here: 

You would be the best ever if i could maybe some picture samples from that lens!

40 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

You would be the best ever if i could maybe some picture samples from that lens!

Andy's samples are pretty good, will they not work for you? Also just so you know, that lens should be easily found in good condition for 50 USD or less. 

I have dozens of lenses and don't really keep track what's shot with what, don't believe I've used it all that much... it's not the lenses' fault, it's just that I usually prefer to shoot at f/2.8 or faster and when a need for low contrast, there's still the Tiffen Ultra Contrast 3 or Smoque 1. I also just really like primes, because of the size and the optimized quality for the focal length. Also, having a set with same character keeps things matched in a multicam shoot, using two different focal lengths. Although for convenience sake, leaving a zoom on a rig when mounted, the Nikon 28-70mm & 80-200mm f/2.8 D boosted is a combination hard to beat. I do also like the f/2.8-ish Tokina zooms (11-16, 28-70 (2.6-2.8), 50-135), but the low contrast and f/4 is really something that just needs to fit the project, which I guess has yet to happen. Incl. shipping I believe these should turn out around 70-79 EUR. Not much home these days, but I'll see if I can squeeze in taking a couple of samples on friday. ;)

6 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Just a heads-up, I'll be posting another Sigma Art 50mm f/1.4 vs. Leica Nocticron field test sometime tomorrow if anyone's interested

I saw your first one, which was great. Wouldn't mind a bit of a bokeh comparison wide open whereby you have a model with the same background and show a side by side split screen. At night with lights in the background would be even better :)

Just now, Davey said:

I saw your first one, which was great. Wouldn't mind a bit of a bokeh comparison wide open whereby you have a model with the same background and show a side by side split screen. At night with lights in the background would be even better :)

That would be awesome! I seldom go out after dark, but I'll see what I can do. At the moment, I'm working on a small project which I'll call 'motorists', which is just faces of people on their motorbikes on the side of the road, mostly at f/5.6 and under. Maybe I can give my 'model' a ring and go to the park and shoot some low light video another day...

22 minutes ago, jonpais said:

That would be awesome! I seldom go out after dark, but I'll see what I can do. At the moment, I'm working on a small project which I'll call 'motorists', which is just faces of people on their motorbikes on the side of the road, mostly at f/5.6 and under. Maybe I can give my 'model' a ring and go to the park and shoot some low light video another day...

Yeah, I was thinking about safety when I was posting that. Maybe a quiet bar indoors during a reasonable hour with optics in the background. I've shot 55mm at 1.8 in a bar on my A7sii (video plus B&W photos) and all that glass and small LEDs in the background look fabulous with all the subtle reflections.

2 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I think the Leica killed it. It's like a hug VS handshake. The Leica really 'grabs' the subject. Don't know how else to say it.

I think you expressed yourself quite well. I have to say, I wasn't expecting a slaughter. But keep in mind, this isn't a scientific test. Maybe my focus was off (but there's no way it could have been off for every shot), maybe my adapter needs adjusting, who knows?