Lenses

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Whilst we're talking about long lenses, I'm wondering how the 100-300 would behave on the G80 with stabilisation turned on, especially if you had it on a head.

I love this lens and I have OIS switched on most of the time, but it can bite you on the arse sometimes, but most of the time it works great with ois on.

I threw a few clips together to show a mate a while back . Think the 1st clip is on ETS also.

You don't leave IOS on when the camera is mounted on a tripod, do you?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, jonpais said:

You don't leave IOS on when the camera is mounted on a tripod, do you?

When shooting at 300mm (600mm eq:) on a head like the Manfrotto 502 I used to, but I've now got an old Miller head and so I dont need it on with a good head. Some times I forget it's on until it bites me.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anybody shooting with a Nikkor 85mm. Coming from a crop camera I had shot a 50mm 1.4 Canon pretty much straight for 4 years. Recently had the chance to use a 85mm 1.8G on my d750. After the first 5 min I knew what I have been missing the last 8 month or so after my upgrade. The way this slight tele frames when sitting with people oh I just love it.

Maybe somebody has some first hand knowledge on some of the 85's of Nikon. As I am not so font of plastic I am levitating towards the 85mm 1.4D because it will probaly last me a lifetime and AF is something I need in day to day photo stuff. I have a new G lens and its great but I don't trust it a bit longevity wise...

Have been testing a lot of cameras the past month for an upcoming project I have been pre producing. My latest test was with the FZ2500 and although I really like the camera and the high bitrate all-I 1080p, I find the hybrid 5-axis to be questionable at best and for the price, the camera just isn't worth it... so the search continued until the other night when I found a great price for an open box GH4 at Samy's. I know with all of the excitement over the GH5 release, buying a GH4 now may seem silly. But I only have so much in my budget. Anyway, the nature of my project requires handheld video, and at most monopod work, so I am wondering how the 12-35mm 2.8 with OIS is handheld and also if anyone used the 30mm f/2.8 macro with OIS and how steady that lens is... and if it's visually any good?

16 hours ago, mercer said:

Have been testing a lot of cameras the past month for an upcoming project I have been pre producing. My latest test was with the FZ2500 and although I really like the camera and the high bitrate all-I 1080p, I find the hybrid 5-axis to be questionable at best and for the price, the camera just isn't worth it... so the search continued until the other night when I found a great price for an open box GH4 at Samy's. I know with all of the excitement over the GH5 release, buying a GH4 now may seem silly. But I only have so much in my budget. Anyway, the nature of my project requires handheld video, and at most monopod work, so I am wondering how the 12-35mm 2.8 with OIS is handheld and also if anyone used the 30mm f/2.8 macro with OIS and how steady that lens is... and if it's visually any good?

What focal lenghts are you planning to shoot and do you want to stand still, pan up/down/sideways or walk? 

I was out with the GX85 and that lens a few days ago and shot some standing scenes mostly at 12mm and some at 25mm-35m ish. But that camera has dual IS so I'm not sure if it's a good reference though. 

I'm borrowing a GH3 at the moment and can shoot something for you if you like, but only in 1080P ;) 

Why not the G85 with dual IS 2? GH4 1080p 200mbps? 

Haven't used the 30mm.

1 hour ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

What focal lenghts are you planning to shoot and do you want to stand still, pan up/down/sideways or walk? 

I was out with the GX85 and that lens a few days ago and shot some standing scenes mostly at 12mm and some at 25mm-35m ish. But that camera has dual IS so I'm not sure if it's a good reference though. 

I'm borrowing a GH3 at the moment and can shoot something for you if you like, but only in 1080P ;) 

Why not the G85 with dual IS 2? GH4 1080p 200mbps? 

Haven't used the 30mm.

Thanks Fredrik! A test on the GH3 would be great if you have the time. For this particular project I am working on I will be using the full zoom range as it will be more about framing and composition based upon my location to the subject. I will mostly be standing still but maybe a slight drift back and forth but it depends on how well the OIS does.

I really thought about the G80/85, but I find the high bitrate 1080 at 24p and 60p to be such a thick image, but specifically the slow motion of 60p and the ability to use shutter angle instead of shutter speed will really help me keep everything straight with the run and gun nature of the project. And although I will be recording double sound, I'd like to try and get some usable ambient tracks in camera and the headphone input will really help sort that out. 

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Thanks Fredrik! A test on the GH3 would be great if you have the time. For this particular project I am working on I will be using the full zoom range as it will be more about framing and composition based upon my location to the subject. I will mostly be standing still but maybe a slight drift back and forth but it depends on how well the OIS does.

I really thought about the G80/85, but I find the high bitrate 1080 at 24p and 60p to be such a thick image, but specifically the slow motion of 60p and the ability to use shutter angle instead of shutter speed will really help me keep everything straight with the run and gun nature of the project. And although I will be recording double sound, I'd like to try and get some usable ambient tracks in camera and the headphone input will really help sort that out. 

Sure thing! Will be fun to go out and shoot a little! It's getting dark here really fast but I will see if I can get it done by tomorrow.

I see what you're saying about the GH4, I guess you've already seen Noam Kroll's 1080p 60p shoot on the beach? It still looks really good! And your reasons for not buying the G85 is actually some of the same reasons I will be getting the GH5 over the G85. The G line is really good now, but I just love the handling, size and controls of the GH cameras, + high bitrate 1080p, slow motion, headphone jack, battery life etc. 

6 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Sure thing! Will be fun to go out and shoot a little! It's getting dark here really fast but I will see if I can get it done by tomorrow.

I see what you're saying about the GH4, I guess you've already seen Noam Kroll's 1080p 60p shoot on the beach? It still looks really good! And your reasons for not buying the G85 is actually some of the same reasons I will be getting the GH5 over the G85. The G line is really good now, but I just love the handling, size and controls of the GH cameras, + high bitrate 1080p, slow motion, headphone jack, battery life etc. 

If the GH5 was shipping now, I would seriously sell off a lot of lenses to buy it. I love IBIS, but by the time it ships I should be about done, so the GH4 it is. Yeah that Noam Kroll beach video is what sold me on the 200mbps 1080p. The All-I seems to handle motion just a tad better than IPB and since I am working on a crime thriller, that motion is really important. Thanks for helping me out with the test. Btw, I usually shoot handheld with the strap method (keeping it taut and my elbows pressed to my sides) If you have a strap for the test, that would be great. 

22 minutes ago, mercer said:

If the GH5 was shipping now, I would seriously sell off a lot of lenses to buy it. I love IBIS, but by the time it ships I should be about done, so the GH4 it is. Yeah that Noam Kroll beach video is what sold me on the 200mbps 1080p. The All-I seems to handle motion just a tad better than IPB and since I am working on a crime thriller, that motion is really important. Thanks for helping me out with the test. Btw, I usually shoot handheld with the strap method (keeping it taut and my elbows pressed to my sides) If you have a strap for the test, that would be great. 

Found a strap and I will do my best to make it as stable as possible :) 

On 4.1.2017 at 9:53 PM, mercer said:

Seriously, thank you very much!!!

My GH4 comes in at the end of the week but I get really busy with my day job, so I won't have a ton of time for lens tests... this really saves me!

Congrats on a new camera! First one this year? ;) 

I went out to shoot some quick tests today and here is the result. It's nothing special really but hopefully it can help you a little with your decision. I would rate my hand held skills around average so it's probably possible to get better results than this. 

Comparing it to my older videos with the GX85 and a 25mm I would say it's not as smooth. There's is some micro shakes going on from time to time. Panning is very difficult I think, but easier with a gorillapod. Tripod shots are ok through the whole zoom range though and pretty good with post stabilization. The duck tracking is with 35mm btw. Anyways, I would stabilize in post using this lens.

I made two versions, one with just OIS and one with auto stabilization in FCPX. If I remember correctly you use Lock & Load and that is probably even better. 

Checkin in tomorrow if you have any more questions, good night!

5 hours ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Congrats on a new camera! First one this year? ;) 

I went out to shoot some quick tests today and here is the result. It's nothing special really but hopefully it can help you a little with your decision. I would rate my hand held skills around average so it's probably possible to get better results than this. 

Comparing it to my older videos with the GX85 and a 25mm I would say it's not as smooth. There's is some micro shakes going on from time to time. Panning is very difficult I think, but easier with a gorillapod. Tripod shots are ok through the whole zoom range though and pretty good with post stabilization. The duck tracking is with 35mm btw. Anyways, I would stabilize in post using this lens.

I made two versions, one with just OIS and one with auto stabilization in FCPX. If I remember correctly you use Lock & Load and that is probably even better. 

Checkin in tomorrow if you have any more questions, good night!

Fredrik, that is perfect and it looks great! Thanks, man!!! I watched the handheld one first and thought... yeah that's perfectly usable and then the FCPX stabilized version is as if it was shot on a tripod. It looks like I'll definitely be able to go handheld. And yeah, it's my first camera of '17. Now I just need to pick up the Pocket cam next month and I'll be done!!! Hopefully. Lol. 

Purchased a Rokinon 24mm Cine Prime...don't know if I'm keeping it, not very satisfied with the look and it looses a ton of micro-contrast below T.3. Wanted to build a low light kit to offset my voigtlanders, any other options anyone can recommend for lenses in the sun $1200 range?

2 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Purchased a Rokinon 24mm Cine Prime...don't know if I'm keeping it, not very satisfied with the look and it looses a ton of micro-contrast below T.3. Wanted to build a low light kit to offset my voigtlanders, any other options anyone can recommend for lenses in the sun $1200 range?

The Veydra lenses are supposed to be real nice. 

I think Noam Kroll may have done a comparison with the Veydra vs the  Rokinon lenses... and I think the Veydra lenses won handily. I am also intrigued by the Tokina Cine 11-16mm. It's supposed to be completely parfocal and built like a tank. 

20 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Sets that are ~$1200, or just for the single wide angle?