Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

One of the lenses I love shooting the most with is a tokina 28-70 2.8, however it's sometimes hard to use it on "comercial" shoots because of the loss of contrast when pointed into the light source. I love it for the vibe but since the shots must be intercut with eng cameras it's ofter displeasing. I use a matte box when I can, but sometimes I just can't. Bh773 it the lens hood for it as far as I can tell, but I cannot find it locally nor have I had much luck with ebay etc. Is the an aftermarket hood I can use or is there maybe a filter that would help? 

On 11/13/2016 at 4:28 PM, jagnje said:

One of the lenses I love shooting the most with is a tokina 28-70 2.8, however it's sometimes hard to use it on "comercial" shoots because of the loss of contrast when pointed into the light source. I love it for the vibe but since the shots must be intercut with eng cameras it's ofter displeasing. I use a matte box when I can, but sometimes I just can't. Bh773 it the lens hood for it as far as I can tell, but I cannot find it locally nor have I had much luck with ebay etc. Is the an aftermarket hood I can use or is there maybe a filter that would help? 

I have the lens and it is great when you want that soft cinema look, but it is terrible with light sources in the frame. Good for commercial work it is not.

Wanted to show everyone this. Recorded a interview entirely with a Voigtlander 40mm and SLR Magic Anamorphot. Think at least visually it turned out well, used stabilization a bit to excessively.

One reader took offense at my harsh comments about the seriously overpriced, underperforming PanLeica 100-400mm zoom lens, saying I'd never even held one in my hands. But Chris Niccolls has, and if you fast forward to around 10.18 in his review (link below) of the Lumix GX80/85, you can hear his assessment of the build quality. Apart from the unremarkable optical performance and the rough zoom construction, the OIS for a lens this pricey is barely 2.5 EV - an instrument this expensive could be expected to achieve at least 4 EV stabilization - particularly when, at its long end, it is the equivalent of an 800mm lens on full frame. Mirror Lessons have also posted nature and sports shots made with the lens, which I have watched. My apologies to anyone I may have offended.

Here is the link to Chris Niccolls' look at the zoom. https://youtu.be/nuVtIPUSVKo

33 minutes ago, jonpais said:

One reader took offense at my harsh comments about the seriously overpriced, underperforming PanLeica 100-400mm zoom lens, saying I'd never even held one in my hands. But Chris Niccolls has, and if you fast forward to around 10.18 in his review (link at bottom) of the Lumix GX80/85, you can hear his assessment of the build quality. Apart from the unremarkable optical performance and the rough zoom construction, the OIS for a lens this pricey is barely 2.5 EV - an instrument this expensive could be expected to achieve at least 4 EV stabilization - particularly when, at its long end, it is the equivalent of an 800mm lens on full frame. Mirror Lessons have also posted nature and sports shots made with the lens, which I have watched. My apologies to anyone I may have offended.

Here is the link to Chris Niccolls' look at the zoom. https://youtu.be/nuVtIPUSVKo

I think it is a wonderful lens and absolutely worth its money.

@Cary Knoop I'm glad you're enjoying your purchase. The overwhelming majority of buyers who left comments over at B&H also felt that the PanLeica 100-400mm f/4-6.3 was exceptional. But is it really? Several users confirmed that, mechanically at least, the lens leaves much to be desired.  And a few either exchanged or returned their lens because of the zoom mechanism, not something you'd expect from a product designed by Leica.

This lens, after having used it on a wildlife shooting trip to South Africa and Botswana for two months on a Panasonic GH 4 body for video and stills, was disappointing my expectations and sometimes even frustrating. Although I would rate the optical rendition as good to very good in the 100 - 300 mm range, handling and performance in the field on a GH4 body isn't more than mediocre, to say the least. The greatest flaw in mechanical design: You can turn the lens barrel from horizontal to vertical 90 degrees counterclockwise only. It's above me what the Pana/Leica lens designers had in mind with this limitation - certainly not the usability of this lens in the field. That's a ZERO! - Roland

Optically this lens exceeds my expectations; which is why I give it 5 stars. However some of the design features I question. 1. The lock and unlock switch really doesn't work that well and it's confusing when your locked or unlocked. 2. Has anyone used this lens in winter? Try grasping the lens hood knob; tiny is not the word for it. 3. Others have talked about the space between tripod mount and lens; you have to adapt to turning the lens from the top. 4. Again know issue, of stiff barrel. Overall this is a great lens with some weak design features. I bought this for my EM1 instead of the Oly 300 F4 and am happy with the decision. - Gregory

One star because I found the lens to be unusable...the zoom action was way too stiff. Basically, you set the focal length and you are stuck with that setting. I have other zooms, the Leica Lumix 12-35, the Leica lumix 35-100, the pany 45-200 and the pany 100-300. All of these have a nice feel and you can zoom the lens while looking through the viewfinder. But not this new 100-400. It takes two hands to zoom the lens, i.e., change the focal length meaning that if you want to track something and change the focal length as you shoot....no way! Optically, a very nice lens. If they fix the stiffness issue I will order another one. The sales person at B&H said that the stiffness was a characteristic of the lens, that is why I did not ask for a replacement. I returned it. - Cameraman

I am a bird photographer and videographer and I have been excited about the prospect of owning this lens for some months. The first one I had was so stiff that I had to return it. YES, I did have the barrel unlocked! The replacement zoomed in much more smoothly, but zooming in was jerky and stiff. I had to return this one, too. I feel bereft. All I have left is my 100-300mm Panasonic lens which has never been very good. still debating whether to send this back. - Waxart

Just placed my order for a GX85 from B&H for $697 that also comes with a free Panny battery, travel charger and a $100 B&H gift certificate.    I'm torn between getting the 12-35 and the 35-100 Panny zooms which are both on sale for $696 and $897 respectively OR the Noctricron for $1397    I'm already invested in m4/3 glass with the SLR Magic 12, Nokton 25mm, Panny 14-140(1st gen) and 20mm pancake(1st gen) as well as some vintage glass that was recommended by Andrew in one of his shooting guides(CY 85mm F1.4, Contax Zeiss 45mm F2, Olympus 38mm F1.8).    I've had my eye on those Panny zooms for sometime, having used my primes on my GH2 and GH3, but I'm currently shooting with a BM Micro and wanted a compact stills camera that could also do quality video, hence the GX85 order, after mulling all the available options and not wanting to buy into another system(Sony, Fuji).    

I know the zooms and the Nocticron are totally different beasts, but could the Nocticron be a decent carry around multupurpose lens(primarily for stills)? The GX85 is supposed to be delivered on Monday, along with the gift card to which I'll put to use on either the two zooms, which I know will be more versatile, or the Nocticron, which I'm loving the imagery from. I should note, the Contax Zeiss 45mm is probably my most favorite modified lens; It's so sharp and had an appealing look it produced, but the Metabones adapter required to use it is kind of fiddly and when using it on the GH3 which had no focus peaking, focus wide open was often hit or miss.    

I'd like to hear if anyone had an opinion if given the choice which would they select: 2 zooms or one high quality prime.  

I also own both the Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 and 35-100mm f/2.8 zooms, as well as the Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95. It seems to me that recently, the 12-35mm isn't as sharp as it used to be, but two repair shops could find nothing wrong with it. Which is why I've already bought the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and am currently looking for a decent 12mm lens. The 35-100mm produces lovely images, but still has jittery OIS, even after the firmware update, but at least one forum member reported that it is no longer a problem on one of the newer Panasonic bodies featuring IBIS. On other manufacturer's bodies without IBIS, however, it could and will be an issue. The Nokton is unparalleled for its build quality. The Nocticron has by far the best build quality of any AF lens for MFT, fast and accurate AF, as well as class-leading OIS in the u4/3 system. Andrew already said in his review of the GX80/85 that it had excellent stability. Something you should be aware of though, is that the Nocticron is actually larger than the GH4 body, and I expect it will be quite a bit larger than the GX85. Mounting it on a quick release plate with the camera slightly forward helps when mounting the camera on a tripod. You already know I am infatuated with the Nocticron, but since you're primarily in the market for a versatile lens, I'd probably go with the two Panasonic zooms.

Here's a short clip shot with the 12-35mm f/2.8:

Free Background Music from JewelBeat.com

@ jonpais thank you for your insight; Man you've got quite the collection of lenses.    

I guess I needed someone else to tell me that the zooms will get the most mileage; I might just get the 35-100 based on your findings with the 12-35 and I've already got enough primes to cover that 12-35 range anyway.    With the ibis and focus peaking on the gx85 it'll be nice to shoot with some of my older primes while leaving the tripod behind.   The $697 deal from B&H with Panny battery, charger and $100 gift card was also for the camera and kit lens which I'm sure isn't worth writing home about but may come in handy.  

I share your infatuation with the Nocticron and part of me wonders whether it could be a lens that just stays on the camera and I can work around any issues shooting at that focal length; I do shoot some portraits in my office(new attorneys that are hired) and I'm often asked to get photo coverage from events and training sessions that maybe that one lens could suffice.   

If you're still considering a 42.5 lens,  maybe you should just pick up the two zooms and spend an extra $300 for the Panasonic 42.5 f/1.7 instead. Every review I've seen says it's an excellent lens, it focuses closer than the Nocticron if you want to do the occasional 'macro' shot, and according to Max Yuryev, the Nocticron's OIS has micro jitter, the 42.5 f/1.7 doesn't. I can't comment, since I've always used the Nocticron on a tripod. Tough decisions!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great, that's quite the gear you got to work with! :grin:

Just as a small side note, somehow the trailer cut didn't quite work for me, didn't really feel the suspense and mood that was supposed to be there. Could possibly be worth taking another look at?

52 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Looks great, that's quite the gear you got to work with! :grin:

Just as a small side note, somehow the trailer cut didn't quite work for me, didn't really feel the suspense and mood that was supposed to be there. Could possibly be worth taking another look at?

Yeah I felt the same, I didn't have final say in the trailer cut. Was responsible for the visuals only, not anything else :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2016 at 6:12 AM, jonpais said:

@Cary Knoop I'm glad you're enjoying your purchase. The overwhelming majority of buyers who left comments over at B&H also felt that the PanLeica 100-400mm f/4-6.3 was exceptional. But is it really? Several users confirmed that, mechanically at least, the lens leaves much to be desired.  And a few either exchanged or returned their lens because of the zoom mechanism, not something you'd expect from a product designed by Leica.

I'm amazed to read this as I've been using the 100-400 since July and not experienced anything like the zoom problems some report, particularly the user who has to zoom with two hands (!) and found the zoom better on the frustratingly bad 100-300.

I've shot a fair bit of footage while zooming without issue- my copy has a decent amount of resistance (the lock is definitely superfluous) but it is definitely smooth. Stabilisation seems fine too, but I'm not one of these users who expects to handhold at these focal lengths.

I'd describe myself as having a healthy cynicism toward camera gear (and I'm still paying for my 100-400, so I do appreciate the cost...) but every time I've got this lens out of the bag thinking "here it is- the least worst option for my system at this focal length" I've been thinking "this is actually a bit of a technological marvel" while shooting.

For the record my dislikes about the lens are the odd hood attachment system (little clampy knob rather than bayonet, just like the Nocticron but incongrously made from plastic), the single mounting hole on the tripod foot and the unecessary, hard-to-tell-if-it's-working lock.

Whilst we're talking about long lenses, I'm wondering how the 100-300 would behave on the G80 with stabilisation turned on, especially if you had it on a head.

I love this lens and I have OIS switched on most of the time, but it can bite you on the arse sometimes, but most of the time it works great with ois on.

I threw a few clips together to show a mate a while back . Think the 1st clip is on ETS also.