Lenses

Andrew Reid

I'm currently selling my canon fd L set on ebay so I can raise money to get the zeiss milvus 50mm and the 21mm. This could either be the greatest decision or the biggest mistake of my life LOL

It's a completely different look. One is soft and classic with low contrast, one high contrast and razor sharp. I would at least RENT the zeiss before doing this!!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's a completely different look. One is soft and classic with low contrast, one high contrast and razor sharp. I would at least RENT the zeiss before doing this!!!

ugh I am about to go out to sea with the navy again so I have no time :(

think the safest bet are the Sigma ART line. I am just turned off by the fact they are plastic and not metal but the image quality is some of the best I have seen

think the safest bet are the Sigma ART line. I am just turned off by the fact they are plastic and not metal but the image quality is some of the best I have seen

First, I hope you have safe travels and thanks again for your service!!!

Second, I don't know man... It kinda seems that the NX1 is just not suited to your workflow style. I like what you've been getting out of it, but you seem displeased with your results.

Between your Nikkors and your FD lenses, you have a great set up. I think you might enjoy the pocket cam or the 5D better?

If I were you, I'd probably ditch the NX1, while you can still get some coin out of her and pick up a pocket and a 5D. Maybe sell your FDs and get some c-mount lenses for the pocket. 

But then again... What do I know. If you want the Zeiss... Go for the Zeiss, they are beautiful lenses. Or the art lenses... You can't go wrong with either. 

The Sigma ART lenses are top notch from the quality, I wouldn't be concerned about any plastics vs metal discussions. I clearly wouldn't want them to be any heavier for sure, which brings me to the point: did you consider how big the Sigmas are? They're surely quite a bit bigger than your Nikkors or FDs so consider that. When you compare the Sigma 50 1.4 vs the Canon EF 50 1.4 USM you get way better quality at the price of a way bigger & heavier lens. For some applications I'm not sure which is the better compromise.

The Sigma ART lenses are top notch from the quality, I wouldn't be concerned about any plastics vs metal discussions. I clearly wouldn't want them to be any heavier for sure, which brings me to the point: did you consider how big the Sigmas are? They're surely quite a bit bigger than your Nikkors or FDs so consider that. When you compare the Sigma 50 1.4 vs the Canon EF 50 1.4 USM you get way better quality at the price of a way bigger & heavier lens. For some applications I'm not sure which is the better compromise.

Size I can deal with as long as the focus ring is in a comfortable position. My only worry was the build quality so thanks for clearing that up because it was becoming off putting. Every time I hear plastic lens I think rokinon or my shitty canon 50mm f1.8 ! Im really just chasing image quality because the NX1 is extremely picky, I have to shoot stopped down one or two clicks and losing precious light. As always man thank you for the input !

First, I hope you have safe travels and thanks again for your service!!!

Second, I don't know man... It kinda seems that the NX1 is just not suited to your workflow style. I like what you've been getting out of it, but you seem displeased with your results.

Between your Nikkors and your FD lenses, you have a great set up. I think you might enjoy the pocket cam or the 5D better?

If I were you, I'd probably ditch the NX1, while you can still get some coin out of her and pick up a pocket and a 5D. Maybe sell your FDs and get some c-mount lenses for the pocket. 

But then again... What do I know. If you want the Zeiss... Go for the Zeiss, they are beautiful lenses. Or the art lenses... You can't go wrong with either. 

I love the NX1 don't get me wrong ! Some lenses work better or worse depending on the sensor. Keep in mind these lenses I own are designed for film so you are really rolling the dice. I have a couple theories on getting a better image out of the nx1, the in camera processing is a hurdle I am trying to conquer. Not to get off subject but I've tried diffusion for better compression and I failed so I assume a high contrast zeiss or sigma that can resolve 6k would alleviate the issues I am encountering. I believe during the downscaling from 6.5k to 4k the camera is trying to increase apparent detail with in camera sharpening, i notice this when I use a diffuser. This is why I have been so frantic trying to find the proper lens combination 

I love the NX1 don't get me wrong ! Some lenses work better or worse depending on the sensor. Keep in mind these lenses I own are designed for film so you are really rolling the dice. I have a couple theories on getting a better image out of the nx1, the in camera processing is a hurdle I am trying to conquer. Not to get off subject but I've tried diffusion for better compression and I failed so I assume a high contrast zeiss or sigma that can resolve 6k would alleviate the issues I am encountering. I believe during the downscaling from 6.5k to 4k the camera is trying to increase apparent detail with in camera sharpening, i notice this when I use a diffuser. This is why I have been so frantic trying to find the proper lens combination 

I know you love it, as you should... It's a great camera. And I think your findings are probably right on... With that much resolution, modern lenses are probably more suited to the sensor. Honestly, I think the NX users should be thanking you for all the tests you're performing and for sharing the results.

From my experiences with the NX500, it seems like the NX line of lenses affords the best results... If you want a very clean, clinical look... I don't own an NX lens, but from what I have seen of them, in comparison with what I have tested with my vintage lenses. The Sigma 18-35, that Ricardo tested, looks beautiful. It's clean and sharp, yet still has some character.

The good thing about your current lens line up or your current options are they all are cross platform lenses. These lenses will work with any future camera purchase... Unless you go to Nikon or Canon in the future, then you will lose adaptability with your FD lenses. So, if you want to upgrade to the Zeiss or Sigma, selling off the FDs is smarter than selling the Nikkors.

Also keep in mind that a lot of people use the Sigma lenses, so the Zeiss may make more sense to differentiate yourself.

But you have such a great set of FD lenses that it may make more sense to sell the NX1 and move to Blackmagic. Zak Forsman recently stated in a post on another topic that he couldn't be happier using Raw instead of chasing resolution... I'm paraphrasing. As you know, the lenses can last for decades, where the camera will only last a couple years... Give or take. 

But you have such a great set of FD lenses that it may make more sense to sell the NX1 and move to Blackmagic. Zak Forsman recently stated in a post on another topic that he couldn't be happier using Raw instead of chasing resolution... I'm paraphrasing. As you know, the lenses can last for decades, where the camera will only last a couple years... Give or take. 

Imho,in motion, lens resolution is totally secondary, unless it´s very bad.

I know you love it, as you should... It's a great camera. And I think your findings are probably right on... With that much resolution, modern lenses are probably more suited to the sensor. Honestly, I think the NX users should be thanking you for all the tests you're performing and for sharing the results.

From my experiences with the NX500, it seems like the NX line of lenses affords the best results... If you want a very clean, clinical look... I don't own an NX lens, but from what I have seen of them, in comparison with what I have tested with my vintage lenses. The Sigma 18-35, that Ricardo tested, looks beautiful. It's clean and sharp, yet still has some character.

The good thing about your current lens line up or your current options are they all are cross platform lenses. These lenses will work with any future camera purchase... Unless you go to Nikon or Canon in the future, then you will lose adaptability with your FD lenses. So, if you want to upgrade to the Zeiss or Sigma, selling off the FDs is smarter than selling the Nikkors.

Also keep in mind that a lot of people use the Sigma lenses, so the Zeiss may make more sense to differentiate yourself.

yeah you're right about that for sure. The only reason I haven't made the jump to blackmagic is the fact that I am a still shooter as well. The times I can get away with it I will gladly shoot with my personal camera over the old Nikon's the Navy uses so still features are important to me ! I may end up keeping the nikkors (definitely selling the FD's) and try a blackmagic pocket with a speed booster alongside the nx1. The 5d was another option but I am slightly intimidated about the raw workflow. I simply do not have the storage on hand for cinema dng files !

Imho,in motion, lens resolution is totally secondary, unless it´s very bad.

on other cameras maybe but I think it will be beneficial on the NX1. Again there is something going on with the debayering / in camera processing that makes the cam feel like it needs to jack up the in camera sharpening idk why but whatever. when you zoom in you can see low resolution (due to lens resolution) areas of the image with extreme edge enhancement, it looks weird

Do you think that the problem might be the fact that the camera is downscaling 6.5k to 4k and that creates this sharpening effect which you think is being done in-camera? So using high contrast sharp lenses might just make things even worse.

Have you used a really soft lens on the NX1 yet?

What I dislike about these nikkors (and any fast photo prime) is the field curvature or whatever it is that makes the outside DOF inconsistent. Until you stop down to 2-2.8 the corners and border areas are more in focus than the center areas, making the 1.4 sort of pointless. This doesn't happen on my mamiya RZ67 :)

the 35mm 1.4 is another level, i can post a pic.

The keboard was at lowest power light and the temperature of the light source under the keyboard are very similar to the temperetures of the room so there arn't supposed to be any blues.
56a8cc46a238f_Skarmavbild_2016-01-27_kl.

Is there an LED in the lamp? Is it cool or warm?

The 50mm f1.4 works nicely. There really is a certain mojo with Nikons.
(the red is pretty sweet to)

KrutIgen.md.jpg 

Yeah there is... A few months ago I was in the process of selling off my Nikkors. I had a small set of ai/non-ai primes, which I wasn't using all that much.

On a whim, I attached the non-ai 50mm f2... And... I was blown away!!! I did some research and learned that some people consider this modest little lens to be one of the sharpest 50s ever made. So, I went searching for a wide angle companion for her and found the 28mm f2. All I can say is... WOW!!! What an amazing lens. 

Since we're sharing grabs, here's a jpeg screen grab from my G7 with 28mm f2, wide open, with the Fotodiox Vizelex ND Throttle adapter. I did some post with the Cinelook FCPX plug-in from Color Grading Central...

image.jpeg

• Super Members

It's a gigantic problem if you plan to show your film on a theater screen. 

Didn't bother me one bit during Hateful 8.

Yeah there is... A few months ago I was in the process of selling off my Nikkors. I had a small set of ai/non-ai primes, which I wasn't using all that much.

On a whim, I attached the non-ai 50mm f2... And... I was blown away!!! I did some research and learned that some people consider this modest little lens to be one of the sharpest 50s ever made. So, I went searching for a wide angle companion for her and found the 28mm f2. All I can say is... WOW!!! What an amazing lens. 

Since we're sharing grabs, here's a jpeg screen grab from my G7 with 28mm f2, wide open, with the Fotodiox Vizelex ND Throttle adapter. I did some post with the Cinelook FCPX plug-in from Color Grading Central...

image.jpeg

Looks really nice :)

the 35mm 1.4 is another level, i can post a pic.

The keboard was at lowest power light and the temperature of the light source under the keyboard are very similar to the temperetures of the room so there arn't supposed to be any blues.
56a8cc46a238f_Skarmavbild_2016-01-27_kl.

I would probably be ok with that.