Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I currently have the 50 1.2 AIS and a 50 1.8 AF-d, and 55 2.8 macro

I've owned the older 50 1.4 S in the past.

1.8 and 2 are really pretty much the same thing. All of them are pretty sharp at f/2.

the 1.4 I had was pretty dreamy wide open and got sharp around 2.8 or so if I recall.

The 1.8 I have is sharp wide open and about the same at 2.8.

The 1.2 is very good wide open and really sharp closed down.

the 55 2.8 macro is just next level, edge to edge sharpness throughout it's aperture settings.

Unrelated to the 50s, but I bought a 20mm 2.8 AIS the other week and man is it nice. It's already one of my favorite nikon lenses

I currently have the 50 1.2 AIS and a 50 1.8 AF-d, and 55 2.8 macro

I've owned the older 50 1.4 S in the past.

1.8 and 2 are really pretty much the same thing. All of them are pretty sharp at f/2.

the 1.4 I had was pretty dreamy wide open and got sharp around 2.8 or so if I recall.

The 1.8 I have is sharp wide open and about the same at 2.8.

The 1.2 is very good wide open and really sharp closed down.

the 55 2.8 macro is just next level, edge to edge sharpness throughout it's aperture settings.

Unrelated to the 50s, but I bought a 20mm 2.8 AIS the other week and man is it nice. It's already one of my favorite nikon lenses

good ! The 20mm was my next purchase, glad to hear someone say they like the look of it

It's awesome!

Awhile ago I had the much older nikkor 20mm 3.5 UD, and the copy I had was a bit yellowed and soft.

The 20 2.8 AIS is much sharper wide open and a perfect color match for all the other Nikon AIS stuff I have.

It fills a huge hole in my line up and makes me wish I had bought one sooner

If you find a one, grab it!

hey guys quick question. I have a GH3 and i'm into low light video shooting in clubs, catching people dance basically enjoying themselves, are these lens any good for my purpose 

Bolex Switar 25mm f1.4 H16 RX C-mount lens  

Cosmicar (Pentax) 25mm f/1.4 C mount Television lens BMPCC, Bolex compatible

hey guys quick question. I have a GH3 and i'm into low light video shooting in clubs, catching people dance basically enjoying themselves, are these lens any good for my purpose 

C-Mount lenses can be a great solution for lowlight video. I personally love them. But, there is a lot of funkiness involved with adapting them. For instance, the Cosmicar should cover the sensor perfectly, but I do not think it will fit in a c-mount adapter without modifying the back of the lens. Another potential issue is infinity focus, on some lenses adjustments need to be made to insure infinity focus. If you like to tinker with things and don't mind trial and error, you can get some amazing images with c-mount lenses that, IMO, offer an in camera film look. 

i've never used c-mount lenses but I hear they are incredible. They sport a very unique look ! Anyway anything under 2.8 should be good. The voigtlander f0.95 were my go to lenses

C-Mount lenses can be a great solution for lowlight video. I personally love them. But, there is a lot of funkiness involved with adapting them. For instance, the Cosmicar should cover the sensor perfectly, but I do not think it will fit in a c-mount adapter without modifying the back of the lens. Another potential issue is infinity focus, on some lenses adjustments need to be made to insure infinity focus. If you like to tinker with things and don't mind trial and error, you can get some amazing images with c-mount lenses that, IMO, offer an in camera film look. 

any idea if it will vignette?

Film lenses weren't designed with the digital limitations in mind. Why are you asking?

because I need a lens set optimized for my digital body. Its a high megapixel sensor so im trying to see if it makes more sense to purchase lenses designed for digital or stick with my film lenses

because I need a lens set optimized for my digital body. Its a high megapixel sensor so im trying to see if it makes more sense to purchase lenses designed for digital or stick with my film lenses

Unless you want highres stills with wide angle lenses I don't think you will see the difference.

Unless you want highres stills with wide angle lenses I don't think you will see the difference.

thank you ! I was starting to worry because my diffusion filters perform different on my a7s and nx1 and I heard it was because the filters were designed for film & not digital and the same applies to film vs. digital lenses

thank you ! I was starting to worry because my diffusion filters perform different on my a7s and nx1 and I heard it was because the filters were designed for film & not digital and the same applies to film vs. digital lenses

I have no idea why they would perform differently (the filters). You canalways rent a modern lens and see if you need that kind of sharpness.

Your FDs and your Nikkors should be plenty sharp enough. I just sold off my set of FD lenses because I didn't love them, but I didn't have the L glass you have. I found they favored green and I don't like the way my Samsung handles green.

my fd's look great but my nikkors look better on the samsung. The Samsung sensor seems to be more picky than other sensors :-( don't get me wrong they are totally usable but it doesn't make sense keeping them if I have the same focal length nikkors rendering a better image to my eye

my fd's look great but my nikkors look better on the samsung. The Samsung sensor seems to be more picky than other sensors :-( don't get me wrong they are totally usable but it doesn't make sense keeping them if I have the same focal length nikkors rendering a better image to my eye

Especially since you can get a small fortune for them. I wonder how the Rokinon lenses would do with the Samsung. Or even the Xeen or Tokina Cine lenses. 

Especially since you can get a small fortune for them. I wonder how the Rokinon lenses would do with the Samsung. Or even the Xeen or Tokina Cine lenses. 

yeah dude I have no clue when FD lenses got so popular but I keep seeing the prices for em going up and up on ebay.Those Xeen lenses look sexy !