Lenses

Andrew Reid

yup thats what the charts show, especially at the center of the lens. You know crop sensor is gonna exaggerate that even more ! Resolving 6k is more of an issue with stills for me at least. Downscaling even relatively softer kenses to 1080 created an incredibly sharp image for me, like ridiculously sharp. When you think about it the camera is downscaling 6.5k to 4k then your taking that and putting it in 1080...thats ton's of resolution being crammed into a 2 megapixel image. I would still aim for lenses with character over resolution if you can't afford the sigma

This has been my dilemma lately. As I have said a thousand times before. I, like many, have a t2i, eos-m beginning. With those cameras you could shoot in Prolost Flat and use lenses to give your videos a "look." With the NX500, I started experimenting with color grading (usually disastrously) and I am just starting to get the hang of it, but it seems the "look" I used to get just by changing lenses is gone. With the G7 I have it back which excites me. I love putting a Cosmicar c-mount on my G7 and getting an instant filmic look with dialed down CineD. But with the NX500, no matter what I tried I never noticed a major difference between lenses, only if the lens can resolve the 28mp. My Minoltas look great on it, my Tokinas look great on it, but in a lot of ways they're generic looking and it requires post coloring. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This has been my dilemma lately. As I have said a thousand times before. I, like many, have a t2i, eos-m beginning. With those cameras you could shoot in Prolost Flat and use lenses to give your videos a "look." With the NX500, I started experimenting with color grading (usually disastrously) and I am just starting to get the hang of it, but it seems the "look" I used to get just by changing lenses is gone. With the G7 I have it back which excites me. I love putting a Cosmicar c-mount on my G7 and getting an instant filmic look with dialed down CineD. But with the NX500, no matter what I tried I never noticed a major difference between lenses, only if the lens can resolve the 28mp. My Minoltas look great on it, my Tokinas look great on it, but in a lot of ways they're generic looking and it requires post coloring. 

take it from a guy who went from canon,panasonic,sony to samsung...if a camera is giving you a look you want and its east for YOU to work with by all means stick with it and master it ! I too have noticed the differences in lenses don't "jump" at you like they do on other bodies. I really believe its how the image is processed (for video) in camera because the raw stills look gorgeous and you really see the nuances that give different lenses character. I gravitate towards the lenses made for film because optically they weren't perfect and those imperfections help build the look. The filmic look you're referring to is the flat "smooth" contrast you get from the panasonic & canon cameras ? 

take it from a guy who went from canon,panasonic,sony to samsung...if a camera is giving you a look you want and its east for YOU to work with by all means stick with it and master it ! I too have noticed the differences in lenses don't "jump" at you like they do on other bodies. I really believe its how the image is processed (for video) in camera because the raw stills look gorgeous and you really see the nuances that give different lenses character. I gravitate towards the lenses made for film because optically they weren't perfect and those imperfections help build the look. The filmic look you're referring to is the flat "smooth" contrast you get from the panasonic & canon cameras ? 

Exactly. Some lenses would look better, or as you put it, you could see the little nuances of the lens. I remember when I stuck my Minolta MC 50mm f1.4 and my 35mm f1.8 on to the eos-m, I was blown away. On the nx500... Sure it's technically a better image, but the character was missing. It's like going to a bar and seeing a hot woman, sure she's nice to look at, nobody would deny her that, but that girl next door across the bar with her crooked smile, her freckles and her big brown eyes... There's a story in her eyes and it doesn't end with her tits. Sorry, not my best of analogies, but I think you get my point. Anyway, that's kind of how I have been feeling about the Samsung, it's missing a soul or something. Or I have been drinking too much... Haha. 

Exactly. Some lenses would look better, or as you put it, you could see the little nuances of the lens. I remember when I stuck my Minolta MC 50mm f1.4 and my 35mm f1.8 on to the eos-m, I was blown away. On the nx500... Sure it's technically a better image, but the character was missing. It's like going to a bar and seeing a hot woman, sure she's nice to look at, nobody would deny her that, but that girl next door across the bar with her crooked smile, her freckles and her big brown eyes... There's a story in her eyes and it doesn't end with her tits. Sorry, not my best of analogies, but I think you get my point. Anyway, that's kind of how I have been feeling about the Samsung, it's missing a soul or something. Or I have been drinking too much... Haha. 

hahahaha I think I get it ! Have you tried the NX1 yet ? Aint no anti aliasing filter in the thing  ! These old lenses take on a whole new look. Hell of a thing how a sensor could alter the look.

Andrew Reid has been using a mount lenses...he sounds like he's getting good results. I've yet to try m42 lenses even though I have 4 takumars in storage, maybe an m42 mount lens would give your images character 

I have not tried an NX1, but I have seen people getting great results. Some of your work is the best NX1 footage I've seen. I really am not trying to knock the Samsung image quality, it's great. I really like my NX500. I have learned a lot about cinematography from it. It just feels like it's lacking something. Anyway, I have messed around a little with some m42 lenses... The Zeiss Jena 50mm f2.8 looks great with it, as does the Rikenon 35mm f2.8. I haven't tried Taks, but I do have a few. I just sold my 50mm 1.4 the other day, but I still have a couple others. 

Anyway, have a Merry Christmas!!!

DSCF1218.thumb.jpg.df3b92e77cf5aeb7f3458

I'll give it some use over the holidays. I'm still at home until tomorrow so I can hopefully compare the lenses, check for infinity focus, etc.

I think the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art for APS-C sensors is probably a better fit sizewise than the 35mm f/1.4 Art but I have barely heard anything about the optical qualities so far. The Nikon 50 1.8 G was really in proportion, can see why Kidzrevil likes the older Nikkors and FD primes on it.

what lens adapter are you using and does it have infinity focus ?

contax zeiss are pretty good, a lot of them are the same designs as the zeiss "Classic line" ZE  ZF.2 

and the best part for video work is that they have manual apatures but also spin focus  the right way. like a zeiss ZE ZF.2 hybrid. some of their coatings are not as modern or flare resistant as the "classic line."

Contax Zeiss glass is very very good , its the same glass formulation that is in Zeiss Super Speed cinema lenses ,Im now using a full set of these primes as my main lenses .

Ive been very busy this year working on a film and my next film in prep for next year is all being shot of Contax Zeiss glass.

craig 1.jpg

craig 3.jpg

Contax Zeiss glass is very very good , its the same glass formulation that is in Zeiss Super Speed cinema lenses ,Im now using a full set of these primes as my main lenses .

Ive been very busy this year working on a film and my next film in prep for next year is all being shot of Contax Zeiss glass.

craig 1.jpg

craig 3.jpg

good GOD that looks great ! Sheesh

what lens adapter are you using and does it have infinity focus ?

I tested with the following combos:

NX1 -> Generic NX to EOS EF Adapter -> Fotodiox N/G - EOS Adapter -> Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art in Nikon F mount
NX1 -> Generic NX to EOS EF Adapter -> Samyang 85mm f/1.4 in Canon EF mount

Both combinations hit infinity where it is marked on the distance scale despite the double adapter gamble, obviously you can focus until "after infinity" as on most modern lenses.

I didn't see if shop links are allowed, but to be precise it's these two adapter:

EOS EF to Nikon G: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008BBIBOM
The super short throw of the aperture lever IS annoying after some use, the blue plastic lever fell off so I superglued it on again and you can only take the lens off the adapter after taking the adapter off the camera... but then there is no way at all to control canon lenses' apertures so beggars can't be choosers and the double adapter combo is more flexible/lightweight than buying separate NX -> F and EF adapters.

Samsung NX to EOS EF: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00MKZXQA4