Lenses

Andrew Reid

Just picked up the Tokina 11-16 type 1 Nikon mount to use with my G7 and NX500. The specs say it's for the F mount, but since I don't see an aperture ring on it, I assume I need a Nikon G to m4/3rds or NX? I know this topic has been discussed a bunch lately on the main board, but can anyone recommend a good, cheap one?  I usually use Fotasy, or KandF Concept adapters, but is the Fotodiox one smoother with the aperture control?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

F mount is the Nikon mount, the G type means that it has no aperture ring compared to the older lenses that had one and were manual focus. So yes, you will need an adapter with integrated aperture lever. I received the Fotodiox Nikon F to Canon EF adapter yesterday, it's the one with the blue lever.  While I can't judge the general quality of the adapter yet, I can say that the throw of the lever is really really short, less than 90° and has no markings regarding stops or anything like that. It will do though probably.

Hey guys im thinking about selling my Pentax Takumar prime set,  how much do you think they would be worth as a kit? 

4 lenses Takumars Non-smc so uncoated for better flares.      28mm 3.5     35mm   2.0  Legendary 50mm 1.4   and  85mm 1.9

all with zip gears from half inch rails, 77mm front threads, ef adaptors and back caps, and most importantly all declicked,  

heres a pcture of them sans the 85 looks the same as the 35.

I 've had great success with these lenses they look nice, the 35 and 85 are not tack sharp wide open but they ait. I just got an otus 55 a need the funds if im going to try and complete the set. 

heres a recent music video shot on them except for the ultra wide shots. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gVqPkk6GEQ

408192_2468174708924_751673123_n.jpg

Very interested in these. Are the front filter threads removable or permanently attached? Glass is still clean?

Thanks Phil. Are there any indicator markings on the Fotodiox adapter? Obviously, it won't tell us the f-stop, but anything to delineate a level of open to close? 

The one I have has nothing, it doesn't even say which direction to close/open which is why I will first study it a moment before risking to get it stuck on a lens. I will use it together with an EF to NX adapter which hopefully will arrive tomorrow, will probably have some more practical feedback later this week.

I think the Fotodiox Vizelex ND Throttle adapter looks great on paper. It connects Nikon F to Sony E Mount / Samsung NX / Micro4/3 and includes aperture lever and variable ND but the price in Europe is 50% higher than in the US so I'm not sure I'll get one.

I used to have Fotga everything. Do have some things by Roxsen. But now I'm really really happy with K&F Concept adapters. http://www.kentfaith.com . This would be their Nikon(G)-M4/3 one http://kc.pedoli.com/product-detail-322.html . Has a squeezed and wide aperture depicted on 'em, so you know which way to turn. eBay or AliExpress is a good place to find 'em. Lots of rebranding in the segment. Usually they're all more or less the same. Also tend to end up on Amazon selling for quite a bit more.

I have a couple of the K&F Concept adapters and they are pretty nice. They are one of the few cheap adapters where the lens markings end up oriented to the top of the lens. Which is nice. 

The novoflex nikon mount adapter is superior

It better be for that money. How are you enjoying those Nikkors?

Geoff.

the threads are normal step-up rings so yes they can be removed. .Glass is good condition no haze or anything like that. 28 i think has a small scratch cant have to go look.  every year i have to leave them in the sun for a while since they have thorium elements and they yellow. 

I'm not  sure yet if i want to sell them, but i really do want to get that otus 85

I have a couple of the K&F Concept adapters and they are pretty nice. They are one of the few cheap adapters where the lens markings end up oriented to the top of the lens. Which is nice. 

It better be for that money. How are you enjoying those Nikkors?

the Canon FD novoflex I had was a waste of 213 dollars. Falls miserably below infinity focus ! The novoflex nikon goes slightly past infinity but with amazing build quality ! The Nikkors are amazing, they actually have me debating whether I should keep my Canon FD lenses go figure 

image.png

image.png

Yeah, they resolve nicely. Different looks but equally impressive. Have you used the NX1 on any jobs yet?

I recently picked up a Nikkor 28mm f2 and it is simply amazing. With just the 50mm f2 and the 28mm, I have eliminated 2 or 3 sets of lenses. I have too many anyway. 

Yeah, they resolve nicely. Different looks but equally impressive. Have you used the NX1 on any jobs yet?

I recently picked up a Nikkor 28mm f2 and it is simply amazing. With just the 50mm f2 and the 28mm, I have eliminated 2 or 3 sets of lenses. I have too many anyway. 

I haven't taken on any jobs yet ! Idk if I told you but im currently active duty military. I wish I could post the stuff I shot on base ! I will have new work soon though don't worry, come April i'll start a new project. Been thinking about giving up the FD's for the Sigma ART line or waiting for SLR Magic's anamorphic lens set. Would be interesting to see some anamorphic footage coming out the NX1

Thanks for your service, man!!! Do you get to go home for Christmas?

It's funny you mention the Sigma lenses. A buddy of mine has the 30mm f/1.4 and I shot a little with it yesterday and it is a beautiful lens. But he decided to return it and get a Rokinon so he would have full frame. The other day, I thought I had a Tokina 11-16, but there was a problem with the shipping, so it fell through. Afterwards I saw some footage from the Sigma 19mm and 30mm lenses.  They're f2.8 but they're cheap and brilliant. 

Thanks for your service, man!!! Do you get to go home for Christmas?

It's funny you mention the Sigma lenses. A buddy of mine has the 30mm f/1.4 and I shot a little with it yesterday and it is a beautiful lens. But he decided to return it and get a Rokinon so he would have full frame. The other day, I thought I had a Tokina 11-16, but there was a problem with the shipping, so it fell through. Afterwards I saw some footage from the Sigma 19mm and 30mm lenses.  They're f2.8 but they're cheap and brilliant. 

thank you for your support ! Yeah dude if I was 100% certain the novoflex adapter controlled aperture I would've got the sigma art lenses over the nikkors. They resolve 6k WIDE open which is no small feat. It's cool though the nikkors stopped down 1-2 stops sharpen up nicely and they have character. My FD glass looked way better on my A7s...

you should look into the sigma 35mm art !!!

So I got everything yesterday. I played a bit around with it, got me a no-name NX-EOS adapter and then the Fotodiox EOS-NikonF adapter with the aperture lever. Usability limitation is that you have to take the adapters apart to unlock the lens because the EF-F adapter has the release on the mount side instead of side, advantage is that it's lighter and cheaper than having an NX-EOS and NX-F adapter. But nothing moved, really tight fit.

I tried the Nikon 50 1.8 G, Sigma 35 Art and Sigma 85 1.4 F mount as well as a Samyang 85 in EF mount. Everything seemed to work just fine besides the aperture lever having a throw of less than 45° on the F adapter and moving a bit hard (might get smoother  with use).

DSCF1218.thumb.jpg.df3b92e77cf5aeb7f3458

I'll give it some use over the holidays. I'm still at home until tomorrow so I can hopefully compare the lenses, check for infinity focus, etc.

I think the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art for APS-C sensors is probably a better fit sizewise than the 35mm f/1.4 Art but I have barely heard anything about the optical qualities so far. The Nikon 50 1.8 G was really in proportion, can see why Kidzrevil likes the older Nikkors and FD primes on it.

thank you for your support ! Yeah dude if I was 100% certain the novoflex adapter controlled aperture I would've got the sigma art lenses over the nikkors. They resolve 6k WIDE open which is no small feat. It's cool though the nikkors stopped down 1-2 stops sharpen up nicely and they have character. My FD glass looked way better on my A7s...

you should look into the sigma 35mm art !!!

Yeah, that's a nice lens, but a little out of my price range. Do all of the art lenses resolve 6K wide open?

I'll give it some use over the holidays. I'm still at home until tomorrow so I can hopefully compare the lenses, check for infinity focus, etc.

I think the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art for APS-C sensors is probably a better fit sizewise than the 35mm f/1.4 Art but I have barely heard anything about the optical qualities so far. The Nikon 50 1.8 G was really in proportion, can see why Kidzrevil likes the older Nikkors and FD primes on it.

30mm f1.4 is amazing, we have a couple in my school on d7200's. Really sharp

Yeah, that's a nice lens, but a little out of my price range. Do all of the art lenses resolve 6K wide open?

yup thats what the charts show, especially at the center of the lens. You know crop sensor is gonna exaggerate that even more ! Resolving 6k is more of an issue with stills for me at least. Downscaling even relatively softer kenses to 1080 created an incredibly sharp image for me, like ridiculously sharp. When you think about it the camera is downscaling 6.5k to 4k then your taking that and putting it in 1080...thats ton's of resolution being crammed into a 2 megapixel image. I would still aim for lenses with character over resolution if you can't afford the sigma

the balance of the older lenses are amazing ! Even when you get into the 85mm range the camera is still balanced and the weight is manageable for hand held work. I haven't heard the sigmas as being heavy which is good cuz I worry about putting too much weight on the mount.