Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi! I found these two old lenses in a thrift shop for 40 bucks, no clue what the brand/mount is but they look interesting. The 135mm F2 is enormous so probably wont balance too well on my nex. The 21mm looks interesting but very weird with the back part of it. 

If you know anything about these lenses i would love to hear if they are worth keeping or if i should get sell them. Btw isn't F2 for a 135mm really fast?

Skärmavbild 2015-08-09 kl. 22.58.12.png

Skärmavbild 2015-08-09 kl. 22.58.00.png

Skärmavbild 2015-08-09 kl. 22.57.53.png

Hi! I found these two old lenses in a thrift shop for 40 bucks, no clue what the brand/mount is but they look interesting. The 135mm F2 is enormous so probably wont balance too well on my nex. The 21mm looks interesting but very weird with the back part of it. 

If you know anything about these lenses i would love to hear if they are worth keeping or if i should get sell them. Btw isn't F2 for a 135mm really fast?

Skärmavbild 2015-08-09 kl. 22.58.12.png

Skärmavbild 2015-08-09 kl. 22.58.00.png

Skärmavbild 2015-08-09 kl. 22.57.53.png

It looks like the 135mm is a Soligor, I'm gonna guess it's an old m42 mount, but I can't tell for sure without seeing the mount. The Minolta might be a projection lens, or an enlarger lens. 

It looks like the 135mm is a Soligor, I'm gonna guess it's an old m42 mount, but I can't tell for sure without seeing the mount. The Minolta might be a projection lens, or an enlarger lens. 

I found my dads old minolta camera and both the lenses fitted on it! So i now know the mount of the lenses. Now time to find out if getting an adapter for them is any meaning.

Copies of that Minolta are listed on eBay for 400 bucks... You may have gotten the deal of the year. 

:O :O :O :O :O

Edit: OMG the soligor is worth so much too!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-NM-SOLIGOR-135mm-F-2-0-SUPER-FAST-and-NEAR-MINT-42mm-SCREWMOUNT-/351200815947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c5332b4b

Looks like im getting something better than the a6000

:O :O :O :O :O

Edit: OMG the soligor is worth so much too!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-NM-SOLIGOR-135mm-F-2-0-SUPER-FAST-and-NEAR-MINT-42mm-SCREWMOUNT-/351200815947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c5332b4b

Looks like im getting something better than the a6000

Don't get your hopes too high. I saw two other listings for that Soligor, one for 4 something and one for 220 or best offer. Assume you'll get the same, or less,  as the cheapest one listed. Even still, between the two lenses you could make a nice profit. Good buy!!!

Don't get your hopes too high. I saw two other listings for that Soligor, one for 4 something and one for 220 or best offer. Assume you'll get the same, or less,  as the cheapest one listed. Even still, between the two lenses you could make a nice profit. Good buy!!!

220 is still really good for me, that combined with the 21mm will for sure give me the 40 bucks i spent back :)

Has anyone used the SLR Magic 10mm and the 12mm? I have the opportunity to get one or the other--the 12 for $350, the 10 for $450. I'm not sure which one to go for. I currently have the SLR Magic 25mm and plan to get either the 35mm f/1.4 or the 50mm f/0.95 next.

For context, I shoot mostly narrative, occasionally foraying into music videos and events. I want a wide angle for wide vistas, deep space compositions, and moving/steadicam shots. I have a BMPCC and plan to pick up a GH4 or G7 in the next month or so. I don't mind distortion (in fact, I kind of prefer a little) and I don't care if the 12 is soft at t/1.6 if it sharpens up by t/2. 

How, in your experience, do the two compare in those situations? Thanks in advance!

Has anyone used the SLR Magic 10mm and the 12mm?

Hallo,

I think Andrew Reid has experience using them, also Seb Farges, who does a lot of lens and anamorphic tests on vimeo.

Seb also checks in here sometimes. So maybe you can send them a PM.

Here goes a link for one of Seb Farges´ beautiful vids. It´s for the SLR Magic 10mm.

cheers

I am planning to get the Voigtländer Ultron 40mm f2. Since I will be using this lens either on m43 or Sony, i am not bound to the nikon or the canon version. Any advice which route i should take? I know that the nikon version is smaller and lighter and features an own aperture ring - however if i would combine this lens with a speedbooster, i get an additional aperture ring - so how does this work in the end?

I am planning to get the Voigtländer Ultron 40mm f2. Since I will be using this lens either on m43 or Sony, i am not bound to the nikon or the canon version. Any advice which route i should take? I know that the nikon version is smaller and lighter and features an own aperture ring - however if i would combine this lens with a speedbooster, i get an additional aperture ring - so how does this work in the end?

get nikon, its the most adaptable mount so you can use it on alomost all cameras

Hello, longtime lurker here. On this thread's (and Andy's) glowing recommendation I recently picked up one of the angenieux-design Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8 lens... (the PRO II version with bayonet hood) but unfortunately, in my excitement for a great ebay deal, I didn't realize that the canon-mount version I bought doesn't have manual aperture adjustment like the nikon-mount does, which is a bummer. But I was curious, because even in one of my canon cameras, the widest aperture it will show (electronically) is 2.8, not 2.6. Has anybody else experienced the same thing?

Also, looking at some of the nikon mount versions on ebay, even though all of them say 2.6-2.8 on the front element, the aperture ring shows 2.8 on some of them, 2.6 on others, just has me a little confused, is this one of the differences between the PRO I and PRO II variants? Can any of you lens experts set me straight? Thanks!

So, I have been messing around with my Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 2.8 lenses, on my NX500 and what a great combo. There is just something so cinematic about these lenses.

Anyway, I have two copies, a newer all black one and an older copy that is silver and black with a rubber focusing grip. The all black one has an issue with the aperture pin, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I think I will open her up and have a look and probably declick it while I'm in there. I also just won a zebra version. I have read that the zebra copies of this lens are better than the other versions... Can anyone corroborate this?

I also picked up the Pancolar for a steal, the zebra version, is the 1.8 a lot better than the 2.8, other than speed?

So, I have been messing around with my Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 2.8 lenses, on my NX500 and what a great combo. There is just something so cinematic about these lenses.

Anyway, I have two copies, a newer all black one and an older copy that is silver and black with a rubber focusing grip. The all black one has an issue with the aperture pin, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I think I will open her up and have a look and probably declick it while I'm in there. I also just won a zebra version. I have read that the zebra copies of this lens are better than the other versions... Can anyone corroborate this?

I also picked up the Pancolar for a steal, the zebra version, is the 1.8 a lot better than the 2.8, other than speed?

Yes they are amazing and very sharp too! I have 3 old Zeiss the Jena 35mm 2.4, Pancolar 50mm 1.8 and Biometar 80mm 2.8 medium format which they actually used in Hollywood I read!! All very sharp even fully open and yes they certainly give you that cinematic dimension and muted contrast, not that the colours are lower but they're just different, vintage and creamy esp the Pancolar. The Flektagon Jena 35mm 2.4f is the best though, probably the best lens ever made imo, honestly everything looks very special through that lens but that's no secret!