Looking to spend around $2000 on camera and computer

scottyg

I need suggestions to get started with video.  I have around $1200 worth of nikon gear I can sell if i switch brands.  My D300 does not take videos.  I will continue to take alot of stills also.  I shoot rock climbing(often low light), skateboarding and some nature stuff.  I've been looking at:

- d5200/5300:  I can keep some lenses + good low light.

- d7100:  keep lenses + I like using CLS flash for stills when it is really dark.

- a6000: good low light. I would have to get used to smaller body.  Needs external audio recorder or sony mic

- gh3/g6: stills on par with d300? good video. gh3 is weather sealed, but more expensive.

I have been looking at building a computer with a i5/7, 16gb ram, and a gtx660.  This would be around 1000 - 1200.  Not sure if i need specs that high or if money would be better spent on camera stuff.  The laptop I have been using (2nd gen i5, 4gb ram) cannot handle editing GoPro files.

Any suggestions would help.  budget is not firm.  let me know if you need more info from me.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

If you're used to a D300 I wouldn't suggest going for an entry level camera body, like the d5200/a6000

The only one you'll feel comfortable with, is the  d7000 series. It's an upgrade from the d300 in photography, and of course has a great video mode. This is the only one you'll feel to be an "upgrade" from your current gear. Plus you'll keep your Nikor glass and will not have to learn a new system. 

I suggest the d7100. 

But the d7100 does not have 60p and it's going to be replaced at the end of the year (rumours). The d7100 is smaller than the d300, personally I hate the small body so...

If you already have the glass it's better to stay on the nikon system unless you have a good reason.

Btw,the computer seems kinda expensive. I paid 800€ 4 years ago for a i7 2600k, 16gb and a 560ti... (hdd,power,etc...)

Maybe buy something cheap (Panasonic G6) and keep your D300 if you are happy with it, for stills. Get a focal reducer / lens turbo (cheap speed booster) to use your nikkor lenses. If you have G lenses get a canon eos to m43 focal reducer and a Nikon to eos adapter with aperture control.

good to know @araucaria the d7000 is out then.

Ideally I would like to improve low light for stills and get video capabilities with an upgrade.  So I will most likely sell the d300.

The lenses I have are cheap (18-105 kit, 55-300, and 8mm fisheye).  I like them, but I if I bought a different brand body, I think I would buy new lenses instead of adapting.  The main advantages of staying with nikon would be familiarity and CLS with my sb700 speedlite.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Ideally I would like to improve low light for stills and get video capabilities with an upgrade.  So I will most likely sell the d300.

The main advantages of staying with nikon would be familiarity and CLS with my sb700 speedlite.

The D7100 checks all your boxes. 

It's a significantly better stills camera than your d300 (Double the resolution, 2 stops low-light advantage, 2 stops more dynamic range)
+
Has a great video mode. One of the best video images on APS-C market. 

Why I am specifically advising going with this camera is that you're used to the D300, A professional/ fully-featured, rugged, workhorse of a camera. So I wouldn't suggest a cheap entry-level body. You'll be very disappointed by say a D5200 compared to the D300 in terms of speed, size, build quality and stills. It's almost a toy compared to what you're used to. Only the D7100 on your list would feel reassuring enough. 

Plus you have Nikon lenses and already know the system. It has almost identical control layout and feel as your D300, only better images and great video. 

post-33816-0-86473800-1400445714_thumb.j

But the g6+speed booster is more expensive than a d5200 or maybe even more than a d5300.

Panasonic G6 - can get cheap deals often. I've heard of them going for $375

Focal Reducer ~$100

But you are right that a D5200/D5300 is an easy 'upgrade' too. Image quality is better than D300, but shooting (photography) with the D300 is a completely different (better) experience.

Panasonic G6 - can get cheap deals often. I've heard of them going for $375

Focal Reducer ~$100

But you are right that a D5200/D5300 is an easy 'upgrade' too. Image quality is better than D300, but shooting (photography) with the D300 is a completely different (better) experience.

Yes, but the d7100 body isn't great either. I also have a d300,d3 and d800, and you won't find any body that competes with the d300/d700/d3 bodies (big and perfect placed buttons) even the d800 is worse in that aspect.

But honestly, at the end of the year the d810 and probably the d7200 are going to be announced, Personally I wouldn't pay the premium price for the actual bodies now.

I had this same budget a year ago.  For some reasons, laptops were cheaper a back then.  I bought a i7 Toshiba laptop, then upgraded to 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD for a grand total of $920.  Then I got the GH3 with the kit lens (14-42).  Kit lens is amazingly sharp at F/8 at full wide, and average at just about anything outside of that.  The zoom action isn't smooth.  But you can do a lot with it.

I'm using a Class 10 microSDXC with zero problems with the GH3, so I was able to save money that way.

I think I'll end up with a d7100.  I definitely see myself switching to mirrorless at some point, but replacing my nikon lenses with mirrorless system equivalent lenses would be expensive.  Maybe next update.

For the PC, I think it is more expensive, because I am including monitor and because desktop cpu's cost more than laptop cpu's.

What is the usual hard drive setup for video editing?  I was thinking a SSD for software and scratch then a HDD for storage.  Is this okay? Or should I have a separate drive for scratch? How big?

i would recommend the G6 or the D7100.

im a big fan of the G6, but since you have some nikon glass and are used to this system, i would probably recommend going with the D7100. (but i dont have any first hand experience with this camera)

G6 + focal reducer + nikon glass is a great setup, but everybody coming from the photography side of life seems to be allergic to manual focus. and thats all youll have with this setup.

dont get the GH3! not only is the G6 cheaper, but its also a better camera over all. at least for the kind of video work i do. the only real advantage of the GH3 is weather sealing, if you dont need that, dont get this camera. the 72mbit all i is on par with the 24mbit ipb codec of the G6. the g6 has a better display and focus peaking. i would much rather spend the extra money of the gh3 on a lens.

if you do run and gun video (like it sounds like) the G6 with 14-140mm is an absolutely astonishing setup. nice zoom for getting into those climbers: check. OIS for stable footage out of hand: check. but go to a store first and put your hands on this camera. i know how hard it is to switch camera systems, that why you might wanna stay with Nikon.