Panasonic G6 video color-shift fix! (I think)

Sven

Hello!

As other has mentioned when recording video there is a colorshift as soon as you press the rec-button on G6. When comparing a photo jpeg to the h264-file the colors differ a lot, its like magenta is replaced with yellow, red tones towards magenta look orange.
When trying to match in Final Cut by adding magenta I got a magenta cast in the rest of the image..
In 5d2RGB I tried different settings to transcode the h264-file, found a fix!, When using "ITU-R BT.601" in Decoding Matrix magenta gets back and the image looks almost exactly like the still-jpeg (and correct).
Attatched images is exported frames from Premiere Pro CS6, they look the same i Final Cut 7. I was about to give up on the G6, the skin colors looked so weird.
(picture profile: Portrait -5-1-1 0)

post-34697-0-10535400-1400364147_thumb.j

post-34697-0-39507300-1400364150_thumb.j

post-34697-0-12021300-1400364157_thumb.j

post-34697-0-82192800-1400364162_thumb.j

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The G6 is superb little camera

I shoot Natural -3 , 0 -3 ,0  or Natural -5, 0 -5, 0 (which I have stored as a custom setting , its a flatter profile and gets better blacks less contrast)

and I get good skin tones , I dont ever shoot Portrait as it crushes the blacks and colours too much

All Panny cameras seem to have a colour shift when you hit the record button , it has never bothered me

Yes it's a great camera! I recently did a documentary and the ergonomics are great together with the 12-35 2.8 lens (besides the hard eye-cup...)

I used to shoot with natural but switched to try to see if skintones improved, but now with this fix I will go back to natural I think.

Try the fix, your skin tones might get even better! :)

According to this test, natural and portrait has about the same dynamic range but portrait has more red present.

http://gro.solexiv.de/2014/02/panasonic-g6-color-profiles/

Yes it's a great camera! I recently did a documentary and the ergonomics are great together with the 12-35 2.8 lens (besides the hard eye-cup...)

I used to shoot with natural but switched to try to see if skintones improved, but now with this fix I will go back to natural I think.

Try the fix, your skin tones might get even better! :)

According to this test, natural and portrait has about the same dynamic range but portrait has more red present.

http://gro.solexiv.de/2014/02/panasonic-g6-color-profiles/

Interesting, thanks for posting this ....