Panasonic S1R experiences wanted

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Thee camera that shall not be spoken about.

It got a HUGE firmware update.

Now does 5K and is basically a Leica SL2 for half price.

I seem to remember AF works a lot better on S1R especially in 4K/60p full frame than in 4K on the S1 and S1H. Anyone tested this?

I don't think it can do V-LOG?

But it has HLG now.

And it is one of the very few full frame 4K/60p cams for under $1500 used.

So maybe it should be more on our radar than it was?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
24 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Not seen colour this nice since the Digital Bolex!

Think I may need to pick one up

Please do!  Could be a total option; HLG may be able to be converted to VLOG in Davinci Resolve. You could shoot 4k60p and use optical flow to smoothly play-back in real-time at 24p without frame dropping. A potential solution for Panasonic full-frame with decent autofocus. 

A pair of them are my current workhorses for hybrid work. 
Along with an S1H and a currently disabled S5.

I shoot both 8 bit 4K 50p and 10 bit 5k 25p with them and personally think that the 5k SOOC (flat profile) is some of the nicest footage I have seen.

The AF is more than pretty decent other than a lack of reliability in forward tracking unless using f4-8 where it gets quite reliable, especially with native lenses, but these don’t have that much over Sigma.

Two weaknesses for me:

I wish the 5k was 50/60p

15 min recording limit

I am sure I am not imagining it but there does seem to be something a bit more special coming from this sensor, especially in 5k mode and that must have something to do with it not being Sony?

No Vlog but yes it does HLG, but as I’m more than happy with the Flat profile, not tried it.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

A pair of them are my current workhorses for hybrid work. 
Along with an S1H and a currently disabled S5.

I shoot both 8 bit 4K 50p and 10 bit 5k 25p with them and personally think that the 5k SOOC (flat profile) is some of the nicest footage I have seen.

Ah yes remember you had some. Is the 5K full frame or a crop?

And it’s 4:3 only?

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

The AF is more than pretty decent other than a lack of reliability in forward tracking unless using f4-8 where it gets quite reliable, especially with native lenses, but these don’t have that much over Sigma.

Two weaknesses for me:

I wish the 5k was 50/60p

15 min recording limit

I am sure I am not imagining it but there does seem to be something a bit more special coming from this sensor, especially in 5k mode and that must have something to do with it not being Sony?

No Vlog but yes it does HLG, but as I’m more than happy with the Flat profile, not tried it.

Tried the new L.neo colour profiles?

basically Panasonic film styles

No it’s pixel:pixel crop which for me is kind of fine and at the same time not fine.

I don’t mind the 4:3

I can’t fault the image quality, but it’s doing my head in a bit shooting hybrid where the stills and video focal lengths are different by a factor of x1.5 so one more reason why I’m off elsewhere as soon as I can.

I did try the L.neo actually and quite liked it in some ways but it’s an ‘acquired’ taste shall we say…

There is at least one YouTube video by Luca Bona using this profile, but I think on the S5 or S1?

17 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Not seen colour this nice since the Digital Bolex!

Think I may need to pick one up

Quite average look to me.
Heavily baked looking skin tones with barely any definition, same with the foliage. 

Looks like your standard Rec709 flat profile with contrast and Lut added.

I'm sure with HLG and a Log conversion (scene referred), results will be great though. Can do some tests in September. The Sensor is clearly capable, up to 8K75p!

I wonder if this camera had Cinelike D2, which is the only Rec709 profile on Panasonic cameras which doesn't mess with skin.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Surely last thing you want for skin is a ton of contrast and definition exaggerating blemishes and uneven tones. 

No such issues with Log and proper display conversions though, ever saw films shot on ARRI?

Poor dude here looks like his liver is failing and he's dealing with a heavy sunburn. Not flattering at all.

Which actually reminds me of Gen 4 Blackmagic footage where lots of work in post was necessary to get skin to look right, also a rather flat Rec709 gamma with gamut clipping issues. BMD Gen 5 Film fixed these issues.

• Administrators

Strange I wonder whether any of us see colour and contrast the same way.

It looks fine on my MacBook Pro m1 screen which is best screen I've ever used.

I was looking at some Digital Bolex clips and it really looks very similar to the skin tones in that.