Mac Mini M1: still worth it?

Ty Harper

Looking to say goodbye to my Hackintosh and hello to a Mac Mini M1 with 16GB RAM + 1TB internal storage. These things go for about $800US in my neck of the woods. I'd mostly be editing the R5C's 4K 422 10bit XF-AVC footage along with the 5D MKIII's 1080 ML RAW and maybe some 8K LT every so often. Basic talking head doc stuff with light to medium grading, etc.

Anyone with Mac Mini M1 experience that can tell me whether it can handle footage/projects like that?

And if not, does it make sense to go for the base model of the new Mac Studio? (can't afford anything higher) Or is there another Mac M1 model in that $800-$1600US price range I should considering?

Thanks in advance!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Ty Harper I have the same set-up that is perfectly capable of editing 6k multicam edits (S1+S5) in Final Cut. RAM usage gets a little tight sometimes with only 16 gigs, if you're bouncing between multiple applications open at the same time, video editor, photoshop, browser with lots of tabs, etc., but overall it has been a pretty reliable machine for me. 

I also have a totally maxed out M1 Max laptop and, at least for the edits I do (which is generally your basic talking-head multicam in a 4k project with b-roll overtop) I don't really notice a huge difference between the $4k laptop and the $800 Mac Mini, so I wouldn't be in a huge rush to go splurge on a Studio unless you really want to. 

I do wish the mini had more thunderbolt IO. I use one port to go to my LG 5k display, and the other port gets used by a 10 gig adapter to my server, so that's kind of limiting, vs the newer apple computers with more IO for connecting fast peripherals, but for the price, it's definitely a good bang-for-buck purchase. 

28 minutes ago, Parker said:

@Ty Harper I have the same set-up that is perfectly capable of editing 6k multicam edits (S1+S5) in Final Cut. RAM usage gets a little tight sometimes with only 16 gigs, if you're bouncing between multiple applications open at the same time, video editor, photoshop, browser with lots of tabs, etc., but overall it has been a pretty reliable machine for me. 

I also have a totally maxed out M1 Max laptop and, at least for the edits I do (which is generally your basic talking-head multicam in a 4k project with b-roll overtop) I don't really notice a huge difference between the $4k laptop and the $800 Mac Mini, so I wouldn't be in a huge rush to go splurge on a Studio unless you really want to. 

I do wish the mini had more thunderbolt IO. I use one port to go to my LG 5k display, and the other port gets used by a 10 gig adapter to my server, so that's kind of limiting, vs the newer apple computers with more IO for connecting fast peripherals, but for the price, it's definitely a good bang-for-buck purchase. 

Cool, thanks for this! What are you using as an audio interface?

24 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah I got one recently as well. Prettt good.

2 lightning ports does kinda suck. Did not know until I tried to connect external disks and mouse 😄

Yeah that seems like the main thing you gotta workaround... any idea what the best ports are for these M1s? 

I'm holding out for an M2 Mini, which seems like it should be on the not-to-distant horizon, either later this year or sometime next. I'm still using a 2013 trashcan Mac Pro for Resolve, which still works fine, but it won't be compatible with future versions of Mac OS. I love the Mini form factor (I have a 2014 i5 Mini as well) and since I'm only editing HD footage I think the Studio would be overkill.