Shooting 4K for 2K on the Panasonic GH4 plus pre-review short film

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

My full review of the Panasonic GH4 (final retail unit) is coming next week. Until then I am enjoying Philip Bloom's views on the camera here!

A big thanks to B&H Photo & Video in the US for shipping internationally a GH4 unit with no recording limits, I got it before it was even available in Europe. Delivery took just 2 days! Impressed!

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Really like your new short 'The Machine,' Very nice experimental feel to it, which you're not new to utilizing. The editing and style is more important than the quality of the GH4 here, which is refreshing with all the recent GH4 tests. That being said, you do have some very good quality "cinematic" shots in there. I'm interested to see your tests with your new EF focal reducer purchase as well as more anamorphic tests. Ryan Glover did a nice test with Lomo glass that I haven't seen posted here:

The short looks lovely.

I have a question about something I seem to be seeing in almost all the GH4 footage, but I can't tell if it is a grading choice or what. The greens (particularly foliage greens) seem kind of garish and lacking in dynamic range - there is one green, and it is really bright. Is that an artifact of recovering the skin tones, or actually just part of the color response of the camera?

The 4K Ex-Tele thing in post is very useful as it's fully zoomable in post of course. For people wondering, the in-camera version of the Ex-tele mode works in the HD modes so if you turn it on then it acts as an extra reminder should you accidentally switch from 4k to HD. Hmmm if it starts to do 1:1 in 1080 ex-tele I wonder if that might appear better quality than the averaging thing it does normally...?

Hi Andrew,

Some questions which could be helpful please:

1. Will it make a difference if you use GH4 with Metabones Nikon G to BMCC or the Normal Metabones Nikon G to M4/3? 
2. Whats the difference you get if you use full frame Nikon Lenses?
3. Can Nikon Lenses with Electronic Aperture be used (like the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR) and work with the GH4 + Meta bones adapter? would they work?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to to the maths well before committing to new hardware :)
Thanks

Do you still have the benefits of shooting 4K if you transcode to 2K before editing ?
I'm referring to lack of moire and aliasing, detail/resolution, ...

I'm asking because I'm considering the following workflow :

shoot in 4K > convert to 2K > edit and grade > export to 2K

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. I'm considering the same workflow hoping to keep more colour info in the file (less banding) than if I shot 1080p. Wonder if there is a user friendly transcoding App that converts 4K 4.2.0 material shot in camera to full 1080p 4.2.2 or 4.4.4 ready for editing?

Hope someone has an answer to this!

• Administrators

Really like your new short 'The Machine,' Very nice experimental feel to it, which you're not new to utilizing. The editing and style is more important than the quality of the GH4 here, which is refreshing with all the recent GH4 tests. That being said, you do have some very good quality "cinematic" shots in there. I'm interested to see your tests with your new EF focal reducer purchase as well as more anamorphic tests. Ryan Glover did a nice test with Lomo glass that I haven't seen posted here:

>

edit: Also what is this you mention about better raw look out of a 5d mk ii vs mk iii ? Going to have to try this out for myself...

The Mk II raw with anti-aliasing filter installed is very interesting. It doesn't quite have the ultra-clean feel of the 5D3 so feels more analogue. I am working on an updated Shooter's Guide for both the 5D3 and 5D2, plus have shot a ton of stuff which isn't yet published! There will be many more articles in the coming weeks on this and quite a few surprises :)

• Administrators

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. I'm considering the same workflow hoping to keep more colour info in the file (less banding) than if I shot 1080p. Wonder if there is a user friendly transcoding App that converts 4K 4.2.0 material shot in camera to full 1080p 4.2.2 or 4.4.4 ready for editing?

Hope someone has an answer to this!

Try this app -

http://www.eoshd.com/content/12594/exclusive-first-app-resample-panasonic-gh4-4k-8bit-10bit-444

Many thanks Andrew..... however - as embarrassing as this is to write in a virtual room full of amazing computer minds - I have to say that I have no idea how to run this application. I read the explanation and have to say it's about as easy to navigate as German grammar. Please give me drag n'drop and I'm happy.

I must admit I tried this App once before - hence my wording - "user friendly transcoding app"

However, much appreciated!

Nice shorty and cute girl!
How is it with using copyrighted music like you did? I made a short years ago which I never dared to put on vimeo because I used some music of Messian ( french "compositeur classique")?

I've been confused with the crops factors on the camera cause it seems lots of people seem to be bouncing back and forth between FF or Super 35mm when talking about cropping. Does shooting in C4K/UHD change the cropping to S35? What does it end up being with and without a Speedbooster, in Super 35mm?

Screenshot-2014-05-12-23.58.58.jpg

Super35mm crop factor to full frame is usually around 1.5x

With standard Micro4/3 Speed Booster, C4K mode becomes 1.63x crop (.71 x 2.3 )

BMCC Speed Booster makes it 1.47x crop (.64 x 2.3 )

In 1080p/stills mode, with the standard Micro4/3 booster - 1.42x crop

and BMCC booster - 1.28x

edit: Sorry, misunderstood your question with regard to what crop factor is to Super35mm standard. Andrew just answered it though

• Administrators

I've been confused with the crops factors on the camera cause it seems lots of people seem to be bouncing back and forth between FF or Super 35mm when talking about cropping. Does shooting in C4K/UHD change the cropping to S35? What does it end up being with and without a Speedbooster, in Super 35mm?

It ends up being a 0.9x crop with BMCC Speed Booster if you compare it to the typical Super 35mm sensor size. I.e. it goes larger than Super 35mm, but still a 1.4x crop over photographic full frame.

I'm of two minds about this, as least as it pertains to the review of the GH4. On the one hand, it's a beautiful piece, and really showcases the potential of the camera. On the other, you contrast it with some of the garbage being shot on the GH4 (