RED Hydrogen One RAW video dynamic range compared to Sony A7 IV

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Have to say I am a bit impressed by this result, not just how well the smartphone keeps up with full frame but because it shoots internal 4K RAW (Motion Cam) and A7 IV, erm, doesn't!

But just for kicks I did shoot a RAW still on the Sony to see how it would come out versus the RED (RIP) Hydrogen One. It is not even a very modern smartphone by the standards of 2022. It comes from 3 years ago.

HydrogenOne 4K RAW converted to JPEG:

VIDEO_20220814_162706_000010b.jpg

Sony A7 IV

DSC09944b.jpg

Yes of course the A7 IV is cleaner in the shadows, I wasn't able to push the phone as far around the wall and tree due to noise, but there's something about the way the dynamic range is handled on the phone I like. I think the A7 IV almost has an HDR effect going on whereas the phone seems more real to me.

It was much easier to do a quick grade that looked nice on the phone as well.

Anyone let me know if any interest in doing a more serious comparison and in downloading the original RAW files if you want to grade them yourselves.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The phone Raw reminds of the M43 12MPix sensor from the Lumix GF1, but with higher dynamic range. GF1 had some harsh highlight rolloff. Very interested in Raw video from phones in general. Would love to learn more how to implement that into practical filmmaking, data management included due to the large file sizes. I would love a 2.5K Raw mode, downsamplemd from the whole sensor in 3:1 cDNG from a 1inch or closeley sized sensor. Exiting stuff. Usuable entry models around 200USD would break the ice for me.

Well, you know I am all eyes and ears for Smartphone stuff. What amazes me is how on an iPhone especially right out of camera is really about as good as you are going to get for the average person other than DoF  stuff from a real camera and even that on my new OnePlus 9 Pro is not even bad.  They have the HDR, AI, Computational stuff Really down pat on them. The video side is amazing also. And sure, it is not great blown up to big sizes but who even does that anymore.

But yes, this raw stuff is really getting good and interesting. It is certainly the future for new people getting into all this stuff. going to be even more Super exciting down the road.

• 2 months later...