RX100M3 topic

Jacek

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Also, a possible Multi Interface Shoe, with a Microphone Input via the ECM-XYST1M,

Atleast according to the specs here:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-rx100miii-priced-at-899-canadiad-us-dollars-full-specs-leaked/

What that I find wierd about it is that in the pictures there appears to be no room for a shoe mount..

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-hot-first-rx100m3-images-leaked/

guess we'll wait a little more to find out.

• Administrators

The potentially fixes one of the biggest problems with the RX10 (AVCHD codec break-up) and puts it into a tiny form factor. Could be really nice. I was a big fan of the previous RX100s.

The pop-up EVF is cool too.

Maybe for You, but not for me ;)

In Europe the price is 45% higher: 850EUR = 1160USD, so definitely not under 1000USD

And no, It's not normal. For example GH4 is 1500EUR = 2050USD = 20% higher (=VAT).

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Remember it's software stabilization. Not like the Olympus 5 Axis Mechanical IBIS.

Though, I will not speculate if stabilization good or bad based on this information as I haven't used nor seen it.

It sounds like a winner. Not my kind of camera (bulky ones!) but I like what they're doing.

I like what they're doing as well. I'm pretty invested in the Nikon 1 system right now as my ultra portable stills/video cam. Though video mode has always looked better on the rx100 compared to nikon 1 series in my opinion. Nikon 1 doesn't offer 1080 24p/25p which is a bummer, but it's 30/60fps full resolution burst mode is too good to pass up. No camera has it all, but this new rx100 definitely has a lot going for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe for You, but not for me ;)

In Europe the price is 45% higher: 850EUR = 1160USD, so definitely not under 1000USD

I believe the US prices announced are usually without local sales tax, so the IRL difference is likely to be somewhat smaller. But still, oh well, such is life. Maybe the Asian companies are shamelessly taking advantage of the currently high Euro or something.

Remember it's software stabilization. Not like the Olympus 5 Axis Mechanical IBIS.

Though, I will not speculate if stabilization good or bad based on this information as I haven't used nor seen it.

It sounds like a winner. Not my kind of camera (bulky ones!) but I like what they're doing.

Yeap, 5-axis or not, if it's all software, I believe the most important feature of it will be the ability to turn it off. But I agree about the notion of holding further judgement before actually seeing the thing IRL, and/or getting more real life samples from reliable sources.

That aside, it does indeed sound like an interesting pocket camera. Unfortunately the Canucks didn't make it clear in their video, but in case there is a nice and sensible way to focus and adjust the exposure manually in video mode, I might seriously consider getting one. Although it is a bit pricey, even for a serious compact.

Get a small and cheap L bracket and a Zoom H1, and you'd still be fairly pocketable with decent sound. Maybe even with the small new Atomos Ninja Star. An overkill, perhaps, but still a highly portable one man video production system. The stealth factor might suffer a bit with all those attached, though.

PS.

If I didn't have an intern to walk beside me with a Ninja, I'd probably just attach the recorder on the bottom of the camera with a double male 1/4 screw adaptor.  The recorder would also work as a balancing weight reducing the shakiness of the handheld footage, even though it would look rather silly. A bit like the brick under the GH4. :)

Seriously?

I should have noted that my judgement was based on the footage alone, who had more RX100M3 footage to view. Obviously TCSTV produces great reviews, but in this instance their praises were not backed up by their video samples, in my opinion. They basically had a few seconds of footage intermingled, that really didn't do the camera any justice. 

Anyhow, here is some more footage that's been posted. I post these merely for those curious to see the first footage popping up online, obviously these videos should be taken with a grain of salt. 

Yes this will be a good camera. RX100 was very useful but the codec was poor, so I sold it. It didn't cut with other stuff well and fell apart easily.

Looks like you'll still need to under-expose a little and push in post to avoid hard highlights

I doubt I'll buy it due to the price.

Oh wait, it has a faster lens AND 100fps at 720?

OK maybe I will buy it!!!

The lens still works out as a 24 - 70 f5ish to f8ish so it wont be the best for shallow DOF but I think it'll be a usefull tool.

Except in low light, where you'll need to push the ISO pretty high.

And then it gets really noisy...

Oh now I remember why I sold the mark one. God dammit.