Help with stabilizing GH4 images while shooting handheld

Derek Weston

Hi.

I am having trouble getting good stable shots in car (and handheld in general) with the GH4. I've been shooting 4k 24P widescreen mode. (want as wide an image as I can get)

Would going to 30p make a noticeable difference?

My lens is the 12-35 2.8 . . . has stabilization, but am not that impressed by its stabilizing capabilities. Is there any reason to think the 14-140 3.5-5.6 may have better stabilization?

I think it's basically a combo of the camera being physically rather small and lightweight, and the rolling shutter at 4k.

Is there a very small easy to use tool that would greatly help my situation? Weight it down and dampen movements?

Shoulder harness is too big and bulky for my situation.

FWIW, I feel its easier to get steady footage with my D800 24-120 VR combo, if that's a useful frame of reference.

(some combination of better weight, less rolling shutter, and or better vibration reduction)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you find the 12-35 IS to be unsatisfactory for this particular purpose, then you'll probably find the same to be true for the 14-140.

For shooting from a car, you're going to want some sort of rig. Whether that's some sort of pistol grip/extra points of contact mini shoulder rig, suction cup mount, whatever, there are lots of relatively inexpensive options available. 

Fix a Manfrotto QR plate, the type with the metal loop used for tightening it, to the base of your cam

Then hook a luggage bungie cord through the loop and stand on the other end. Its a type of elasticated inertia which will smooth out the motion ;)

Plus its cheap........

Fix a Manfrotto QR plate, the type with the metal loop used for tightening it, to the base of your cam

Then hook a luggage bungie cord through the loop and stand on the other end. Its a type of elasticated inertia which will smooth out the motion ;)

Plus its cheap........

Interesting. Having a hard time visualizing how you see the bungie cord working, though. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I've decided I need a cage or something to simply add weight to help balance it out -- to kill micro-jitters.

My fullframe body/lens doesn't have this sort of jitter and I'm fairly certain the reason why is mass and weight.

With that said. . . any good recommendations on a good handheld cage for under 200 dollars?

I figure one of the GH3 offerings would do fine. . . I've just now started researching, though. Any advice would be great.

Thanks.