GH4 4K crashes Premier

rndmtsk

I've been trying to edit some 4K GH4 sample footage in Premiere Pro CS6 and it continually crashes my system. I'm using a 2.6 GHz i7 Macbook Pro with 8GB of ram on Mountain Lion. I realize that's not the most robust system, but considering what some other people have said they're using it doesn't seem like I should be having the amount of issues I am.

I can drop the 4K footage into a 1080 timeline just fine, but as soon as I scale the footage to the frame size - or sometimes once I try and play it back - Premiere says "Sorry, a serious error has occured that requires Adobe Premiere Pro to shutdown. We will attempt to save your current project." I get the same error if I try and create a sequence with the native resolution. I don't even get the chance to change my playback quality before it crashes. I can never open this project again without immediately getting this error. Premiere will prompt me to save a copy of the project and use that from then on, but this copy opens to the same error.

I've seen this error on my system before, but maybe like once or twice in the last 2 years. I've searched around on the internet for other people with this issue, and they seem to be everywhere, but I can't find an adequate solution. Has anyone else had this problem, 4K footage or not? If I'm an idiot and this has been answered plenty of other places, please link me. Super annoying thing that's making me doubt the GH4 right now... definitely don't want to have to upgrade my comp or to CC just to see if that resolves the issue...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't know much about Macs, but I would be looking at what percent of resources are being used, especially RAM (if you can get it to run that long).  8GB doesn't sound like a lot of RAM to me to be editing 4K videos.

Michael

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Well if it's worth anything, I am using 8GB of ram, i5 processor and editing GH4 files just fine. Sony Vegas though not CS6 so can't help.

Third gen i7, 12GB RAM. 

For kicks, I just cracked open my mid-2012 stock standard MacBook Pro (i5, 4 gigs RAM, Mavericks) and opened a GH4K file in Premiere, scaled it up to 500%, moved the frame all around, scrubbed through the timeline, and linked the audio into Audition. It's absolutely chugging along - it takes a couple seconds to go from one frame to the next at full res - but it's not crashing.

I've seen the error message you're referring to before, spontaneously, and rarely, on my desktop, editing GoPro footage. No such problems with the GH4 so far.

Adobe offers a free, complete CC trial for a month without a credit card - maybe worth giving it a shot, if for no other reason than to cut out some of the variables?