GH4 4K 4:2:2 recording

Sébastien Bourdain

Hello,

First of all, sorry if I didn't post in the right place..

Does anybody knows if the external 4K 4:2:2 recording with the forthcoming Atomos Shogun will require the YAGH or not? Already having sound recorders so I'll rather pass on the YAGH if 4:2:2 is available thanks to this new magical device that seems to be the Shogun!

Thanks for your answers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't have a test I can show but I can weigh in. I ran a test on all modes and didn't notice that much of a difference between the prores and the in camera hours, both at 200mbps All I and 100mbps IPB, as well as at 24 and 60 fps.

What I did notice is that you can tell the camera to down covert the 4k signal down to 1080p. This does crop the image slightly just like the 4k setting, but it seems to use an entirely different imaging pipeline. Downscaling in camera is noticeably sharper than the normal 1080p setting.

I also do notice some noise in the shadows at iso 200 and 400 using cine d. Still haven't figured out the best settings yet.

I did some 10bit recording on my Ninja2 from the GH4 - Too be honest I haven't got the eye to tell the difference. There was no 'night / day' wow difference.

The only thing I can say, is that the HDMI output of the GH4 now matches the internal recording much closer than the GH3.

I over laid two recordings in FCPX (one Ninja, one GH4) and you can't tell the difference, in colour, sharpness or contrast.