Rokinon/Samyang Cine lens help!

Daniel Acuña

Hi

I am planning on buying Rokinon/Samyang Cine lenses for my dslr, but as I was searching for a place to buy them, I saw a difference between the names of the same lense for example this two :

1) Rokinon 85mm T1.5 AS IF UMC Cine lens

2) Rokinon 85mm T1.5 Cine lens 

So I searched and I saw that UMC referees to the coating and its seems to be different from the other one. And I don't know what IF stands for tough.

So is different? Is the first one better than the other one?

I also found a difference in the name between the Samyang ones and the Rokinon ones, which surprises me because they are supposed to be the same lenses, right?

3) Samyang 35mm T1.5 ED AS UMC 

4) Rokinon 35mm T1.5 AS UMC

So now I am even more confused because I don't know what ED stands for... 

Please help me out understanding this. Are they actually different? Or are they exactly the same lenses?

PS: Sorry if I made a mistake in spelling, english is not my first language.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

ED = extra-low dispersion glass elements, reducing chromatic abberation. Not reducing the price of the lens, unfortunately.

AL = aspherical elements, used in wide angle lenses to get a flatter focus field and better corner/edge sharpness. Like ED, it costs more.

IF = internal focusing. Only glass elements inside the lens moves when you focus, the rear and front elements keep in place. The lens keeps the same size at all focusing distances. A bit more complicated for the engineers, thus adds to the price of the lens.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-85mm-t1-5-as-if-umc-lens-review-23494

Rokinon an Samyang are all the same lenses re branded

Yup. Samyang, (global), Rokinon (US), Bower (Asia?), Walimex (Germany) and even Vivitar (North America, Asia?) are the one and the same. Different brand names for different markets and delivery chains. Same candy in different wrappers. Looks like there is no significant price difference, either. 

I don't think there are differences between the lenses you mention. Just not all sites mention the full name.

There aren't multiple versions of the 85mm and 35mm T1.5 lenses as far as I know (there is a new 35mm Canon AE f/1.4 though, probably there'll be a Samyang AE 35mm T1.5 soon - this has electronic aperture control on Canon-bodies).

http://samyang.co.uk/index.php/vdslr-lenses-cine