Sony A7 IV official topic

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'll admit I haven't been following any threads on here that discuss the A74, but I've seen a number of videos on YT recently that seem to have some positive reflections on real-world use of the A74.  Apart from the overheating challenges, this seems like it could be a good contender - FF, PDAF, potentially good Sony colour science, and heaps of DR for the money.

12 hours ago, kye said:

I'll admit I haven't been following any threads on here that discuss the A74, but I've seen a number of videos on YT recently that seem to have some positive reflections on real-world use of the A74.  Apart from the overheating challenges, this seems like it could be a good contender - FF, PDAF, potentially good Sony colour science, and heaps of DR for the money.

Yeah seems to pretty much do everything you want, minus internal ND, internal RAW video, and full-frame 4k60. 

Also to be honest I’m not a fan of the 20,000 pinned posts. You have to either hunt through these or scroll down a lot to see who has most recently posted. 

I think the one bummer with the A7 IV is the rolling shutter of 27ms when shooting in full frame mode (according to Slashcam's measurement). I really can't buy another camera with such bad rolling shutter performance due to mainly shooting handheld, it's a headache.

Obviously it's good in APS-C mode but who buys a 2750€ camera to then crop in on the sensor all the time, might as well directly buy a good APS-C camera with other advantages.

59 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I think the one bummer with the A7 IV is the rolling shutter of 27ms when shooting in full frame mode (according to Slashcam's measurement). I really can't buy another camera with such bad rolling shutter performance due to mainly shooting handheld, it's a headache.

Obviously it's good in APS-C mode but who buys a 2750€ camera to then crop in on the sensor all the time, might as well directly buy a good APS-C camera with other advantages.

Like the R7 for 1000 less euros!

The AF is insane in this little camera and I have 3 adapters already. Normal Canon EF to RF, vND Meike and Viltrox 0.71X. In a way, it offers more options than a full frame one. I haven't tested the Viltrox one yet though. The other 2 are working amazingly.

The iv came close to being the first Sony I could make a proper case for as a hybrid.

Except that crop.

I came from XT3 where it was the same crop as the stills. No problem.

I am with Lumix S and retain the crop but have better FF stills.

The iv would just be a sideways move for me, so nope.

Otherwise looks a decent bit of kit.

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

The iv came close to being the first Sony I could make a proper case for as a hybrid.

Except that crop.

I came from XT3 where it was the same crop as the stills. No problem.

I am with Lumix S and retain the crop but have better FF stills.

The iv would just be a sideways move for me, so nope.

Otherwise looks a decent bit of kit.

Good point, you certainly have a unique, fascinating use case

4 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Yes, I have always been an oddball 🤪

Hey, in a world of Peter McKinnon copycats, a cavern haunted by LUT packs, an abandoned forest cursed by lightroom preset packs…

I’d say having a unique style and use-case is a blessing. 

• Administrators

I sold my A7S III and got the A7 IV instead.

For me it has a bit more mojo. Colours, and the new sensor at 30mp. Can shoot S35 and S16mm crops without killing the image quality. 10bit, better codecs than A7R IV. Low light pretty alright, at the ISOs I need it, but not A7S III level.

I am curious to compare it to my S1 next and see which wins the image quality battle in video mode. There are a LOT of variables though which makes these things a bit more tricky than in GH2 vs 5D Mark II days

I'm in love with my A7iv. It sorta of surprised me TBH. I've been making some major kit changes and decided to dip my toe into Sony with the A7iv just to see how I liked it. Within just a few days I was convinced that Sony was the right path forward for me and sold everything to rebuild my kit with the A7iv and A7s iii. No regrets whatsoever other than I wish I'd gone this route a little sooner.

The two cameras pair really nicely together, both with some unique features that make it worth having one of each. With all factors added in, I do think the A7iv is the better all-around video camera for most people's needs. 

Lumix S1 has a 3x crop in HD, which should make it possilbe to use lenses that were made for 16mm image circle, such as the 10-100mm Zeiss zooms with its F1.8 and F2.8 variantes, also the lens for 16mm film from the Russian Krasnogorsk cameras such as mir, vega and others. Btw, some S16 lenses cover S35 such as the Tevidon 35mm 1.9, a true killer lens. I tested that myself. So you can take that for granted.

Back to A7iv, other than AF and that S16 crop I don´t see a reason for me to switch from my S1. S16 on the A7iv should mean around 2.46K pixels in x-axis (7008 / 2.88) which would give it a true edge compared to the S1 with its 16mm gate and HD resolution for its 3x crop mode. But then S1 might allow me to use 16mm lenses with its smaller image cirlce in 3x crop mode. I think colour science on the A73 was pretty nice, so an A7iv with even nicer colour makes it indeed interesting from an image related point of view.

In addition to my previous takes on my A7iv – at least when you own a lot of bread and butter vintage analogue lenses and like to shoot photos with them – you might be a little disappointed. I put the A7 and the A7iv side by side with the Minolta MD 28/2.8, 35/1.8 and the 50/1.7, and I am left with the impression that the old A7 produces noticeably better, i.e. more detailed results. I don't know the reason, maybe the newer sensor is less forgiving facing average quality glass, but this puzzles me quite a bit.    

a7_a7iv.jpg

1 hour ago, Phil A said:

You didn't hit the same focus in both pictures. If this is with the same lens at the same aperture, the plant in the foreground shouldn't be this much sharper on the left than the right pic.

All pics are like that, I employed focus peaking on both devices and used the same settings like apterture and shutter speed.