Nikon Z9 / Firmware 2.0 Official Topic

androidlad

16 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

WEX showed it in-stock for all of 10 seconds yesterday. Apparently a lot of shipments going out at the moment, but apparently not enough to satisfy the hordes!

Yeah I'm noticing restocks are under way here in France as well although probably not for long. PS5 style.

I also want one.. just because I love Nikon and this seems like the ultimate one, but I can't help but feel I'll be trapped in a dying ecosystem and too many unknowns as far as video for me to go blindly into such an expense.

Hopefully you or someone else here with pull the trigger and put it through its paces so we can have a clearer picture of real world video capabilities!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Trapped into a dying ecosystem! Are you confusing Z mount with EOS M or something there 😉

Native Z lenses aren't my bag (although the 50 and 35 1.8 are decent bargains) but it's an enormously flexible mount. Compared to EOS R mount, I can adapt Sony E mount lenses to Z, which I can't with R or L or M43. I don't think there are c-mount Bolex adapters for R but there are for Z. Then with the broader manual lens eco system being PL, Leica M, Canon FD and also Canon EF via the Z mount Fringer adapter for nigh on perfect AF and the Nikon F-Z mount adapter, the ecosystem for lenses looks pretty strong to me.

Unless you are talking about the ecosystem of the planet, now that is fucked.

Lol.. call me pessimistic but I just feel Nikon aren't going to be around for so long. Their financial problems are no secret and they could barely get this Z9 out the door and its already on V3! You can adapt glass on just about all these mirrorless mounts so that's not even the issue.. I left Nikon after my D750 took 5 months to get the parts in (for a mass series failure that really shouldn't have been there in the first place). The European customer service was a living nightmare too. Stuff like this matters when you're on the field and need your daily gear up and running.

Well Japan is No. 1 on my bucket list of countries to visit.

They are supposed to be offering some kind of financial inventive to visit.

An empty suitcase visit might be on the cards…

Scuff ‘em up slightly, post or dump the packaging.

Maybe a mass EOSHD shopping trip?

Sound like a plan?

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

On a purely aesthetic level, the 907x had me in much the same position.

811798531_ScreenShot2022-10-27at14_17_14.png.29d9d8f3e67258554246d525294d396e.png

Looking at that pic again, it might still have me !

It certainly appeals more than the other box cameras!! BGH1 anyone!?

I'm downloading this v3 as I did with v2 just to be on the safe side in case they don't prevail !

LOL. Did the same. Just in case Nikon's patent swap tactics don't get pulled off.

The exciting thing is if Nikon do win they can get the internal RAW into their lower tier cameras pretty pronto.

Canon have really dropped a bollock with the 3rd party lens and adapter stuff too as who knows when they could just switch them all off.

Even if Sigma end up not making Z mount lenses, can always adapt the E-mount versions.

Unlike with RF!

I think whilst both Canon and Nikon get their mirrorless lens ranges sold through and established they're both going to be wary of any competition intruding on their little walled garden.

There is also a Mark II of that E-mount Techart adapter thing, which hopefully makes it bullet proof reliable especially on Z9 with latest firmware. Or it could just not work at all. Only one way to find out isn't there!!

I'm not going to get all crazy and sell the 200 that I've already got 😉 

I'd likely not part with the Fp even if I was.

The EVF is on the Japan list.

Which is code for " I'll likely get a used Fp-L there while I'm at it too as the EVF is bundled in and I can shamelessly claim to have 'saved money' ".

Might not be such an easy purchase there actually as whilst the rest of the world is largely underwhelmed by the Fp/Fp-L it is very much a beloved piece in Japan.

The rest of the world is too obsessed with AF and IBIS to give it much attention!

I think it is the closest thing to a spiritual successor of Magic Lantern on a full frame DSLR.

There is something about Cinema DNG that screams RAW.

More so than any other.

Although we'll hopefully see what N-RAW brings especially roughed up a bit with an old lens and ISO 3200

10 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Well Japan is No. 1 on my bucket list of countries to visit.

They are supposed to be offering some kind of financial inventive to visit.

An empty suitcase visit might be on the cards…

Scuff ‘em up slightly, post or dump the packaging.

Maybe a mass EOSHD shopping trip?

Sound like a plan?

when there is a will there's a way! I had to buy an extra suitcase last time I was in Tokyo, camera gear wasn't even on the main shopping list..

• Super Members

Nikon have launched the MC-N10, a $429 remote grip for the Z9 which really does bring a lot to the party for video shooters.

it let’s you control all aspects of the camera like ISO/Shutter/Aperture etc but also has some neat tricks for focus and zoom.

They are not making getting the Z9 any less appealing are they ?

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Nikon have launched the MC-N10, a $429 remote grip for the Z9 which really does bring a lot to the party for video shooters.

it let’s you control all aspects of the camera like ISO/Shutter/Aperture etc but also has some neat tricks for focus and zoom.

They are not making getting the Z9 any less appealing are they ?

It should be both wired and wireless as the gimbal example is just a pain with a cable and there should be more power zoom lenses... I believe Nikon has no FF ones and neither Canon has if you exclude the Cine ones.

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

It should be both wired and wireless as the gimbal example is just a pain with a cable there should be more power zoom lenses

The Z9 does have BLE so it would be feasible but the recent firmware update that allows timecode over BLE takes precedence of that interface so likely forced the wired route.

Thats not to say someone couldn't come up with a wireless interface set that bridged the output to the input on the camera.

I think the inclusion of the zoom functions are to give a more tactile way of controlling the new virtual zoom functions.

17 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

There should be more power zoom lensesI believe Nikon has no FF ones and neither Canon has if you exclude the Cine ones.

Canon has an adapter for one of their still lenses to add servo control but, yeah, its not exactly a standard.

I have power zoom lenses from Panasonic (very clunky and not a great lens to boot) and Sony (quite good but not full frame) and my view is its better to use a Nucleus Nano to control zoom anyway as for sub £200 I can use it with any and all of my lenses.

The new version of it thats imminent looks to be a lot better (and cheaper ) too.

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Quite surprised how on the ball Nikon is at the moment. I think it was a make or break year for the company and they are having to push to survive.

Yep. I'm keeping a close eye on old Nikon...

Right now, off-loading most, if not all of my current system, I'm sitting on the fence regarding a new system...

My 'ideal' would be within L Mount, they pop something out that meets my needs, but we're talking literally the next 3-4 months to be available or I can't do it.

Sony as an ecosystem ticks the most boxes right now and with an A7RV + 2x FX30 combo is the most likely contender.

Fuji XH2/XH2S combo sits in the wings as an alternative and it's more the lens choices which I struggle with slightly as in Tamron makes for Sony the 'ideal' lenses for me and there is no Fuji system equivalent...and that's a pretty big deal.

But Nikon has THE camera that intrigues me the most. Apart from the Hassie X2D, but as that has zero stills capability, it's  pure fantasy.

The Z9 just is, as they say, da bomb.

And if it's capability does come in reduced size Z8 format as is rumoured...and that can happen within the next 3-4 months, then yay, I have another contender to consider.

But otherwise yes, Nikon seem to have some momentum right now. I hope they keep that moving forward.